It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Val's 2011 gardening thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Really looks lovely Val!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 6:27 pm

I finally bit the bullet and went to Tagawa Garden Supply and bought some low flowers, stepables and ground covers to help fill in the bare spots where hubby ripped out the pansies. Didn't think I'd spend that much, but it'll keep coming back. We've got just a few more plants to get to fill everything in...but I think that's going to have to wait until the Fall.

I wish I could come see your front and back yard...I bet it's beautiful!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 6:45 pm

YEAH!!! Claudia bit the bullet! Welcome to the club. I hope u used all the deals I told u about Smile can't wait to see pics

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 8:17 pm

jbealer wrote:
YEAH!!! Claudia bit the bullet! Welcome to the club. I hope u used all the deals I told u about Smile can't wait to see pics

I did! Thanks for the tips!
I didn't think I could spend the 'WHOLE' day at Tagawa, but....I could see myself wandering around there for HOURS!

We know want to go back to spend out 'Kitty bucks' that we earned on today's purchase....and since we have a little more to fill in, we WILL be going back!!! tongue

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Thanks ladies and I expect some pics soon, Claudia! Will we see a new gardening thread for you perhaps? Wink

I went out after dinner to water my flowers and found one of my May Night Salvia plants almost completely BLACK! Yesterday morning I watered it and it was just fine and this afternoon it looks like it's been torched?!?! Shocked I can't figure out what could have happened especially considering that everything around it and my other Salvia are all doing just fine. confused

So the sudden death of my Salvia, coupled with the lump I found on Faith has completely ruined my mood for the evening. Crying or Very sad I need to get off of here before I bring my dark cloud with me.

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 9:28 pm

Oh no!!
I have no advice to offer for your Salvia...as I don't know much about gardening....but I'm thinking I may start a gardening thread since I 'bit the bullet'....

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 12:14 pm

I think the Salvia is pretty much dead now. My pincushion flowers around the mailbox have deteriorated to the point that I am not sure if they will make it either. I think with the purple pincushion flowers they could not handle the all day intense heat and humidity. I've pulled them out and put them in pots, we'll see if they recover in the pots in partial sun...I'm not holding my breath.

So I planted my 2 Moxie Blanket Flowers by the mailbox yesterday, they are supposed to be able to tolerate the heat...I sure hope so! They have a few heads that are about to open up!
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 IMAG0008

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 12:16 pm

Oh and now that we finally have the new sprinkler zones added to our existing irrigation all the flower beds will now be watered by the sprinkler system rather than me having to hand water. So now all that stuff I bought from the end of May till now can finally be planted! bounce

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 3:12 pm

I know, I know...I did it again...what's new, right? Lowes' clearance plant section is like a magnet for me and you know I can't walk away empty handed. Those poor plants NEED me! Wink

Today's Lowes clearance haul includes:

3 Dwarf Burford Hollies
4 Purple Butterfly Bushes
5 Saucy Seduction Yarrow
1 Leyland Cypress
1 White petunia

Geez I could barely fit it all in my car!

A pic of today's spoils:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 IMG_0999

I am taking the 3 Holly bushes and 5 Yarrow to the house up in North Carolina and keeping the Butterfly bushes, Leyland Cypress and Petunia here at my house.

And a couple of update pics to follow.

The verbena has started reblooming on my hanging planter, absolutely stunning! Pics don't do this planter justice.
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 IMG_1004

And my Moxie Blanket flowers that I planted around the mailbox on Thursday have started blooming! Here's a pic of one of them:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 IMG_1007

Now comes the fun part of placing and planting all the new stuff! It's so hot out that it'll have to wait for early morning or evening when the sun is not out. Hopefully I'll get most of it planted next week and will post pic updates as I go!

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 5:24 pm

Hanging planter is gorgeous! The heat has been so KILLER.

Also, you guys have another house in NC? How did I miss this!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 6:47 pm

So it's a good thing it's PLANTS that need you and you want them....otherwise, if you were frequenting the rescues... affraid affraid

Razz

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 7:23 pm

Kristina, you didn't miss anything. The second house we kept quiet about for the most part. I never made a public announcement about it. And the heat is awful! Our high today was 93 degrees! Morning and evening temps are still decent though.

Lol Claudia! Oh if it weren't for my other half putting the brakes on more dogs I guarantee I'd have at least 3 more rescues! I'm just happy he's allowing more plants...for now. I'm thinking of keeping 2 of the dwarf holly bushes for myself. Razz

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 2:38 am

Wow val! Good score. I have had no luck on the rack at lowes Sad I try to go mid week but maybe weekend mornings are better? I bought a red pepper plant today. So a second home you say? What does that yard look like

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 4:35 pm

Jenn, I don't see any rhyme or reason to my Lowes' clearancing. It's hit or miss at mine. Sometimes I stop by a certain day of the week and they have junk and other times I go the same day and time and it's like hitting the jackpot. So I just try to swing by whenever I'm in the area to check.

Oh the yard in NC is nothing spectacular, it's pretty small and has a bunch of rhodadendron and Leyland cypress on the property. I'll see if I can find a pic later. I've drawn up some planting/landscaping ideas on paper that I'd like to put into action at some point. It's a joint venture between us and my in-laws, so the house belongs to both families so we both have a vested interest in it.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 7:10 pm

Where in NC? Is it a vacation home? Do u rent it out? Cause I realy did enjoy our time in kill devil hills, the beaches were nice, I would go back but with out the flight in to pa then the drive there! I think when it really warms up here is when the racks fill up better I think a lowes.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 8:03 pm

It's in Northwestern NC near Asheville. It's pretty much a vacation home, that's all we really use it for. Nope, we don't rent it out. We don't really trust renters to take care of it the way we would plus we leave a lot of our personal belongings there so we don't have to pack much when we decide to drive up there for a few days. It's just not worth the hassle of renting it out really, plus we are up there about once a month or so.

