It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

The war on coat blowing!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

The war on coat blowing! Empty
PostSubject: The war on coat blowing!   The war on coat blowing! EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 3:20 pm

Hello World!
Well this is my first time encountering the joy's of my husky blowing his coat and man am I losing the war. The only grooming tools I have at my disposal are a rake and a pos rubber brush. I brush him twice a day for 30 odd minutes and I try to do it outside but there is a lot of snow here and its cold lol. What can I do to really reduce the amount of fur he drops around the house? I'm looking for tools I should consider picking up, grooming tips, etc. I've searched on the forum for advice and have seen a whole jumble of stuff and at this point I'm not sure what to do lol other then vacuum the house 3 times a week XD.
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: The war on coat blowing!   The war on coat blowing! EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 3:42 pm

Ahhh, I'm battling the same battle....However, I just recieved my new FURminator.
They're pricey if you go to a petstore....but I bought mine from Amazon, and it was only 23 dollars...yay for amazon.
Anyways, it will do wonders!!!
Back to top Go down
bttlsgtmajor
Puppy
Puppy
bttlsgtmajor

Male Join date : 2013-01-24

PostSubject: Re: The war on coat blowing!   The war on coat blowing! EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 3:48 pm

I haven't yet had the pleasure to enjoy this, however I know I will soon. I have a wire brush (rounded tips) and a FURminator (heard it works wonders so I concur with Kristin). I've also heard that giving your husky a bath first then brushing helps, but I can't validate that so someone else who has will have to validate/debunk that idea. Let me know if you get any other tips though as I'll be next Wink
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: The war on coat blowing!   The war on coat blowing! EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 3:52 pm

I have a slicker brush that i use. I also have a furminator that i don't use anymore because i love the slicker more. I also can't use the furminator on Kay because it will rip her fur. Maya and Sophie's fur is shorter and more slick so it doesn't exactly rip their fur, as far as I've noticed.
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: The war on coat blowing!   The war on coat blowing! EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 3:54 pm

oh it's a crazy battle I must say...
I find it very helpful to brush when the wind is blowing...the wind tends to blow all the fur away..lol. Prob not the best tip....as my neighbors end up with a fence full of fur..but hey my yard looks great and so does my husky!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

PostSubject: Re: The war on coat blowing!   The war on coat blowing! EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Yeah I was debating getting a furminator but I have read that it can damage the dog's undercoat and I really don't want to do that. I'll pick up a slicker and give that a shot.
Back to top Go down
rnick02
Newborn
Newborn
rnick02

Male Join date : 2012-09-02

PostSubject: Re: The war on coat blowing!   The war on coat blowing! EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 5:20 pm

Haha I have been doing the same thing, I was brushing Kya the other day and the wind all but stopped blowing, I was very disappointed that I would have to clean all the fur up.
As for suggestions on what to use..
This works great and Kya loves when I brush her with it:
http://www.amazon.com/Safari-Shedding-Medium-Large-Stainless/dp/B0002ARR22/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1361391543&sr=8-15&keywords=dog+brush

I also use a FURminator that I bought on amazon or eBay, for much cheaper than retail.
Back to top Go down
rnick02
Newborn
Newborn
rnick02

Male Join date : 2012-09-02

PostSubject: Re: The war on coat blowing!   The war on coat blowing! EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 5:22 pm

xredrainx wrote:
Yeah I was debating getting a furminator but I have read that it can damage the dog's undercoat and I really don't want to do that. I'll pick up a slicker and give that a shot.

A furminator, when used correctly, is great, and doesn't hurt the dog, or its coat. Almost a necessity for a Husky.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: The war on coat blowing!   The war on coat blowing! EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 5:22 pm

Hayden has been blowing his coat for over a month now and is almost finished. I was breathing a sigh of relief until Nicky started last night! It's never ending! I'll be so glad when Spring get's here, so this will be over with! My poor house has Husky hair ball tumble weeds blowing everywhere and my vacuum is on it's last leg due to the hair.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: The war on coat blowing!   The war on coat blowing! EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 5:25 pm

I'd never use a Furminator on any of my dogs. It does damage the guard hair, particularly cutting and damaging the hair destroying its function. I use just a standard undercoat rake, pin brush, flat comb, and slicker brushes in my grooming kit. The biggest help has to be waiting until the bulk of the hair is loose then warm bath and high velocity blow dry.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: The war on coat blowing!   The war on coat blowing! EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 5:25 pm

The furminator is a clipper blade with a handle. You are essentially ripping out and cutting the dogs fur with the furminator. Not a tool I would ever recommend using on a Siberian - or any breed with a double coat.

An undercoat rake and curry comb will work wonders as well as giving them a bath before you brush them and getting an HV dryer and really blowing out the fur.

The war on coat blowing! Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

PostSubject: Re: The war on coat blowing!   The war on coat blowing! EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 5:36 pm

I don't bathe him much he goes to the groomer maybe every 3 months just to get cleaned up. If I'm going to bathe him before brushing are we talking get him wet, towel off then brush/hv dryer or should I shampoo/conditioner the little monster? If so what kind of shampoo and junk should I look for D:
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: The war on coat blowing!   The war on coat blowing! EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 9:17 pm

What age do they typically blow their coat for the first time? My pup was born Dec. 29 specifically......
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: The war on coat blowing!   The war on coat blowing! EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 10:20 pm

Since every dog is different there's really no way to say since your dog was born on this date they will blow coat exactly on this date. Even litter mates won't necessarily blow coat at the same time. Kenna is starting to loosen up her undercoat, but Enya is showing no signs yet. Look for coat blowing around the time the seasons change-
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: The war on coat blowing!   The war on coat blowing! EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 10:25 pm

Noted. But is coat blowing common in year 1?
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: The war on coat blowing!   The war on coat blowing! EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 11:36 pm

It can be certainly. One of my friend's girls both blew coat at 3-4 months. My lines hold theirs longer, Kenna is 9 months and now looking like she is going to blow coat soon. Her litter mate sister Enya is still contently holding on to hers. Denali was 11 months before he shed out. Each one is different, there really isn't a set 'norm'
Back to top Go down
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: The war on coat blowing!   The war on coat blowing! EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 12:02 am

Mine started blowing around 9-10months old. Neighbors husky started at 6-7months so it depends I guess.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: The war on coat blowing!   The war on coat blowing! EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 1:14 am

great, thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: The war on coat blowing!   The war on coat blowing! EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 1:35 am

Ive noticed koda has been shedding a little more than normal this past week.. He is not blowing coat.. But there is more fur than normal and he only 3 months
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: The war on coat blowing!   The war on coat blowing! EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 1:54 am

We have had so much static with this coat blow! Outside the fur just jumps right back on him and he looks hilarious! I have been rubbing him with a dryer sheet before brushing and it's rather nice...it certainly controls the static and makes him smell good.

I only use a rake. I have a slicker brush because that's what worked best on my first husky, but I really think even within the same breed, the fur types can be different.

Good luck...you cannot win this war... pale
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

PostSubject: Re: The war on coat blowing!   The war on coat blowing! EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 11:01 am

Well I bought a slicker last night and the lady who was helping me out told me to spray him down with some water in a squirt bottle then have at him. I put in about a solid 15-20 mins of brushing his whole body and damn am I impressed. None of the fur really flew up in the air or really clinged to him and I got him reasonably well groomed. He had A LOT less clumps of fur falling off him last night.

But this morning he's fluffy again .-.- gotta brush him all over again lol X
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The war on coat blowing!   The war on coat blowing! Empty

Back to top Go down

The war on coat blowing!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1