It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is this Vet bad or is it just us?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

Male Join date : 2013-01-18

Is this Vet bad or is it just us? Empty
PostSubject: Is this Vet bad or is it just us?   Is this Vet bad or is it just us? EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 5:24 am

So i'll give the whole story so you can give me feedback, we've already decided to go to another vet, but just wanted to share our experience with you guys so i can get some feedback.

We've been taking Nova to this vet for a month now. The first visit was ok, no issues with anything really, as it is just an intial visit for shots and wellness. The second visit we went, the technician gave us some false information which i already knew to be not true, saying heartworm meds can only be bought form the VEt itself and that the perscriptions cannot be given out on long term, which i know not to be true, even in the case of puppies, you just moderate dosage based on weight, as well as them filling out our receipt wrong, so i chalked that up to her inexperience, maybe she was new. She called us back saying she was wrong, which was semi refreshing, and explained her mistake.

The third visit, went as per usual, but they scheduled us with a different Vet this time. They also couldnt get their dates right on when they were going to vaccinate for Rabies, the first one said 12 weeks, this one said 16. So it was all just boggled up.

Nova shortly after this visit, somehow, got a cut on his right back leg right behind his knee. At that time, we really didn't know what it was, but i shaved the area, and treated it shortly there after. We had been looking into some holistic style treatment of wounds at that time, so when we called them just to ask what they thought about it. We asked if they had ever heard of Tea tree oil for wound treatment, because i know it is used for some flea and tick treaments, essential oils and all, but in EXTREMELY monitored and small doses on the collar. The vet tech called us back, basically as they were running out the door, rushed, and told us "yeah sure, tea tree oil, sounds fine, go for it." The whole thing sounded fishy to us, so we looked into it further to find that tea tree oil for wounds is pretty bad honestly( and i know i've seen some people advocate for it, not on this site, but we aired on the side of caution, do to possible toxicity and such). That whole incident was cause for alarm to us. We treated it with vetericyn, and then made a follow up to get vaccinations and check on the wound yesterday.

So enter the fourth visit. This visit was specifically for a check on the wound and vaccinations if nothing else was cause to delay the vaccinations.

This time, it was yet again, a different Vet. We were under the assumption that we would be seeing the prior, but it was not the case. After an intial wellness check,She then proceeds to be condescending and preach the ways of dog psychology, telling me about not reinforcing bad behavior after he whined about getting his temp taking by the vet tech, which is pretty standard for all puppies. She moved to the wound, looked, asked briefly if i knew what happened, and i explained what i thought it was, but i stressed i did not know. She said it was fine, 5 seconds later, basically just dumbing down the whole thing without much info. After, she said he was fine for shots, so we went into vaccinations. She then proceeded to feed this 12 week old puppy insane amounts of treats to keep him complacent while she administered shots, but a kind he had obviously never had before, after she just saw me pull a bag of his own treats from my pocket. I asked if she wanted me to feed him these, she said it wasn't necessary. I honestly didn't think it was that many at the time because i was helping calm him, until he puked up about a cup of treats later after the ride home.

I asked if she had heard of Pet Armor, and what her thoughts were, which immediately ensued a tirade for 10 minutes on how Frontline is the best, and any other brand isn't backed by a company and they are amazing so on so forth. I nodded, said ok, she kept going on and on. At this point, i pretty much got the idea that they were pushing frontline no matter what. She asked if i wanted frontline, i said no, their prices were way over what i could buy it for elsewhere, she got kind of upset, but said they couldnt match the stores prices and moved on.

The End.

I mean, maybe i'm being overly judgmental, but this all seems like EXTrEME warning signs this place even thought having 5 star reviews from this area, is kind of falling apart.
Back to top Go down
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

Female Join date : 2012-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Is this Vet bad or is it just us?   Is this Vet bad or is it just us? EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 7:10 am

It's really hard to find a good vet these days...I'm on the search for a new one now myself. The place I've been going to is too far away from my new house, and I don't like the service I got on Monday.

I went in and this vet just listened to my pup's symptoms and wiped her private parts and concluded she had a UTI and Vaginitis. It was a different vet than the one I saw before for my dog Lady. That guy was really good with Lady and was very thorough and talked to me about a lot of stuff, and had a small can of wet food open to give her tastes of a treat throughout the exam. This guy palpated Ahsoka's tummy and said her bladder was empty so we wouldn't get a pee sample, even after I said several times if I just gave her some water she would pee within 5 minutes. He insisted she was empty and there was no sample to be had. (I got home 10 minutes later...she peed as soon as we get out of the car, with no extra water.) And he didn't swab her to check for bacteria levels either. Just gave me antibiotics. I was pretty disapointed in this other guy.
Oh, and when I first came in, one of the receptionists held Ahsoka while I filled out paperwork on her, disapeared into the back room, and she comes out with a bald spot on her cheek. She had a nice little wound on her cheek that needed to be looked at, but I hadn't mentioned it yet and it would have been really nice if they had ASKED me if they could shave it to look at it BEFORE they shaved a chunk of her ruff off. *eye twitch*
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Is this Vet bad or is it just us?   Is this Vet bad or is it just us? EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 11:23 am

Quote :
This time, it was yet again, a different Vet.

I'm not saying the vet is bad... but that is enough, and was enough, for me to find a new vet.

I know it is common practice in some of the larger vet offices that you see the vet on call, and call me old fashioned, but I don't particularly like it.

We went to the same practice with Tika until she was a bit over a year old. Every time it was a different Vet and we would have to start all over with her history / general information. Since everyone raises and trains dogs in a different manner we were given misinformation every time (Is it still misinformation when you know they are wrong to begin with?) that would even be in contradiction with the last vet we saw. They could NEVER remember that Tika is allergic to Lepto and would never be getting that vaccine again and only ever wanted to push their meds or food on us.