So you used to visit the Outer Banks? We used to visit the Outer Banks too, we stayed at a rental on Nags Head. I grew up on the beaches in FL so I'm not much of a beach fan...kinda a been there, done that for WAY too long to enjoy it anymore thing. Grass is greener on the other side I guess. I'll take cold, gloomy mountains over warm, sunny beaches ANY day! I don't know, I just saw the Outer Banks as just another hot, overcrowded tourist trap with just another beach. It really felt just like FL in the OBX. Rolling Eyes

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 3:33 pm

I planted two of my petite butterfly bushes around the Magnolia this morning before the sun came out and drove me inside. It's currently 105 degrees at my house!!! Shocked My goodness, I thought FL was bad but geez, we never saw triple digits in FL...South Carolina is AWFUL!!! Just makes me that much more motivated to get back home to WA.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 3:56 pm

i think you need a summer home in the mountains Razz

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 4:33 pm

I think I need a YEAR ROUND home in the mountains! Wink

Oh, by the way, we have the guy that does the concrete edging all set to do the work on either July 14th or 15th. He has a couple other jobs that week so our fall back date is August 1st if July 14/15th don't work out for him.

Here's the website for the guy we hired to do the concrete edging: Curb-Crete

We decided to go with the "basketweave" stamp in "silver grey" and we opted for two notches to be put in for drainage where the downspouts from the gutters are. I can't wait!

And I sent in our application to the HOA to get the concrete curbing approved 2 weeks ago and I still haven't heard anything yet. No approval letter, no response to the 2 emails I've sent already... Mad

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 4:43 pm

im so jealous of you!!!! i want that done so BAD!!!!
i like the Sandstone, Bsketweave Stamp that is in that pic.
stupid HOA, just do it then you can be like i asked and called and heard nothing, the guy could not wait and we got a great deal so deal with it!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 7:30 pm

I'll try emailing the general HOA email address tomorrow instead of the architectural review person. And see if that doesn't get some answers. I'm pretty sure they'll approve it since other houses in the community (different subsections but under the same HOA) have it already. I just want to do it the right way. Shouldn't be an issue I'm thinking since we aren't scheduled to have it done until 3 weeks from now. And I've wanted concrete curbing since I first saw it in a FL yard 2 years ago. I'd never seen it before then and I fell in love instantly. Razz I'm so happy I'm finally making it happen! The guy that's putting in the concrete curbing said that after we get ours done we will probably see some of our neighbors wanting to get it done in their yards too. lol I guess we'll see.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 7:32 pm

if others get it done you should get some kind of kick back from him for the referrals! maybe he can do the back yard at a crazy good price Wink

i got a text from our handy guy that he used me for a referral, wonder if the people will call?... i have nothing but good words for him!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 8:21 pm

I wouldn't even ask for anything in return for a referral. This guy is super awesome to work with and he's already giving us a great price and throwing in some extra stuff that we asked for after our original price quote at no extra cost. So far this is the best person I've had the pleasure of dealing with since we've moved to Charleston! I just have to remember to take before, during (if it's okay with him), and after pictures when he does the work! First things first though, the stupid HOA. *sigh*

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 12:21 pm

Time for an update!

I planted all 4 petite purple butterfly bushes yesterday.
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 IMG_1011

And this morning I planted the Chinese Privet in the backyard by the A/C unit. Here's a close up...
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 IMG_1015

...followed by a wider shot that also shows where the Leyland Cypress will be planted on the other side of the A/C units next to the fence.
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 IMG_1014

And I finally remembered to take a new pic of the lovely rain gauge hubby got for me, isn't it cute?! Smile
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 IMG_1023

I just had to stop and take a pic of this white Gladiolus flower, it's too pretty not to share!
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 IMG_1027

This shot shows where I'm going to plant my blue irises in front of the three windows in back of the house.
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 IMG_1019

And I'm going to finish off with some BEFORE and AFTER shots to show how a few things have progressed!

First off the Japanese Magnolia BEFORE (3/21/11):
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 IMG_0273

...and AFTER (6/22/11):
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 IMG_1026

Stone planter BEFORE (6/8/11):
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 IMG_0916

...and AFTER (6/22/11):
Front:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 IMG_1021

Back:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 IMG_1039

Barrel planter BEFORE (6/8/11):
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 IMG_0911

...and AFTER (6/22/11):
Front:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 IMG_1018

Back:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 IMG_1037

That's it for pic updates as of now! I called my HOA and the person in charge of architectural review told me she'd received my emails but was busy taking care of invoices but assured me she hadn't forgotten about me. Rolling Eyes She said to give her until the end of the day to look into it and that I should hear back from her by the end of the day today. We'll see...funny how they weren't too busy to cash the check that came with the application though. scratch

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 12:42 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
We'll see...funny how they weren't too busy to cash the check that came with the application though. scratch

to me that would be another clue to go ahead with it! but as rebellious as i want to sound i would still be calling to get the official OK from them....

i love to see before and afters! its all filling in and getting green, looks great.

i walked around the back yard and the only things taking off are my veggies... anyone know how or when to cut spinach? mine looks ready to eat Smile dont want to chop it all if that will kill it....

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Val's 2011 gardening thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next