It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Spay Questions/Problems

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 1:38 am

I call it an exaggeration because we don't know the number of dogs who are probably on or have been on vs the amount of dogs that have died because of the actual use of the drug vs the amount of dogs who are on it with no reaction.

Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 11:03 am

While I don't think Rimadyl is some epidemic, I do think vets are far too quick to script it and send you on your way. The amount of dogs at work who are on it... It's crazy.

Rodeo had to be on Prednisone and Metacam for quite some time before we realized it was a food intolerance. (My personal diagnosis is eosinophilia gastroenteritis, but they never "officially" diagnosed him with anything) And it was hard for me to see such a young puppy on such hard medications for such a long time.... But we had no choice, because without it he couldn't function even somewhat normally.

As an owner you need to take responsibility of researching on your own. Any medication has negative side effects, and you need to educate yourself and decide if giving that medication really is medically necessary. Personally- I avoid Rimadyl unless I seriously have to.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 11:32 pm

Kelly I haven't been on much lately but I am so sorry that you had this trouble with poor Nicky, I sure hope she is feeling better by now!

Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 11:56 pm

I'm still a little worried about Nicky. She seems to be healing fine and still on all her meds, but is very whiny, which I can't blame her much. She circles trying to get comfortable and cries a lot throughout the day. I check her incision and it looks ok. Her appetite isn't back either. I've had her on boiled chicken breast and white rice since Friday night. She still hasn't eaten more than half a cup since the last time I posted. She is starting to turn her nose up to it. She acts hungry and after she eats her small portion of food, she will take her nose and try to burry what's in the bowl with her blanket, like trying to cover it up. She's only pooped three times that I know of too. Is any of this normal or should I be worried?

Edit: I know it's good that she is resting, but she has been non-stop resting since Friday! She wants nothing to do with playing or outside or have anything to do with Hayden. The only kind of playing she will do is when she grabs her little rubber ball and she will cry the entire time it's in her mouth. She just wants to lay down and cry or sleep. I talked to a gentleman at the dog part and he said his puppy was back to normal bouncing off the walls the very next day! Sad

Last edited by Hayden_69 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:35 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 12:08 am

Well I'm not sure, when I had my lab spayed she was 6 months and had not had a heat yet. She did very well, until she had an allergic reaction to a couple of her stitches which caused boil like things yuck that had to be lanced. But that dog did not lose her appetite at all, then again she is a lab Smile! I do remember her being a bit out of it for a couple days, not exactly feeling great. But nothing like you are describing. She was only on pain meds for one day, which I wondered about but she wasn't whiney.

Working at a pharmacy though I can tell you that pain medications in humans can make them lose their appetite and they definitely can cause constipation.

Is there another vet that could check her out? It would probably make you feel better too! Again, so sorry this has happened to her. AS a side note she has turned out so gorgeous!
Back to top Go down
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 12:16 am

That does sound really odd. Our two were both desexed on Friday (a week tomorrow) and were both eating normally the next day and were trying to run around as they normally would. We've had a hell of a time trying to keep them quiet like the vet wanted. Milla's (female) incision is a lot lower and a lot smaller (but she is 6months) and the sutures were definitely better done than those. I hope that she starts to feel better and good luck finding a new vet. Mad Neither of ours came home with any pain medication at all, the vet said they like them to be aware they've had surgery and don't want to mask the pain, just to try and keep them quiet. Milla had pain on the Saturday and was less active but since then no troubles. They are both looking forward to getting their stitches out so they can get there splash pools back again (middle of summer here)
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 12:19 am

Thank you June for the advice. I'll give our new vet a call and see what they think.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 1:31 am

Yeah June has a very good point with the pain meds and constipation, and I can tell you from firsthand experience that it is not comfortable. That may well be the issue, I'll spare you the details but I didn't know about that after my first ankle surgery and I wound up getting sick. Try giving her some pumpkin and see if that helps move things along.

I hope she feels better soon!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 1:37 am

With the incision being so high up, that dr must have had a really interesting time popping the ligaments to the uterus, I'm sure she is incredibly sore. The fact that her appetite hasn't come back yet worries me. Take her to a new vet and get her examined as soon as possible. Sad

ETA- I really want to know what the hell they did to Nicky. I'm starting to get upset. This isn't normal and I'm worrying right along with you. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 1:46 am

I plan on taking her in if she isn't doing better by morning. She is eating, just very little.