I understand the whole food and meds things... It just makes sense from a business stand point and I'm free to ignore / say no when ever I like. That being said I much prefer not having to deal with it.

If your gut is saying you are not comfortable with this situation I would look for a new one. The day we met out new vet we sat down and she made US interview her. She said we needed to be comfortable with her and she needed to know what we expected. She also ADORES huskies and knows them well so that was a big plus.

She asked once what food we feed and exclaimed what a good choice it is when we told her.
She listens to us and explains everything she is doing and why. When I told her I thought Ripley was deaf she looked into it right away and found the problem.
She goes out of her way not to hurt the girls. Ripley's nails were so bad when we got her that we wanted a vet to do them. She told us if she did cut them Ripley would be in some much pain she wouldn't let us ever clip them again. It made sense and her proposal of a new course of action was welcomed and followed.
The girls love her and are not scared of her at all.

Biggest thing for me however is we always see her and no one else. We also have her home phone number for emergencies. We drive an hour or so out of our way to see her because she is just that good. Others drive farther.

Like anything else it is a business. You're free to go where ever you like and it stops money from going into their pockets. Finding the right vet however is great piece of mind and well worth it if you can Smile

~Chris~

Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Is this Vet bad or is it just us?   Is this Vet bad or is it just us? EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 11:36 am

Doesn't sound like the best of vet to me. I'm not sure if all vet offices are like this, but unless you specially ask to see a certain vet, they will put you with whoever (that's how it is at my vet). Next time, ask the receptionist to book you with the doctor you saw the previous time.

It's really difficult finding a good vet that won't push you into buying unnecessary things and finding someone who will sit down and talk to you and not make you feel stupid for not knowing their fancy vet terms. I was fortunate to find two vets who were perfect for us, but unfortunately both moved, so we too are on the hunt for a new veterinarian .

Good luck!

Last edited by Hayden_69 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Is this Vet bad or is it just us?   Is this Vet bad or is it just us? EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 11:44 am

If your not happy with them, then certainly try and find one you will be happy with. I'll be changing vets in the near future as well. My vet won't write prescriptions for Lucian because he is under a year old. So I had to get his heart worm medication from them. Which of course they charge more for it. So at this point I'm either going to have to take him to a new vet, get charged an office visit, or take Lucian in to the current vet once a month to get weighed so I can get his heart worm stuff.

I used to take my pets to a vet my Mom worked for. I never really had a problem going there, but sadly I just can't handle going back there since I had to put my Samantha to sleep there back in August. I feel like a wimp, but I know the memory's of that day will just come flooding back to me, and take over.

Good luck on finding a new vet. I know they are hard to come by. It's difficult to find one that isn't just out for your money.
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Is this Vet bad or is it just us?   Is this Vet bad or is it just us? EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 11:47 am

When Saber was a pup he had diarrhea so I was pretty sure he had worms. Took him to a vet that had no bedside manner and took two stool samples a couple of weeks apart and said they came back negative for worms. Took Saber to another vet and they diagnosed worms (I don't remember which kind) with a stool sample on the very first visit. I liked the place until a few years later they closed up. Found another vet and didn't go back because the whole place smelled like urine. Took him somewhere else and didn't go back there because they take your dog in the back and do what needs to be done while us humans aren't there. Yeah, I don't think so. Then for a few years I started taking him to a chain vet (VCA) where you saw a different doctor each time. They kept good records though where you didn't have to give the dog's history every time you went. Anyway, my parents took their dog (lab/collie mix) there too. When he was eight years old he was in bad shape due to liver failure. They had the audacity to tell us that he had already lived his life expectancy. WHAT? We found another vet that literally saved his life. My parents and I have been going there now for the last 6 1/2 years. Only the one vet and he has an assistant and one other person that works there. It took a long time but I finally found a vet that I'm happy with.

If you are uncomfortable or feel something isn't right, you should look into finding another vet.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Is this Vet bad or is it just us?   Is this Vet bad or is it just us? EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 12:59 pm

A lot of people think that Vet hospitals/clinics operate the same way that human hospitals do, and that's not the case. The receptionist doesn't know which vet you prefer to see, so they will schedule you with whoever because it is easy (iv'e nooticed over the years that most receptionists are completely lazy, it's hard to find good ones). You need to specifically tell them that you prefer Dr. So-an-so, over Dr Whatshisface. That way they know to only schedule you with that particular Dr every time. Now if this was a recheck appt, and you initially saw Dr So-an-so, but are now seeing Dr Whatshisface for the follow-up, the office manager would need to be contacted and the receptionist would need to be reprimanded for not paying attention to the scheduling requirements.

I agree that that vet was pushy and rude, and you should probably not see that one again, but if there was a Vet there that you liked, I don't understand why you would go to a completely different clinic. It's not the Vet's fault that you weren't scheduled with him/her every time, it was the receptionist. The Drs don't know what goes on up front, it's up to you to let them know that you liked that particular Vet and would like to always be scheduled with them. Next time you make an appt, specifically say which Vet you prefer to see every time, and they will make a note in the computer to only schedule you on "this day, this day, and this day with Dr So-an-so". Hope that made sense lol

ETA- If you dont know which vet you saw initially, it should be in the computer, don't be afraid to ask. Smile Where I work, I highly prefer one Vet over the other, and will only take my dogs to him. The other vet is more conservative with treatments, and Kale and Violet's primary is more diagnostic and aggressive when it comes to finding the answer, which is what I prefer. Everyone has preferences, you just need to voice them in this industry unfortunately Smile
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is this Vet bad or is it just us?   Is this Vet bad or is it just us? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is this Vet bad or is it just us?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: General Discussions-