It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

To raw, or not to raw.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 4 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 10:30 am

heather.jane19 wrote:
She did have worms a month or so ago and she got treated for them. Went two rounds of treatment. So i would think it wasn't worms but it could be?? I'll have to stop and find a vet though to even find out.

There may be a slight chance, but see if scaling back firms up her poop.

heather.jane19 wrote:
And don't let her picture fool you! She's all hair. I'm thinking she's probably 1/4 Malamute because of all of her hair, I've never seen a full Husky with as much hair as she has. She has a mane and feathers on the back of her legs and everything. But your guess is as good as mine.
She could just be a wooly husky - there are a few that I know of that are regulars at the dog park. Google some pics of them - that might just be what she is...

heather.jane19 wrote:
She weighs 39 lbs now, that's after she gained the 5 lbs since we started raw.
In the past she's done fine on 1.25 lbs of whatever, so that may be her max. We'll stick to one pound or 1 1/4 if we have to of chicken for a while and see how she does.

Yeah - don't forget, for huskies, the females are around 35 - 50 lbs so technically she is within standard. Like Megan said, pictures would help better judge.

heather.jane19 wrote:
We just left her in the hotel room for literally not even 2 hours while we looked for houses and she left us a nice big completely liquid shit all over the floor while we were gone. So I'm thinking that might be a step further than cannon butt to diarrhea cause I took her out 3 times this morning and she pooped every time, all completely liquid.

From my experience, it's the other way around. Cannon butt is diarrhea but it'll be a projectile and not just straight down sloop. To me, it sounds like she would need more bone. What cuts of chicken do you have her on right now? Sorry - I know you probably mentioned this before, but I forgot...

heather.jane19 wrote:
The rice and boiled chicken really isn't an option now as we're in a hotel until we find a house but I can feed chicken until she gets straightened out. May fast her for a day again, that seemed to work well last Friday.

You can also use scrambled eggs (no salt/pepper/anything added) and rice. It should be a lot easier to order it from somewhere since you don't have the home amenities right now...

heather.jane19 wrote:
I'm so glad to hear you say that about the one bite at a time. I wasn't going to do that anyway but seriously?! Is that how it's really supposed to be done?? I'm sorry but screw that! Aint nobody got time for that!! It would take a month to get to a 1/2 and 1/2 meal with a new protein! I'll look into the lamb and the satin balls when I'm somewhere that I can actually do that. I think the biggest thing is going to be cutting back on the amount. Sticking to 1 lb - 1.25lb at the most is probably going to be my best bet.

Yeah - like Val said, only you can tell how fast/slow to introduce a new food to your dog because they're just as different as we are! Smile Cutting back will definitely be the quickest possible resolution...

heather.jane19 wrote:
Also, everyone on the facebook was saying that loose/soft poops were okay but I didn't think so?

Soft poos are technically not that bad, liquid poos (diarrhea) and liquid poo-weapons (cannon butt) are not what you want. I'm sure you never EVER thought you'd care about the different kinds of poops an(y) animal can have, but it's all part of your life now! Laughing
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

Female Join date : 2013-03-30

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 4 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 10:56 am

UndarthAngipoo wrote:

Soft poos are technically not that bad, liquid poos (diarrhea) and liquid poo-weapons (cannon butt) are not what you want. I'm sure you never EVER thought you'd care about the different kinds of poops an(y) animal can have, but it's all part of your life now! Laughing

Oh no I've always cared!! I've had many jobs picking up poop, but mostly horse poop. And let me tell you it matters when you're the one cleaning it up! I worked at one barn that there were two complete stall pigs next to each other and our system was that one person took the stalls on one side of the barn and the other took the other side. But with these, whoever got the "good" side of the barn had to do one of the bad stalls. One of the horses was just a complete slob but the other had some kind of weird medical thing that the medications made her pee about ten times in one night and she'd always pee on her poop and then churn it all up pacing in circles- good times!

Right now I have thighs and breasts. Yesterday she got a thigh for breakfast and a thigh and breast for dinner. Going to give her one breast this morning and see where her poop is before I give her dinner. Don't want to constipate her but I don't want to come back to another mess either!! It's kind of a shame because I took a risk and gave her a chance to stay ALONE, and OUT of her crate and that was the thanks I got. That's what I get for trying to be nice!! Not related but we left her in her crate while we went to dinner and she was fine the whole time-which is a miracle if anyone knows the problems we had been having! We got her a properly sized crate (on sale! $70 crate for $40, made it so much better!) and she seems to be doing better in it. The one that came with her was about 3 times too big.

I'm hoping it's not worms still, so we're going to scale back and hope that fixes the problem.
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 4 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 11:02 am

[img] To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 4 Photo_10[/img]

[img]To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 4 Photo11[/img]

[img]To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 4 Photo_11[/img]

I forgot to get one from behind. This is the best I could do, she kept trying to sit. She thinks if she sits food will magically appear for me to give her haha
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 4 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 2:04 pm

Oh yeah, she's a little Woolie, she's not too bad in weight. I would only feed 1lb a day..I'd imagine she needs to weight between 42-45. How tall is she?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 4 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 2:32 pm

I measured her once but forgot how tall he is. I'll check again when we get back. So it's okay that she's as bony as she is??
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 11:17 am

Okay so I'm back and I'll go ahead and apologize now I'm on my phone. We got out of the hotel and into a house (thank god!!) but we're not getting internet until Tuesday so I'll proof read as best I can but just bare with me. Mila has been on chicken for 2 weeks now. She's been getting 1lb for about a week and I've tried 2 days with bone then one without then 2 days of bone again. Her poops were doing good, actually formed but not fossily. She wasn't having a hard time going or anything. She went to the vet with us when I got the cat declawed and they took a stool sample to test for parasites again. No worms but she does have something, cystic something or another? Whatever it was they said it wasn't parasites, it wasn't going to grow and it shouldn't give her any problems. It got there from something she ate and will be there until she poops it out. So this morning I took her out and she had cannon butt again but this time it was the exact color of Foy's BBQ sauce (light yellowish/brown) instead of black like it normally is when she has cannon butt. At this point I don't even know anymore. She's been on chicken for 2 weeks and was doing okay, so now all I can think is maybe she was pooping out whatever it was that the vet was talking about? I'd say she's stressed from the move but knowing her I just don't know that that's it. She's so indifferent about anything as long as someone is around to pet her and look at her. I don't know if I should take her in for another exam or just monitor for the next day or so and see if poop goes back to normal and she was just pooping out whatever it was. ?? I just feel like I can't win for losing with this dog Sad
Back to top Go down
liesl.trapp
Newborn
Newborn
liesl.trapp

Female Join date : 2014-05-17

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 12:33 pm

Whenever my dog wont eat I just put in some seaweed or honey in with it and she gobbles it right down. But then again my dog begs for apples so she might just have odd tastes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To raw, or not to raw.    To raw, or not to raw.  - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

To raw, or not to raw.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Nutrition and Feeding :: Raw Feeding Forum-