I started giving her organic pet virgin coconut oil yesterday, that's suppose to help her coat and heal wounds. She loves that stuff and eating it like candy.

This is what her incision look's like as of today

Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 530636_200275540117302_212032396_n

I did get copies of the surgery report, but only part of them, because the vet still didn't have them finished!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 1:57 am

Their surgery reports, I believe are a legal document and they have to be finished, unless they're really hiding something..
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 1:58 am

Go in there, demand them, make a scene. I'm getting an idea of what kind of vet this is. You'll have them within minutes. Document EVERYTHING that's happened while she's been home and also conversations with the techs, vets, and receptionists; you might need to turn them into the board of veterinarians. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 1:59 am

I'll PM you in a bit Kelly.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 2:01 am

Jennet&Embry wrote:
Their surgery reports, I believe are a legal document and they have to be finished, unless they're really hiding something..

That's what I thought too and found it very odd the report wouldn't be finished that very day, especially when something happened after surgery. One would think they would want to make a note of something like that while it was fresh on the mind.

When I brought that to the vet tech's attention on Saturday, she said the Vet who performed Nicky's surgery isn't alway's there and she ALWAYS does her notes over the weekend and it wasn't unethical.

I find this all to be a crock of shit to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 2:05 am

The documents need to be done and filed before they leave for the day. This vet can probably get their licence taken away.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 2:08 am

I'm so sorry you're having to go through with this all, and I hope it gets all sorted.

If there is grounds for reporting them, then I say do it! Call it revenge for poor treatment of your pup
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 2:12 am

The whole thing is just really frustrating, because my family has been using this same vet's office since my mom was a teenager. Never had any problems, until now. I know the owner and seriously thinking about calling him up and letting him be aware of the situation.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 2:23 am

If this were happening to ME, I would do EVERYTHING in my power to get some sort of punishment for that vet. Almost everything that has happened to you is completely unethical and I would be raising hell at this point. I hope your baby will be okay. That hack job on your baby makes me cringe looking at it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 2:31 am

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
If this were happening to ME, I would do EVERYTHING in my power to get some sort of punishment for that vet. Almost everything that has happened to you is completely unethical and I would be raising hell at this point. I hope your baby will be okay. That hack job on your baby makes me cringe looking at it.

Oh trust me, I plan on doing whatever it takes to get some sort of justice out of this! I'm so furious with these people!

On a more positive note, I offered her some fish oil and a powdered form dog supplement and she downed the entire bowl of it. So that's good news.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 2:33 am

Good news! I've been thinking about Nicky, and I hope she starts feeling like herself soon! I'd definitely bring it to the attention of the owner of the practice, but wouldn't stop there regardless of what he says, good or bad.

Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 11:28 pm

Poor Nicky! How is she doing today?? Did you go back in and raise hell with the old vet and get her checked out with the new vet?? I've been worrying about you guys so much the past few days Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Rigbyjek
Puppy
Puppy
Rigbyjek

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 12:22 am

I just came across this thread- how is Nicky doing today? I work in a vets office in NY and I agree- although her incision looks like its healing well, its higher than I've ever seen. I would definitely call and speak with the owner of the practice. Personally, I think you absolutely HAVE TO find a different vet- regardless of what they say. Huskies tend to be more "whiney" after surgery- so do dogs on pain meds, but NOT after a week! Is your vet AAHA accredited? That might be something to look into as well. You can look it up online, it means that your vets office meets a huge set of ridiculously high standards.lol. as for coughing up the "brown stuff" -I have never seen that before. When I read your first thread and you said they asked if she had been coughing because her tonsils were swollen, the first thing I thought of was the tube. Sometimes when they intubate an animal it will give them a sore throat, esp. if its the wrong size tube! Anyway, I agree with everyone on here- document EVERYTHING, get your records and find a GOOD new vet ASAP. lol. Good luck, and PLEASE let us know how Nicky is doing! I hope she's doing well!
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 8:31 pm

Any updates on Nicky??
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 11:23 pm

Yea I've been researching WV laws on vet practices so if you are interested in pursuing, you can do it in the right sequence.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 4:19 pm

Yes been wondering Kelly, how is Nicky??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Spay Questions/Problems

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next