It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

When can I start biking with my husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
holister
Newborn
Newborn
holister

Male Join date : 2013-04-05

When can I start biking with my husky? Empty
PostSubject: When can I start biking with my husky?   When can I start biking with my husky? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 8:43 am

Hi everyone, I would like to bike ride with my husky, and I plan to use a springer, however I don't know when the right age is to start that. When can I do this?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: When can I start biking with my husky?   When can I start biking with my husky? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 10:36 am

You don't want your pup doing any sort of structured running until at least 1 year of age to avoid damaging growing joints. If you run a search on bikejoring, we've got several threads going where you can find a lot of good information.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

When can I start biking with my husky? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
holister
Newborn
Newborn
holister

Male Join date : 2013-04-05

PostSubject: Re: When can I start biking with my husky?   When can I start biking with my husky? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 10:39 am

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: When can I start biking with my husky?   When can I start biking with my husky? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 10:57 am

You're welcome!

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

When can I start biking with my husky? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Special~K
Newborn
Newborn
Special~K

Male Join date : 2013-03-26

PostSubject: Re: When can I start biking with my husky?   When can I start biking with my husky? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Oops... guess Ive been messing up. My pup is 12 weeks old and he gets SUPER excited when I ask him if he wants to "go run with bike" lol. I am a motocross racer, and I have a small pit bike that I use to cruise around in the pits. I hold his leash in one hand and he runs behind me. He seems to really love it, and isnt scared of bikes at all. He even rides ON it with me lol.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: When can I start biking with my husky?   When can I start biking with my husky? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 5:54 pm

I would highly recommend that you stop letting him do that. During structured runs like that, he won't stop when he's tired but will instead keep running to make you happy. That can lead to really nasty joint issues later on. For now, just let him romp around on grass, that way there is no structure and he will stop whenever he needs to.

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: When can I start biking with my husky?   When can I start biking with my husky? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 6:30 pm

its cool that you are getting him used to the bike but i would stick with him NOT running with you while riding it. at least it has been on dirt and not a hard surface, thats even worse! let him play and be a puppy and kick the training back up when he is a yr old. and start out slow, as in distance, like meredith said they dont stop till you stop even if then want to. I learned the hard way last summer when our hike ended up being a few miles/hrs longer then thought and S&J kept up till we got back but they were so tired they could not get into the car on their own, i felt really bad about that.

Puppy
Puppy
clicklouj

Female Join date : 2015-09-22

PostSubject: Re: When can I start biking with my husky?   When can I start biking with my husky? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2015 2:06 pm

I had a similar question as the thread title. Used the search bar so I stumbled upon this post. Thought to add to it rather than post a new one.

Picking up on what Jennifer said, do you think, to get a young husky (5 or 6 months) used to a bike, it is a good idea to walk with the bike with them first? Pushing it, maybe bike with them (and I do not mean having them pull the bike, maybe just keeping in pace or slightly ahead of them) but for very short (perhaps progressively longer?) lengths, like, a street's stretch and then stop and walk?

I haven't done this with Luna as she is too young, but I'm thinking of how to work up to it. She has a ton of energy to wear off when we step outside and we are never fast enough for her until she tires a bit.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: When can I start biking with my husky?   When can I start biking with my husky? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2015 5:25 pm

Walking them beside the bike is a great way to get them used to the sounds of the bike and the size of it in that close of proximity to them. I did this with my girl when I first started biking with her and it helped keep her stress levels down and made our first attempt at me riding the bike next to her much smoother. I also taught her directional work while I walked the bike rather than hoping she figures out which way to turn at a cross roads rather than by running her over. I would probably wait until 7 or 8 months to do the bike work to thwart off the need to try riding with her a little early. Once you think she has the commands and sounds figured out the pull to do ahead and try riding just once will become strong and you will need to fight this urge. You will have to fight it for a shorter time if you wait until 7 or 8 months. Even before you start working with the bikes you can go ahead and start working with directional training on your walks.

Puppy
Puppy
clicklouj

Female Join date : 2015-09-22

PostSubject: Re: When can I start biking with my husky?   When can I start biking with my husky? EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 4:08 pm

Ohhh. Awesome! Thank you for the tips, Jenn! Something to look forward to in the coming months. Hope she takes to it smoothly Smile

Meanwhile, I should get my bike fixed and tuned at some point...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When can I start biking with my husky?   When can I start biking with my husky? Empty

Back to top Go down

When can I start biking with my husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1