It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

teeth showing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2014-10-10

teeth showing Empty
PostSubject: teeth showing   teeth showing EmptyTue May 05, 2015 9:42 pm

Bandit hasn't done this in a while. She started to eat the other dogs food. Brother and his dog are here for a few days. I yelled no real loud and she stopped. Walked over to her and slowly pushed her down in a submissive position and then she challenedged me. She hasn't done this in a while. I took my hand and covered her mouth and said no real loud again and she stopped. Is this bad? Am I looking too much into it? Will this occasionally happen?

Fyi for all those who regularly follow my posts she is doing better with the tail biting. Her hair is growing back
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

teeth showing Empty
PostSubject: Re: teeth showing   teeth showing EmptyTue May 05, 2015 9:54 pm

Are you asking if it's bad that you did this? Yes, I think.

You're showing her that you're unstable and erratic and why should she trust you or listen to you if that's the case?

You're a very inexperienced dog owner and you have a very rocky relationship with your dog. I think it's very risky and unfortunate that you're resorting to physically and emotionally invasive discipline techniques.

Seems Iike Bandit is continually frustrating and confusing you.

I don't know what else to say, but to answer your question, yes, I think it's bad.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

teeth showing Empty
PostSubject: Re: teeth showing   teeth showing EmptyTue May 05, 2015 10:31 pm

Well what should of been done? None of it was hurting her. None of it was abuse. What other way is there to correct her on something like this? Fyi don't have to sound like a dick lol I just asked a question and needed advise
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

teeth showing Empty
PostSubject: Re: teeth showing   teeth showing EmptyTue May 05, 2015 11:31 pm

Tony - if you don't already know, I frequently dog-sit my son's husky mix, Archer.  Archer is just over a year old.  He will try to snatch Ami's food at any and all opportunities.  The way I handle this is to walk in the kitchen with both bowls (filled) (and dog's trotting happily under my feet Rolling Eyes ), put Archer's bowl down first next to the island, walk the 4-5 ft or so and put Ami's bowl down on the hearth.  Archer no longer tries to push Ami out of his bowl (I used to have to be the food police).  There is no need for this dominant/submissive stuff.  I find it degrading to resort to such thinking.  Really, a simple "eh eh eh" or "nope" or "fagetaboutit" or "don't even think about it" said in a pleasant but firm voice is all you need.  Sort of a gentle warning tone...

Kind of like you are a nursery school teacher with a classroom of 3 yr old kids...and their parent's are watching in the background lol!

Think about training your dog as little baby steps...in this case, first, you manage the situation so she can't get to the other dog's food (as in I put Archer's bowl down first) then you allow a little more freedom, maybe put both bowls down at the same time but stay you stay right there between them (if she goes for the other bowl, a simple, verbal "eh eh" or some such - very matter of fact, if she continues, pick up the bowl and give it to the other dog, giving Bandit her own.)  Repeated enough times, it will be habit.

Remember, the secret to training your dog, just as being a successful parent or teacher, is consistency, clear expectations and a warm, nurturing (but NOT smothering) nature.  You should be your dog's refuge, she should not fear you or kowtow to you.

Did you ever show your vet the video of her head shaking - I've been wondering how that came out.  Maybe the tail was flea irritation?
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

teeth showing Empty
PostSubject: Re: teeth showing   teeth showing EmptyWed May 06, 2015 12:14 am

cosmothunder wrote:
Fyi don't have to sound like a dick lol I just asked a question and needed advise

No need to resort to name calling either. You may want to call me a name as well, however, you continue to ask questions with quite simple solutions. In this case, if the dogs are food aggressive, separate them when you feed (as Amy suggested). As many as us have tried to hammer home, NO, BANDIT DOES NOT HAVE A PROBLEM.

Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

teeth showing Empty
PostSubject: Re: teeth showing   teeth showing EmptyWed May 06, 2015 1:50 am

cosmothunder wrote:
Well what should of been done? None of it was hurting her. None of it was abuse. What other way is there to correct her on something like this? Fyi don't have to sound like a dick lol I just asked a question and needed advise

I didn't say you hurt or abused her. You asked if it was bad that you did what you did, and I answered, Yes, I thought it was and explained why, which was because you put negative physical and emotional pressure on your dog which did nothing but scare her and perpetuate your instability to her.

How long have we been logging on to see you asking the same questions over and over again now and responding with not only lengthy responses but video links and trainer recommendations?

People have been very generous and kind and devoted to you and your dog on this forum, and I've probably contributed more than anyone else.

If I was a dick, you'd know it. I'd be personally trashing you and calling you names or other very unflattering things.

I respond to the information you provide, which is a substantial amount. Any help or comments you have ever gotten from me has taken your dog's well being first and foremost, which I think you routinely jeopordize.

I'm not going to apologize for that or backpedal.

You were warned many months ago that you're cultivating an aggressive dog and it's showing more and more.

I think you are capable of doing more to change that.

Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Kaliska
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2015-05-04

teeth showing Empty
PostSubject: Re: teeth showing   teeth showing EmptyWed May 06, 2015 4:59 am

The only dogs I've taken to the ground were akitas as a last resort and only one did I physically put on the ground rather than just using forceful body language and having them drop in submission on their own before really making contact. It's not necessary 99% of the time. It is somewhat emotionally abusive to dogs. Taking a dog to the ground in dog speak means you are willing to do it serious harm or death. It does not build trust and good behavior. It should be unnecessary in a breed like huskies. In my case it was to stop a very aggressive behavior like full out threats to bite and I still didn't do the whole hold them down, grab their nose, look them in the eye, etc... I said "NO!", pushed in to their space really fast, and they fell sideways. Then I got up, did anything necessary to remove the problem, and ignored them. Dogs being pack animals want attention so ignoring them or leaving the room is a big negative to dogs.

For a food situation like that I would tell my dog "eh" which is my warning. If they continue it's "no", "leave it". If it still continues I stand up and remove them from the area. If I want to leave the food down and keep them around while they won't listen to verbal commands I will tie them to me and then they have no choice but to watch the food sit there. Having 2 akitas, a shiba, and a husky we have very strict food rules here to be able to feed everyone without locking them all up constantly. It was built dog by dog as we added them and from easy to control situations up to more complex and increasingly with food that has a greater value. For simplicity and safety in most cases it is best to just feed dogs separately.

Never is my punishment more than a single loud reprimand and taking them out of the situation unless there is a serious threat being made and I have to act right now. The softer your punishments are and the more rope you give them with warnings to change their behavior before punishing the more they will react to you so you don't have to get as aggressive and usually they respond with a more positive attitude. Warnings also help them learn so they don't repeat something. A good leader leads by example. Do you want a dog that needs to be pinned to the floor every time you want to discipline it? Do you want your dog to apply the same amount of force when it decides to discipline any other dog or animal it comes across? You set the tone. Your dog learns from you.
Back to top Go down
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

teeth showing Empty
PostSubject: Re: teeth showing   teeth showing EmptyWed May 06, 2015 8:42 am

Well the other dog picks at his food. Bandit doesn't usually go for it cause She knows not to. She got into it this time. I guess I'll just tell at her real quick. Like a big ol "hey" to get her attention and tell her no.

Bandit is not good aggresive. She used to be and that was solve with about a month and half of hand heeding. She is so much better on that thanks to the suggestions of people here.

Jeff, sorry. I read it again and realise that I was just being an idiot when replying to you. Long day for me

Back to top Go down
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

teeth showing Empty
PostSubject: Re: teeth showing   teeth showing EmptyWed May 06, 2015 9:08 am

Oh and btw there has been plenty of progress with the things I have asked. No more food agression. I can take toys away with no issues anymore. I can take kings away with no fuss at all. She doesn't growl at me on things either. Besides this incident I haven't seen teeth in almost 5 months. I do listen
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

teeth showing Empty
PostSubject: Re: teeth showing   teeth showing Empty

Back to top Go down

teeth showing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1