It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

A few showing questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

A few showing questions Empty
PostSubject: A few showing questions   A few showing questions EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 8:36 pm

First, one of the places I shop for dog supply's sells tons of show stuff, one of the things is chalk of different colors(powdered I think) what is it used for? What are "stacking photos? Last question, if the curled tail is a fault why do so many husky's have them? Just poor breeding?
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: A few showing questions   A few showing questions EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 11:30 pm

I don't know about the chalk, but a stacked photo is a picture of the dog in the stacked position.

As for the tail...snap tail is a disqualifying feature, not a curled tail. Karli can curl her tail, but its not snapped. A husky with a snapped tail is poorly bred.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: A few showing questions   A few showing questions EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 12:13 am

Chalk is to make whites whiter, blacks blacker, etc. Basically to cover up any stains in the dog's fur. Helps make them look cleaner. But technically it's not legal in shows to use substances in the dog's fur, but I would say most people do (including using other products) and judges don't seem to mind.

Stacked is when the dog stands with their feet almost squared up. I'd have to add a picture to show it better. It's hard to describe.

Siberian tails are supposed to be slightly curved, but not snapped or favoring a side or touching their back. It just comes from breeders who aren't trying to keep to the standard.

A few showing questions Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: A few showing questions   A few showing questions EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 12:57 am

A stacking picture:

A few showing questions 496d6f34-3ded-493a-a602-5406323bfc02_zps999c8688

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: A few showing questions   A few showing questions EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 11:03 am

That helps, thank you one and all. Now, do you feel the incorrect type of tail is currently more prominent than the correct type?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: A few showing questions   A few showing questions EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 1:27 pm

Not in the ring.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: A few showing questions   A few showing questions EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 8:35 pm

Oh no, I was meaning the bread as a whole not just the ones good enough for the show ring.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: A few showing questions   A few showing questions EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 8:38 pm

Not in the ring, on a normal basis, I see huskies with a regular sickle tail or a tail that leans slightly to one side or the other. Very rarely do I see snap tails.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: A few showing questions   A few showing questions EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 8:57 pm

I'm in pretty regular contact with about...10 Huskies and only one has a fully snapped tail.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: A few showing questions   A few showing questions EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 11:14 pm

2 of my 3 Sibes have a snap tail 75% of the time. I think it really depends on the BYB vs. reputable breeder ratio in your area. We only have a bunch of shitty breeders around me, the reputable breeders are on opposite sides of the state from me (Sidra, Dreamscape, PlayMor...just to name a few) Otherwise we have the huge crazy byb Max Haven Kennels which easily during the holidays are pumping out 5-10 litters a month. My oldest Embry, and my youngest Ares, their parents are from Max Haven, luckily Ares' parents were both decent quality and he's pretty good IMO and has a very nice sickle tail. Embry has an ugly tail lol and Zoey has the most horrendous tail I have ever seen when it's not relaxed.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: A few showing questions   A few showing questions EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 8:50 am

Only 1 of mine has a snap tail.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: A few showing questions   A few showing questions EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 10:43 am

Can a snapped tail be a juvenile trait? Anya would snap her tail to her back when she was 8 weeks until she was 4 or 5 months old. Now at 6 months she is carrying it in a sickle shape when we're out for a walk or when she's excited about something. If she is just standing her tail will fall flat
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: A few showing questions   A few showing questions EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 11:12 am

That's interesting Erica, Dizzy has never snapped his. When its up, its always a sickle shape, but maybe it was just the way she carried it vs. being a truly snapped tail. I think its a genetic trait that wouldn't be altered as they grew, but I'm not sure. Smile
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: A few showing questions   A few showing questions EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Yes interesting indeed! When i saw her parents they carried their tails in a sickle shape. I don't think a snapped tail is in her genetics. You're right it might just be the way she carried it
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: A few showing questions   A few showing questions EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 12:36 pm

I was looking at some earlier pix of her, and her tail looked really long compared to Dizzy's. Maybe she had a tail growth spurt and she just didn't know quite what to do with it. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A few showing questions   A few showing questions Empty

Back to top Go down

A few showing questions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1