It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Just Curious , How did you pick a name?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Female Join date : 2013-02-16

Just Curious , How did you pick a name? Empty
PostSubject: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 5:38 am

We are getting our new baby her on the 2nd. She is a gift from my husband to myself and my youngest daughter (almost 9 yrs old). We have tossed around some names and my daughter is dead set on the name Nishka. I think that is really cute but I'm not sure I LOVE it. I think we need to wait until we meet her to pick a name.

Did you pick your names before or after you got your pup?
Back to top Go down
soul embrace
Teenager
Teenager
soul embrace

Male Join date : 2013-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 8:44 am

i already had the name pick out for a boy and a girl.

i love the movie Eight Below and Snow Dogs so if i had gotten a boy his name was going to be Demon (from snow dogs) and if i got a girl (which i did) her name was going to be Maya (from eight below)
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 9:10 am

Nicky & Hayden are named after a moto GP racer Nicky Hayden. I knew I wanted to name them that before I even got them. Since Brandi was a bit of a surprise, we were stumped as to what to name her (to be honest I'm not even crazy about her name now, but I didn't really have a choice since I named the other two). He came up with the name, because she is the color or Brandi Smile
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Female Join date : 2013-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 9:20 am

I guess I should be happy with Nishka. My daughter wanted to name her after a Pokemon at first, ANYTHING would be better than that. lol
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 9:21 am

I would wait until you get her I would also have a few names picked out before hand and see if they fit once you get her.

My male came with the name and we decide not to change it. My female was a rescue without a name my husband pick a name from a book about an elf with Huskies having almond shaped eyes and pointy ears the name fits.
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 10:07 am

I didn't have any names picked out for my boy. While I was holding him on the way home the name Saber literally popped into my head and the rest is history.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 10:16 am

We had a couple picked out beforehand with one main one, which we decided on after we got him. Bode comes from Bode Miller the alpine ski racer.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 1:14 pm

Me and hubby tossed around a few names before we picked him up. I wanted something unique. We finally settled on Lucian. He was named before we even got him, but it fits him perfectly. I call him screwy Louie most of the time, lol, and he really is screwy.
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 1:27 pm

It was totally random when we got Danzig, so we didn't have names picked out. We had him on hold while we decided whether or not we were going to get him, and we picked his name then. I've always named my animals after punk bands, and Danzig is the lead singer of the Misfits. It fits him since he's dark and kind of a jerk lol.
Back to top Go down
pierody
Puppy
Puppy
pierody

Male Join date : 2013-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 1:34 pm

i chosed mine by my favorite movies or characters Smile
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 1:54 pm

When we got Bella we wrote down a bunch of names and called her each one to see which she responded best to.

The next name Shaina (from the forum) picked out for me and I wouldn't change it for the world. It means "dream" in russian - Mechta.

Just Curious , How did you pick a name? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Crispin
Newborn
Newborn
Crispin

Male Join date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 2:53 pm

We were joking about naming ours Crispin after the cider. Then we got him and after a couple days still didn't have a better name than that.

You might find this interesting:
http://www.mentalfloss.com/article/48982/bella-cha-cha-man-boogles-fido-mopsulus-dog-naming-trends-through-ages
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 3:08 pm

Our first we had a few names in mind and when we saw him we knew he was meant to be Dakota. Our second I had decided on her name before we met her. Rockie came with his name from the shelter as did Timber and Diamond (well we shortened it from Pink Diamond). Tikaani we picked out after seeing our little boy. Aspen's name popped into my head on the drive home with her. Riley's name was sewn into his collar but he was never claimed. Denali was a chosen call name we liked after meeting our show boy. And the girls names were thought of well in advance of getting them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 3:09 pm

We love Game of Thrones - since the Stark's banner is the Direwolf, it fit perfectly! Smile

Plus, I <3 Tony Stark (Iron Man) Smile
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 3:25 pm

Sophie was actually Gypsy at first but it didn't fit so it switched to Saphira that then ended up being Sophie. I had Maya's name picked out before had because i liked the name and got it from an anime i had watched. Kay came with her name and that's what i was calling her before we got her and it kinda stuck. Though my family elongated it to Kayla but we call her Kay.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 3:27 pm

The only one I named was Sammy, he is a red and white husky with blue eyes and named after uncle Sam, then come to find out the his old name was Tony, so that would be why he picked up sammy so fast. I found out his name of tony by the micro chip company
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 3:34 pm

When we were first thinking of getting a dog we threw a couple names around I told Kevin if we were getting a Northern Breed I was thinking we could give him a norse god name that fit the breed. Since huskies are mischievous we went with Loki. Plus Loki in the Marvel Comic Universe is one of my favorite villians. If I have have any say in the next husky we gets name, it will be named after a character in the DC Universe.
Back to top Go down
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 3:38 pm

My wife and I went to Alaska on our honeymoon and so we give all of our pets Alaskan names. Yukon, Denali, Juneau, Kenai, Kodiak, and Chinook.
Back to top Go down
Onyx_Blitz
Teenager
Teenager
Onyx_Blitz

Male Join date : 2012-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 3:42 pm

We went and visited the pups to see if one would choose us. When he did we spent the whole work day texting back and forth different names. It ended up coming down to 4. Beau and Onyx were from my wife and mine were Anuk (Uh-Nooh-k) and Blitz. Since of his black fur we went with Onyx and the only other name that fit with it was Blitz. His full registered name, if I had my way Laughing , would have been Onyx Blitz Bringer of The Rain. But my wife thought it was silly and we will register with Onyx Blitz Embarassed .
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 4:05 pm

I had a few picked out, but none of them really felt "right." Then, people started telling me that sometimes I called her Korra instead of My Puppy or other things like that without even noticing it. Even after that it didn't feel natural. But now I couldn't see her as anything else Smile Don't over analyze or everything will start sounding funny, that's my experience anyway Smile Just wait until you meet her and see if that helps.
Back to top Go down
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 4:11 pm

I was unsure what to name my husky when i got him, i had some friends who wanted me to name him after some various anime characters... but wasn't really diggin that idea. my dad wanted to call him sinatra... and i was kinda meh about that. i finally just went online googled some dog names and started yelling them out until he responded to one.

side note; my ex wanted to name him betty lol, yeah definately a no.
Back to top Go down
laura56083
Teenager
Teenager
laura56083

Female Join date : 2013-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 4:49 pm

I named my girl Selena because the first night I took her home she howled in her crate the entire night until the sun came up. Selena means goddess of the moon and I felt that since she loved to howl to the moon it was a perfect name!
Back to top Go down
makav3li
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 9:21 pm

Hayden_69 wrote:
Nicky & Hayden are named after a moto GP racer Nicky Hayden.

no love for the other brothers??? just kidding

we choose juggernaut from reading/watching x-men plus watching the youtube video with voice overs of the juggernaut helped as well.

Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 10:23 pm

The week before we went to pick Karli up, my hubby asked me what I wanted to name her. I hadn't picked a name that I really really liked yet (had played with names like Angel and Athena) but it didn't feel right. I had wanted to wait to meet her first but hubby said I should have one picked out before hand (silly men lol). So he went searching for names that included snow (snowdog lol) and Karli means "coverd with snow" in turkish.

P.s. If I had read Game of Thrones before I got her I would've named her Nymeria and called her Nym for short. bounce
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 12:04 am

cinnamonbits wrote:
P.s. If I had read Game of Thrones before I got her I would've named her Nymeria and called her Nym for short. bounce

Always a possibility for #2 Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just Curious , How did you pick a name?   Just Curious , How did you pick a name? Empty

Back to top Go down

Just Curious , How did you pick a name?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next