It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Val's 2011 gardening thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 1:13 pm

Okay, I'm curious, what's the special attraction to rose 1 and 7? I mean I do have my favorites but it would be at least 5 of them. Laughing

snrose wrote:
i just remembered someone up the street from me has a huge japanese magnolia..i'll have to snap a picture of its GORGEOUS flowers for you! at least i'm pretty sure it is one..haha Smile your roses are awesome! i might have to look into getting some to go along my fence lines...they are just so pretty!

Please do, I'd love to see a larger one especially. A few of my neighbors have Japanese Magnolias but they are all on the smaller side like mine, no more than 5-6 ft tall. And the rose bushes lined up along the fence are a sight to behold. I've tried taking pics at different angles and end up deleting all of them because the camera just cannot capture the fully effect that you can only get in person. It looks amazing so I am really disappointed I can't share what I am seeing with others. The camera just does not do it justice.

Goodness me, hubby got the bill for all my plant purchases this month. Shocked

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 1:28 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Okay, I'm curious, what's the special attraction to rose 1 and 7? I mean I do have my favorites but it would be at least 5 of them. Laughing

Goodness me, hubby got the bill for all my plant purchases this month. Shocked

For me, the attraction to rose 1 and 7 is because they are multi-colored petals. I LOVE how it fades into a different color toward the edges.

Shocked Did her freak out at the bill? I hope not! He'll have GEORGEOUS plants and flowers all over the house!

I'm shocked I owe federal taxes for the first time ever! Shocked Mad Crying or Very sad I'm shocked and not sure if I am going to cry just yet...

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 1:36 pm

No he didn't freak out over the bill, he saw all my receipts for each purchase but when you get the monthly bill that includes all the purchases together...well, over $1k on plants alone was more than both of us expected to spend in a 3 week period. Shocked

Aww hun, hopefully you don't owe much. We just finished filing our taxes and will be getting a very hefty tax refund.

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 1:50 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Aww hun, hopefully you don't owe much. We just finished filing our taxes and will be getting a very hefty tax refund.

We owe over $1K in federal taxed but we get back some in state so it makes the blow to my wallet a little less hefty...still, it's a blow and shock as I've NEVER had to owe; more like get a return of a few thousand. *SIGH*

I'm glad you'll get a nice return!

It's probably because hubby and I are DINKs = double income no kids. I tried to claim Ginger as a dependent. After all, she depends on us for food, shelter, medical care, and isn't old enough to work and cannot be claimed by someone else as a dependent. Doesn't that qualify?? Smile I even tried to get her on welfare - after all, she doesn't know who her real daddy is, she's colored, she's unemployed and doesn't speak english! The welfare ladies said those were the qualifications, so doesn't Ginger qualify? LOL! Laughing

Now I gotta talk to a tax guy on ways to find tax shelters for 2011!....

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 2:03 pm

cmanding wrote:
I tried to claim Ginger as a dependent. After all, she depends on us for food, shelter, medical care, and isn't old enough to work and cannot be claimed by someone else as a dependent. Doesn't that qualify?? Smile I even tried to get her on welfare - after all, she doesn't know who her real daddy is, she's colored, she's unemployed and doesn't speak english! The welfare ladies said those were the qualifications, so doesn't Ginger qualify? LOL! Laughing

lol! Every year hubby wants to file ours as dependents too!

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 2:17 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
lol! Every year hubby wants to file ours as dependents too!

I think if everyone, who don't have kids but have dogs, should be able to claim them as dependents and get SOMETHING back from Uncle Sam! I'm not saying it should be as much as human kids, but it should be something. After all, aren't humans 'animals'? I think if we could do that, there would be less homeless pets....that's my opinion anyway.... Smile

Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 3:26 pm

Val...here is what i believe to be a giant magnolia up the street from me..now that i look at it i'm not sure if its of the japanese variety or not.

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 2011-019

what the flowers look like:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 Pink-magnolia-3
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 4:18 pm

WOW! That is stunning! I'm new to Japanese Magnolias myself so I couldn't tell you for sure but that tree is gorgeous nonetheless!

And I agree Claudia, we should get some kind of break!

Adult
Adult
snrose

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 4:21 pm

i'll tell you..its dropping flowers currently and thats QUITE the mess to clean up, haha.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 4:16 pm

Oh my gosh I'm outta control! I think I should not be allowed to go shopping for a while! So much for being done with my spring planting!

I went shopping today and could not resist, I swear the flowers at the store have a spell on me that forces me to buy them!

I came home today with:

3 Cinnamon ferns
3 Japanese Hairy Toad lilies
3 Tennessee Ostrich ferns
10 Blue Boy Phlox
6 Autumn Joy Sedum
4 Moonbeam Sedum

All are bare root btw. Fingers crossed it stops raining tomorrow so I can plant them!

I seriously have to stop shopping.

Does anyone know if a bright red trailing perennial verbena exists? And if it does what might it be called? My neighbor put in a brilliant red flower in her front yard that looks just like a trailing Homestead Purple Verbena only in red instead of purple. You have no idea how jealous I am right now but haven't had an opportunity to ask her about them.

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 4:40 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Oh my gosh I'm outta control! I think I should not be allowed to go shopping for a while! So much for being done with my spring planting!

I went shopping today and could not resist, I swear the flowers at the store have a spell on me that forces me to buy them!

The flowers have a spell on you probably because they are very pretty and they would look even more pretty in your yard!

