It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky gets anxious right before it rains

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
chaner10
Newborn
Newborn
chaner10

Male Join date : 2013-05-17

Husky gets anxious right before it rains Empty
PostSubject: Husky gets anxious right before it rains   Husky gets anxious right before it rains EmptySun May 19, 2013 5:50 pm

I was just curious. Does anyone else's Husky gets anxious and crazy when its about to rain? Mine starts whining and pacing and needy whenever the weather looks like rain.
Back to top Go down
GingerDog
Puppy
Puppy
GingerDog

Female Join date : 2013-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Husky gets anxious right before it rains   Husky gets anxious right before it rains EmptySun May 19, 2013 11:09 pm

Not my dogs, but my horse did. I think its smell and pressure changes...

Does your kid have a thunder phobia?
Back to top Go down
chaner10
Newborn
Newborn
chaner10

PostSubject: Re: Husky gets anxious right before it rains   Husky gets anxious right before it rains EmptySun May 19, 2013 11:29 pm

She doesn't freak out when thunder hits but she does stick close to me and makes the same sound she makes if she's afraid when its about to rain. Don't know if this is normal behavior or not because I've haven't heard of other huskies doing this.
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Husky gets anxious right before it rains   Husky gets anxious right before it rains EmptyMon May 20, 2013 2:30 am

Sounds to me like she might be a bit leery of the weather change not afraid which is good. We had a pit mix that had to be tranquilized when it stormed or for fireworks because she would just go nuts trying to dig into the closet corners and nearly flipping furniture to hide but she could never find a safe enough place. I'd say dont worry to much unless you notice it escalating into fear. My last husky mix liked to sleep next to me for thunderstorms not bothered by it much just wanted to feel you there and was fine when left home alone in a storm.
Back to top Go down
chaner10
Newborn
Newborn
chaner10

PostSubject: Re: Husky gets anxious right before it rains   Husky gets anxious right before it rains EmptyMon May 20, 2013 3:08 am

That's good to know. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Husky gets anxious right before it rains   Husky gets anxious right before it rains EmptyMon May 20, 2013 9:05 am

My late husky was okay but leery of Thunderstorms. Then he was trapped in a metal building during a thunderstorm and he became fearful of thunder. Back then there were not thundershirts but an otc herbal calming pill worked for him. It was not bad enough as the furniture flips but it was a pill for my peace of mind. He would shake and have to stay with in 1 foot of me or hubby. The older he got the little bit better it got. But a 70 lb dog can shake a bed so on a thunderstorm night he used to get the pills.

I agree as long as the dog is just needy and not stressing to bad you are okay. There could have been bad storms as a pup.

I am a firm believer that animals can tell by the pressure, barometer etc. My other dogs are not anxious or scared but they do not hang outside before a storm they tend to want to be inside or near shelter. Good luck! Stay positive around them, I hear you are not to be overly sympathetic and do not constantly say Its okay cause I guess you are actually conveying that it is not okay but will be soon.

Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Husky gets anxious right before it rains   Husky gets anxious right before it rains EmptyMon May 20, 2013 9:23 am

Koda hasnt been through any bad weather yet.. I plan to sit on the pourch with him when a storm comes around for a little to get him used to it hopefully.. But we havnt had any bad weather yet..
Back to top Go down
huskyowner7
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2013-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Husky gets anxious right before it rains   Husky gets anxious right before it rains EmptyMon May 20, 2013 10:45 am

.!

Last edited by huskyowner7 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Husky gets anxious right before it rains   Husky gets anxious right before it rains EmptyMon May 20, 2013 1:30 pm

I didn't want my dogs to be afraid of storms because I live in Nebraska and the weather is always super crazy. For example, on May 2nd we had snow; three days later we broke the record for the hottest day. With all my dogs, I would sit on my front porch with them during a thunderstorm and give them something to play with, like a frozen kong. I would stay calm and happily talk to them about the weather or whatever else we did that day. I also walk them in rain and thunder, just so they learn that no matter what they weather, they at least need to go potty.

Last night though, during the hail storm, Ares wailed his little head off. If it wasn't hailing the size of baseballs, I would have brought him outside too! Oh and he popped on my carpet. It was a lovely night, let me tell you..
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

PostSubject: Re: Husky gets anxious right before it rains   Husky gets anxious right before it rains EmptyTue May 21, 2013 9:54 am

This newsletter came in this morning....it might help some of you get ideas.

. Sometimes fear can be a good thing. It tells dogs when trouble is approaching so they can escape or prepare to defend themselves. But sometimes fear isn't so good. It can sometimes overcome a dog, turning simple everyday activities into stressful, unpleasant situations.

The truth is, some dogs are just naturally tense, anxious or jumpy. Other dogs acquire their fears for a reason.

A fearful dog may feel threatened by people, places, noises, activities, other animals, being left alone or vet visits. If your dog trembles, resists, hides, barks or whines in certain situations, it is a sign that your dog is afraid and finds the situation to be stressful.

This type of reaction could be natural when a dog is in an undesirable situation. For example, if your dog's last vet visit was painful or upsetting, the next time you visit the vet your dog may very well be even more fearful and resistant. If it was bad before, why willingly go back for more?

A dog's fear may also come from traumatic learned behavior. Things like abusive physical punishment and confinement can leave a lasting impression on a dog. When a situation sparks that kind of fear, the fearful dog could bite, try to run away, chew on inappropriate objects, bark, or even urinate.

Thunderstorms, fireworks and other loud noises also scare many dogs.

Regardless of the reason behind a dog's fear, sometimes that fear is so intense that the dog will suffer physical reactions. Some dogs will vomit, chew away sections of its hair and coat… if the reaction is really bad, the dog could even have seizures.

If your dog is afraid or stressed, reassure your friend with a gentle touch and some soft words. But importantly – don't reinforce the bad behaviors.  There is a fine line between giving your dog comfort and reinforcing the behavior you are trying to stop.  Ideally – reinforce the calm behavior.

What else can you do? Play some soft, relaxing music. Certain types of music has been shown to calm dogs.

wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Husky gets anxious right before it rains   Husky gets anxious right before it rains EmptyTue May 21, 2013 9:58 am

What newsletter is that?
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

PostSubject: Re: Husky gets anxious right before it rains   Husky gets anxious right before it rains EmptyTue May 21, 2013 10:06 am

Dr. Jon writes the Dog Crazy Newletter from petplace.com
It is kindof a daily moment type thing and it has a lot of products advertisment or advisory for petproductadvisor and 1800 petmeds. Lots of food for thought. I have found some days to just be ad for product but most have a good advice section prior to the product ...like this one I copied. Ther was a paragraph or two about a pill to calm animals after what I copied.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky gets anxious right before it rains   Husky gets anxious right before it rains Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky gets anxious right before it rains

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1