It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

So Angry I Can't Speak, But Sad

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eurith
Puppy
Puppy
Eurith

Male Join date : 2011-08-16

So Angry I Can't Speak, But Sad Empty
PostSubject: So Angry I Can't Speak, But Sad   So Angry I Can't Speak, But Sad EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 2:59 am

So here I am on this wonderous Saturday night having some bonding time with a few friends of mine at the apartment when suddenly, Koda starts whining. He got to be out all day, got walked & used the bathroom twice (which is his norm), hadn't eaten anything I hadn't given to him, played thoroughly with NEW toys-perfect recipe for him to be fine for the night. When company is over or the house gets lively past his bedtime, he often does this so I normally dismiss it as him just wanting to be out and bond. He continues to whine even after the house quiets down a bit, so everyone suspects he must use the bathroom or something. Now, here's where things start to veer off course:

We got outside, he was walking fine despite a few corrections for walking faster than my pace, watching me for directions, staying beside me with the leash as loose as possible, and I gave him the "OK" to enter the grass to use the restroom. He pees on a tree, sniffs around for 10 minutes just doing his doggy thing-nothing out of the ordinary whatsoever. I was telling him to go potty since we've had some TERRIBLE horror stories with me ignoring his whining at odd hours around his first year (Canyon Creek jerky + upset stomach = wall & crate sharts, twice). He of course just keeps sniffing, returns to my side, sniffs again. Then, out of absolutely nowhere-Koda does something I have NEVER witnessed him do, ALMOST do, THINK about doing, have reason TO do: he walks beside me, lifts up his leg, and pees on me. This may not seem like a HUGE issue, but my dog has NEVER done anything outrageous or outright disrespectful to me in my soon to be 2 years of owning him. After the first second or so of shock, I did what I hoped to be a correction for whatever just happened, took him inside, placed him in his crate & covered it with his blanket. I was so angry, I could hardly even speak to my friends to tell them why my pajama pants now had wet stains on them.

As angry as I am, I'm just as upset that I had to discipline him over something like this. We've been great lately with the training, house rules, help from the roomies, increased playtime-all that. I just have no idea where that came from, or what that even means-he marked ME. He's a very intelligent dog who knows what I ask of him-I am absolutely floored as to how he could make this mistake-this is like worse than any of his housebreaking accidents (except for sharting incident *shudders*)..Just venting, sorry for the long post. Mad Sad So Angry I Can't Speak, But Sad 1625187496
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: So Angry I Can't Speak, But Sad   So Angry I Can't Speak, But Sad EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 3:32 am

I don't have much advice other than to try and not take it too personally. Something I'm reminded of often on the forum is that dogs don't really do things to be vengeful (although it might feel that way sometimes...). I have no idea what might have cause this, but I doubt his thought process was, "I'm gonna show him by peeing on his leg!"

Could it be that he really just didn't mean to?
Back to top Go down
Eurith
Puppy
Puppy
Eurith

PostSubject: Re: So Angry I Can't Speak, But Sad   So Angry I Can't Speak, But Sad EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 4:09 am

Part of what makes me feel bad is that I'm so worked up over this, and the majority of it is that I can't seem to find a reason as to why it would happen. It's possible it could've been a mistake, he may have just noticed something vertical that he hadn't marked yet, but in 2 years he hasn't mistaken me for anything inanimate before, so I'm not sure. There were no threats, no one outside we hadn't met, no other dogs, everything was normal-I even wore what I last took him out in too since it's cold out.

I feel like I'll just have to wait and see what happens tomorrow morning. If he does it again, I have to find a constructive way to stop that behavior or at least redirect it. I just couldn't foresee it happening which is why I got so upset =/
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: So Angry I Can't Speak, But Sad   So Angry I Can't Speak, But Sad EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 4:11 am

Quote :
As angry as I am, I'm just as upset that I had to discipline him over something like this. We've been great lately with the training, house rules, help from the roomies, increased playtime-all that. I just have no idea where that came from, or what that even means-he marked ME.