DO NOT!...I repeat, DO NOT go shopping for plants and flowers anymore!
Shocked
Smile

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 5:07 pm

cmanding wrote:
DO NOT!...I repeat, DO NOT go shopping for plants and flowers anymore!
Shocked
Smile

Very Happy I need to print that out and take it with me to the store next time I have to do any kind of shopping! And you're right, the whole time I was thinking how great everything would look in my yard! Rolling Eyes I need more will power and to tell myself NO MORE! It's so hard when you get wrapped up in the moment. Honestly I had a lot more in my cart before I checked out but decided to put some stuff back so hubby wouldn't have a heart attack when I got home. Razz

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 5:11 pm

Okay just a little addendum, IF I find out that there is a red trailing perennial verbena out there I will be getting it...no question. That's a big "IF" and I will try not to get anything else besides that if it does exist. Oh gosh I hope it exists! silent

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 5:17 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Okay just a little addendum, IF I find out that there is a red trailing perennial verbena out there I will be getting it...no question. That's a big "IF" and I will try not to get anything else besides that if it does exist. Oh gosh I hope it exists! silent

OK. But that's the ONLY thing else you're allowed to buy...for the yard! NOTHING else but that one red trailing perennial verbena...THAT'S it! You hear me?? LOL!

On the other hand...if Faith or Glory or Dakota wanted a new plant...well, that's a different story... lol!

Adult
Adult
snrose

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 5:31 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 7:22 pm

cmanding wrote:
On the other hand...if Faith or Glory or Dakota wanted a new plant...well, that's a different story... lol!

Laughing That's not helping! LOL

Did a little searching on the net and found this lovely little specimen:

Trailing Verbena 'Red Velvet'

WANT!!!!!!!

Oh Claudia, I can't just have one...I have to get at least 2 or 3! Twisted Evil Oh gosh, now I have to find this plant...but to do so would mean putting myself around more plants. Neutral Next time I go shopping I will be thinking of you Claudia reminding me to only get what I came for. Smile

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 7:26 pm

STEP AWAY FROM ALL OTHER PLANTS!!! Shocked

You are only allowed to buy the Trailing Verbena 'Red Velvet'!
Very Happy

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 7:30 pm

lol! Thank you, I need to print that and take it with me!

Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 10:33 pm

You guys are too funny!!

BTW, you and Shannon are making me want some ferns. I have SO much shade they would do very well. I also need a low growing plant at the mailbox in some sun... I'm thinkin' SEDUM!! I had some at my last house and have noticed some doing well in other yards in the neighborhood...

I figure since I'll be walking around the neighborhood burning of Sabaka's never-ending puppy energy I'll be seeing other people's yards more than my own. I just hope the neighbors are planting some good stuff this spring!! lol!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 11:54 pm

LOL Lisa, I walk my entire neighborhood and am constantly taking the opportunity to see what my neighbors have and get ideas!

I'm thinking of something for around my mailbox too but haven't decided yet. For me that will probably be a project for next year.

Are you going to start up a gardening thread too, Lisa? You seem very knowledgeable and I am really intrigued to know what you've got in your garden. Wink

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 12:09 am

I walk around my neighborhood, and I see almost every other house has daffodils! (At least I think that's what they are - or was told that was what they are). And I'm so jealous!

Some of my pansies survived the hail storm last summer, so I have a few of them in the front of my house, but we'll need to plant some flowers to fill in the spaces where the pansies just died...

I need to figure out perennials and their blooming time. I want to have flowere bloom at different times throughout the spring/summer/fall, so I always have flowers in the front. I think daffodils bloom early spring and that's it.

Any ideas of flowers that I can plant to stagger their bloom time throughout the season?

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 12:43 am

Mums are a great fall plant and they get huge! Get the $1 ones this fall and they will be triple the size next summer. Dasieys bloom all summer. Claudia we can go shopping! I love to help.

Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 12:47 am

I may just have to start my own thread, Val! Ha ha! We bought this house in June 2009 so last spring was the only planting season we've had. I've moved some plants that I think will thrive better in different lighting and added a few new ones. There are shrubs planted around this house that makes me wonder what the previous owners were smoking when they planted them! I have overgrown holly bushes and trees everywhere! We basically have 3/4 acre of "woods", so lots of shade! I divided hostas that were as big as medium-sized bushes last weekend and planted them elsewhere!

Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 12:54 am

SabakaMom wrote:
I may just have to start my own thread, Val! Ha ha! We bought this house in June 2009 so last spring was the only planting season we've had. I've moved some plants that I think will thrive better in different lighting and added a few new ones. There are shrubs planted around this house that makes me wonder what the previous owners were smoking when they planted them! I have overgrown holly bushes and trees everywhere! We basically have 3/4 acre of "woods", so lots of shade! I divided hostas that were as big as medium-sized bushes last weekend and planted them elsewhere!

I say you should start a thread with us! I'd love to see your yard/ideas! Especially since we are in the same climate zone Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 1:12 am

cmanding wrote:
I need to figure out perennials and their blooming time. I want to have flowere bloom at different times throughout the spring/summer/fall, so I always have flowers in the front. I think daffodils bloom early spring and that's it.

Any ideas of flowers that I can plant to stagger their bloom time throughout the season?

I don't know what does well where you are but I chose my flowers and their positions based on their bloom times as well to ensure that I would have blooms from spring to fall. My mom did the same in her flower garden.

I think you need to start a gardening thread too Claudia, it's getting contagious! Very Happy

snrose wrote:
SabakaMom wrote:
I may just have to start my own thread, Val!
I say you should start a thread with us! I'd love to see your yard/ideas!

I second that! Maybe you can give us some inspiration as well! Boy I wish you lived near me, Lisa, and could coach me on my gardening and give me more ideas.

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Val's 2011 gardening thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next