It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Biking with you dog

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shiloh
Newborn
Newborn

Biking with you dog Empty
PostSubject: Biking with you dog   Biking with you dog EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 3:38 am

Does anyone bike with their dog? If so do you use a springer or another brand.
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Biking with you dog   Biking with you dog EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 7:48 am

I used to bike quite often with mine. But I used a gang line/x-back harnesses and had them pull out front. Depending on your individual dog, you may not want to let them run over 50°F-55°F.

This was my setup...
Biking with you dog 1234718639605

I've never tried a springer.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Biking with you dog   Biking with you dog EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 8:48 am

I've biked with Koda before and used the same gangline and harness setup (but obviously for only one dog Smile ). I've heard people have had good results with the springer. It really depends on what type of biking you want to do. Anything more than a leisurely stroll and I would use a gangline, but if you just want to go down the sidewalk around the neighborhood with your dogs, a springer would work just fine Smile

Biking with you dog Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Jimmy
Newborn
Newborn
Jimmy

Male Join date : 2011-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Biking with you dog   Biking with you dog EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 7:53 pm

searched the training section but didn't see anything related...

what's a good way to train for this?? Waiting for my pup to get a big older. Think it'd be a good form of exercise for him
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Biking with you dog   Biking with you dog EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 8:25 pm

Jimmy wrote:
searched the training section but didn't see anything related...

what's a good way to train for this?? Waiting for my pup to get a big older. Think it'd be a good form of exercise for him
there is a bikejoring thread started and i know i posted an email from one of the sled sites about how to start training on the commands before hooking them up.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Biking with you dog   Biking with you dog EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 10:44 pm

If you want your dog to pull you, here's a tip I got from the mentor program from a person that is a member from the Colorado Mtn. Musher's Club:

One idea you might want to try with Ginger to get her used to "pulling" and being in front of you is to use a small weighted object (like a wheelbarrow tire, jug of water, small log, etc.). Tie it to the back of her harness so that it drags far enough behind her to not bump her or scare her. As you walk her, let her drag the object along to get the feeling of pulling something. As she gets comfortable with that, you can start walking further behind her, and then adding a heavier object (no more than about 25% of her body weight for now). Also be sure to make these training sessions VERY FUN for Ginger. No one wants to do something if their first few experiences are bad, so keep it short, fun and lots of "good girls" when she does what you want. Before you know it, she will be pulling out front!

Another tip they gave me was to start using mushing commands on walks to they get used to hearing the commands now and will respond better when you take that first step in having them pull.

Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Biking with you dog   Biking with you dog EmptyFri May 06, 2011 3:15 pm

I thought of this before but I don't want to try it because I'm afraid my dog can't keep up. I heard stories that Huskies can keep up with a biker for about an hour but I'm still afraid because I might be over exercising my dog.

Last edited by SiberianHuskySibhee on Sat May 07, 2011 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Biking with you dog   Biking with you dog EmptyFri May 06, 2011 3:19 pm

When you bike with your dog you'll have to build them up to longer distances over time. Also take into account your dogs physical fitness, how tired he/she is, and how they are handling the temperature.

Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Biking with you dog   Biking with you dog EmptySat May 07, 2011 11:57 am

Thanks Huskyluv. I will take note of that. I guess we just have to start with 10 minutes first then increase it overtime.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Biking with you dog   Biking with you dog Empty

Back to top Go down

Biking with you dog

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1