It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Snoopy Warning Bit My Mom

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

Snoopy Warning Bit My Mom Empty
PostSubject: Snoopy Warning Bit My Mom   Snoopy Warning Bit My Mom EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 1:28 am

Snoopy and Nunya got into a little tussle (we're down to noisy teeth-showing and slamming chests, no more blood) and mom grabbed Snoopy. From what she described to me, he warning bit her, didn't break any skin, thank god. My brother grabbed him and put him outside. I'm at work and she called me to tell me what happened, and I'm on break now so decided to make a post.

He obviously doesn't respect her and I'm going to talk to her tomorrow about doing some one-on-one training with him to build a stronger bond. She'll start walking him with me when the weather warms up, but right now she hates being outside lol

What are some other bonding activities you guys would suggest that won't require her to go outside for long?
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Snoopy Warning Bit My Mom   Snoopy Warning Bit My Mom EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 9:41 am

What about working on basic commands (sit, down, and such) inside? That might help them bond.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Snoopy Warning Bit My Mom   Snoopy Warning Bit My Mom EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 10:00 am

Training in the house and let her treat him. She can also tether the dog to her and that can also help with bonding.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Snoopy Warning Bit My Mom   Snoopy Warning Bit My Mom EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 10:35 am

Hayden_69 wrote:
Training in the house and let her treat him. She can also tether the dog to her and that can also help with bonding.

I agree with Kelly, and is what I would do.

Working through the same thing with a friend's dog who is staying over at the house and learning our rules.

She was so terrified of me yesterday morning she defecated herself and tried to bite me when I went to put a leash on her. I could have gone about that better but was in a rush before work or I would probably have taken more time and let her relax before getting that result.

When I got home after work she was still scared of me. So I tether her to me while I did my chores and rewarded her when ever she came close to me or touched me.

We then went for a structured walk, where she learned leash manners, and returned home where she learned the house rules of not chasing the cat or being close to us while we ate.

After that it was time to learn tricks for about 30 minutes and then about 30 minutes of playing with me (Tug, Fetch, and wrestling). Then Tika took over playtime and taught her how to relax and play with another dog.

By the end of the night she actively sought me out, jumped up on me once invited, and stretched out to cuddle, be pet, and sleep on me.

All it takes is time and working at it.

~Chris~

Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Snoopy Warning Bit My Mom   Snoopy Warning Bit My Mom EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 11:32 am

Thanks guys.

Doing one-on-one training is what I meant by getting her to do his obedience commands, or even teaching him something new. She had to leave early this morning so we won't get to do anything until tomorrow though.

I have to remind her about enforcing the house rules, now that I think about it. I know Snoopy doesn't stay out of the kitchen for her when she's cooking, but she doesn't enforce it.

I love the idea of tethering, but I know she won't go for it, unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Snoopy Warning Bit My Mom   Snoopy Warning Bit My Mom EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 1:05 pm

I agree with the other suggestions to help with bonding.
But I do want to add that when a person grabs a dog who is fighting or agitated, that person is likely to get bit whether they are bonded or not. Wink
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Snoopy Warning Bit My Mom   Snoopy Warning Bit My Mom EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 3:11 pm

I know, but she would rather have gotten bit than have Nunya get bit again. When I talked to her about it this morning before she left she said that she fully expected to get bit when she grabbed him because of how intense Snoopy was. It was over some popcorn (she shares with the dogs) so it was another resource guarding issue. I'm going to start clipping a leash on him when there's food involved. Or just leave the leash on him whiles he's in the house because it won't really get in the way.

I looked at her arm and there's a little bit of bruising and two visible tooth mark bruises from his top and bottom canines on one side of his mouth that almost broke skin.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Snoopy Warning Bit My Mom   Snoopy Warning Bit My Mom EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 8:43 pm

Oh, and I wasn't trying to sound rude about know that a bond doesn't mean she won't get bit breaking up a fight, just that it might help if/when we have future issues. I was trying to figure out how to say that this morning, but I was too tired and my brain wasn't working lol
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Snoopy Warning Bit My Mom   Snoopy Warning Bit My Mom EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 10:12 pm

I think bonding does help with not getting bit while breaking up a fight. Maya has never bit me while I've pulled her off a dog or grabbed her. I know she won't because i know her and she wouldn't knowingly bite me, but i also know it's possible she might. I've only ever been bit by Kay and that was after breaking her and Maya up. Kay went for Maya again while i was holding them and Kay bit through my leg. Though i'm REALLY glad that that bite didn't connect to Maya's face like she wanted it to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Snoopy Warning Bit My Mom   Snoopy Warning Bit My Mom Empty

Back to top Go down

Snoopy Warning Bit My Mom

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1