I wouldn't worry too much about it to be honest...

Generally speaking it isn't really a "demonstration" of disrespect, though not enjoyable or at times infuriating.

If it happens again I would just treat it as normal house breaking, and correct the action or move him to a more ideal location mid stream.

In terms of marking you..... Don't read more into it than there is. Marking at the core is indeed territorial behaviour, but it isn't always based upon claiming something. It can also be used as a deterrant to warn a predator to stay away more then to claim the object (I.E. this item is protected by me) and isn't uncommon whist the dog is actively exploring / engaging it's senses. Koda could have smelt something in the brush he didn't like and was acting out of respect for you.

Or it was what it was at it's most primal. A pup wanted to eliminate and you were the most ideal target at that time and location. No more than that.

Trust me I know how you feel. I get pissed on about 50% of the time when I go to the dog park... While meeting Tori to pick up Ripley I even got pissed on by some random dog. I've been told almost every time "My dog never does that", and I just Respond "Maybe I smell good?". It just happens. I get home, change my pants, crack a beer, and play with my girls. I forget all about it in no time.

Don't worry too much about it. If this is the first time it has happened in 2+ years it really shouldn't be a big issue.

Best of luck though,
~Chris~

Teenager
Teenager
CatDen

Female Join date : 2013-01-19

PostSubject: Re: So Angry I Can't Speak, But Sad   So Angry I Can't Speak, But Sad EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 4:15 am

I would simply see it as a sign of marking his territory. With so many people, he might have wanted to let them know that you were his. It may be bothersome, but I definitely wouldn't get upset.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: So Angry I Can't Speak, But Sad   So Angry I Can't Speak, But Sad EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 4:20 am

I would be pretty pissed and horrified too. Your emotions aren't that far fetched or out of line, but I think you are reading too much into it.

Take it for what it's worth. He peed on you. It sucks. It's gross. But it is what it is. I've been peed on plenty of times as well; be it a submissive pee (the worst in opinion), Sheba getting distracted and trailing onto me (happens more then you'd think), or just some random pooch at the dog park (happens quiet often).

I mean, I hoonestly don't think he did it on purpose or as some sort of "statement". It happened, and while it totally sucks, you just gotta take it for what it is. You got peed on bro Wink . Happens to the best of us Smile .
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Eurith
Puppy
Puppy
Eurith

PostSubject: Re: So Angry I Can't Speak, But Sad   So Angry I Can't Speak, But Sad EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 12:28 pm

Yeeeaaaaah I'm good now guys lol, it was just mostly shocking since I've never been peed on unless I've done it myself (QUITE a long while ago lol). I've done some research on what causes marking so at the very least I could understand what social/environmental cues cause marking. Besides, even when he marks on various inanimate objects, he's not exactly the sharpest pistol shootin' anyway Rolling Eyes He woke the house up talking, so we walked this morning and nothing out of the ordinary happened as usual. I was thinking maybe some stomach issues were to blame (stool was normal also), buuuuut I just feel like he's gotten so used to being out all day he'll whine to get out. Spoiled brat -________-
Back to top Go down
Kobey&Lola
Newborn
Newborn
Kobey&Lola

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: So Angry I Can't Speak, But Sad   So Angry I Can't Speak, But Sad EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 1:08 pm

I bet that was shocking! But I definitely wouldn't read too far into it. Kobey really freaked me out a couple times! He squats when he pees and he had NEVER marked anything until a couple months ago.. He's 4! At the dog park one day, he randomly walked IN BETWEEN a girl's legs and lifted his leg and peed on her! In between her legs! Shocked I couldn't believe it! The next time at the dog park, he did the same thing to another woman. How embarrassing! Thankfully he hasn't done it since then... But I sure keep a close eye on him! All of the people who I see there that do get peed on, really don't make a big deal about it. It happens.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So Angry I Can't Speak, But Sad   So Angry I Can't Speak, But Sad Empty

Back to top Go down

So Angry I Can't Speak, But Sad

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1