It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area Empty
PostSubject: Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area   Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 1:37 pm

So I know that this isn't nearly as exciting as you Coloradoans and your 14ers, but this is the best we can do here in Southeast Michigan! It's a city park on the outskirts of town, 160 acres of hilly nature area. We decided to take Bode out this morning for his first real test of the Palisades Pack! We filled each water bladder up about half way so it wasn't two heavy and brought our own backpack too. Bode barely noticed the pack, which is great. I should note that the last time we hiked here we got a little lost. There are no trail signs and there are trails all over the place and we both forgot to bring our phones in with us to look at a trail map. We did better this time!

We did have an almost incident. This park is notorious for people letting their dogs off leash. Honestly, I don't blame them. It's a great park and I'm sure dogs love to romp around in it. So we are hiking along the trail talking to each other and a woman coming towards us way up ahead yells something at us. I say "What?" and she yells back very annoyed "CAN YOU WAIT WHILE I LEASH MY DOGS?". She was by herself and had a pack of 5 or so dogs with her, all off leash. So we stopped a second and then I was like, "screw this" so we took a different trail. I was annoyed. I mean, yeah, I guess it's better she said something instead of having one of her dogs attack Bode, but the fact that she acted like WE were inconveniencing HER. If your dogs were on a leash like they were supposed to be in the first place, it wouldn't have been a problem. And it would have been different if it was someone with just one dog that they could hook up real quick, but I don't want to have to stand there and wait for you to round up and leash your five freaking dogs all by yourself. Oh well. Didn't let it ruin our hike, just venting about it now!

And now, pictures!

Getting geared up at home
Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area 9532241244_0e8e8966fc
IMG_2341 by sara.white.2012, on Flickr
Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area 9532235010_b1a2be838a
IMG_2347 by sara.white.2012, on Flickr
Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area 9529452741_dd8bd11870
IMG_2349 by sara.white.2012, on Flickr
Squirrel?
Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area 9532230382_fae091c594
IMG_2351 by sara.white.2012, on Flickr
He wouldn't freaking sit still!
Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area 9529436461_d26ed1a77e
Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area 9529432897_d1110423d9
IMG_2360 by sara.white.2012, on Flickr
He found lots of chipmunk holes!
Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area 9532211862_638883ab22
IMG_2363 by sara.white.2012, on Flickr
Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area 9529428149_eb01343d2e
Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area 9532204868_2cdd782d96
IMG_2380 by sara.white.2012, on Flickr
Taking a break
Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area 9532197070_d6a39d1762
IMG_2392 by sara.white.2012, on Flickr
Anthony's turn to lead
Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area 9529409223_2523e2beb1
IMG_2396 by sara.white.2012, on Flickr
Kings of the hill!
Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area 9529407419_00eb663454
IMG_2400 by sara.white.2012, on Flickr
Pooped after a long hike!
Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area 9532185804_c3e3b7986a
IMG_2404 by sara.white.2012, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area   Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 2:19 pm

Lookin' good in his new gear!!
Back to top Go down
Papabear
Puppy
Puppy
Papabear

Male Join date : 2013-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area   Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 2:25 pm

Looks like a peaceful place!

What belt & leash combo are you using?
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area   Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 3:11 pm

EDIT!!! I just checked and it's actually Adanac Sleds Joring Belt system!

I believe it's the Alpine Outfitters padded Joring belt (with leg loops but I took them off for a really hot outing a month or so ago and haven't needed to put them back on yet). We got it last year, so I don't remember for sure, but I'm 90% positive that's where it's from!

At the time, it came with the towline, but looking on their site now it looks like they're calling it the Canicross Line.

Last edited by MGoBlue on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area   Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 3:53 pm

Good pix of a fun trip!
The other "Bodhi" would like to hike with the Michigander Bode.
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area   Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 3:58 pm

Very nice photos! It looks like you had a blast. we'll have to check that spot out since its not too far away
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area   Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 4:10 pm

jalepeno wrote:
Good pix of a fun trip!
The other "Bodhi" would like to hike with the Michigander Bode.
We could confuse people even more with the names. People always think it's Cody or something else when they hear his name!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area   Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 5:15 pm

Great pictures.. The back of your car looks like ours a blanket with bowls for the dogs. lol! 
Back to top Go down
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area   Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 11:34 am

Love hikes through the trees like that. Looks like fun!
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area   Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 2:56 pm

At least everyone in Michigan doesn't look like this:lol!: 

Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area Southp10
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area   Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Haha. I'm actually ready for some cold weather and snow right now!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area   Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 8:30 pm

Hughie wrote:
At least everyone in Michigan doesn't look like this:lol!: 

Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area Southp10
Thats funny! We drove through south park today!

Sara, some days I miss a nice wooded stroll in the park! At least you got out and had some fun, and that dog lady would have pissed me off.

Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area   Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 8:52 pm

Jenn, it took a lot of restraint to not respond to her with something snarky, but I was good...
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area   Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 9:06 pm

I will save my hiking bitching of the day for my hiking post tomorrow!

PostSubject: Re: Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area   Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area Empty

Back to top Go down

Hiking With Dogs: Bird Hills Nature Area

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1