It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

first time husky puppy owner needs help!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

first time husky puppy owner needs help!!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: first time husky puppy owner needs help!!!   first time husky puppy owner needs help!!! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 11:03 pm

First he is so cute I don't believe any of what you are saying (lol). Second, its normal. I think if you could get him exercise it would help a lot.
Back to top Go down
Azurebluedolphin
Newborn
Newborn
Azurebluedolphin

Female Join date : 2013-01-06

PostSubject: Re: first time husky puppy owner needs help!!!   first time husky puppy owner needs help!!! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 12:39 am

I can't even express to you all how grateful I am for your time in reading, posting, suggestions and ideas. Thank you so much. Last night was rough for me and I feel SO much better. Today was A LOT better.... we went for 5 ten minute walks just to get him out of the yard and used to walking in an non-fenced area. He did pretty well, he's been out there before but not consistently. He loved it, except he doesn't like cars on the street so he's adjusting to that. We also played a lot longer with his ball, as well as just time outside because today was gorgeous. He was of course still high energy and playful but did SO SO SO MUCH better! And my mom took him for one of the walks, as well as having him out longer. Unfortunately yesterday just didn't allow that due to medical appointments that she was driving for. He has seemed a lot happier tonight and calmer. He also was biting less and when he did bite, I just left him alone and walked away from him which seemed to do well!

Tomorrow we work on the gate in the house so he truly will have the run of most of the house. I think this will be great too.

Thank you all so very much. It is so helpful and encouraging to know that you all have not only been here but understand and have come out well on the other side. I never expected it to be easy, just wasn't ready for a few things I ran in to Smile

Oh, as far as my social life, it's not that I don't want him included. I think with the winter, cold and having a new puppy I've felt secluded to literally a couple rooms of the house. I used to spend much of my time upstairs, and now haven't been there much at all, he only likes it for short times. We're working on it.... one day at a time, we're getting there!

THANK YOU!!!
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: first time husky puppy owner needs help!!!   first time husky puppy owner needs help!!! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 12:54 am

Walking on leash can take them a bit to get down pat. Kiba used to be a bit scared of everything on walks: fire hydrants, people, storm drains , ect. Now she loves it and is overly happy to see all the things I just named. Which comes with its own set of problems( leash pulling) but were workin on it. Each day seems to have its own challenges but your exactly right that one day at a time you'll make progress with him.
Back to top Go down
Azurebluedolphin
Newborn
Newborn
Azurebluedolphin

Female Join date : 2013-01-06

PostSubject: Re: first time husky puppy owner needs help!!!   first time husky puppy owner needs help!!! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 12:56 am

KibaHope-Funny you should say that about fire hydrants, he freaked out about it this morning! But he didn't care this evening.... He does pull some but he does rather well so far, I'm surprised. Do you use a collar or harness? I looked that up on here and read some but there were mixed reviews.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: first time husky puppy owner needs help!!!   first time husky puppy owner needs help!!! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 1:49 am

Yay! So glad that today was better! Very Happy most of us that have had puppies know what it's like. It's very emotional at times! I've had my share of hysterical sob sessions after I put kale down for the night when he was little, and I wasn't apart of this community at the time and didnt know anyone with breed experience, so felt soooo alone and helpless. If you ever have any concerns or questions, we are all here to help and support you! Keep you chin up; there's light at the end of the tunnel I love you
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: first time husky puppy owner needs help!!!   first time husky puppy owner needs help!!! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 2:01 pm

i use both but whatever you get, make sure its well made. i had to learn the hard way that even though they are still small right now, they can really pull if they want to. She's broken a collar, a leash and a harness that were all inexpensive. Now i have a very sturdy harness for walks and a leash thats supposed to be for up to a 110 lbs dog. I'm also somewhat paranoid still about her breaking free so she always has her collar on with her tags and information. She's level expert at pulling right now lol, so the harness keeps her from choking herself. If you dont have issues with it then as long as its sturdy, anything is probably fine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: first time husky puppy owner needs help!!!   first time husky puppy owner needs help!!! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

first time husky puppy owner needs help!!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2