It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How do i teach her to tell me she has to go?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
uelrindru
Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

Male Join date : 2012-12-05

How do i teach her to tell me she has to go? Empty
PostSubject: How do i teach her to tell me she has to go?   How do i teach her to tell me she has to go? EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 3:40 pm

I recently had a schedule shake up so I wasn't around the times Bella was normally walked for a few months and had someone else walking her at completely different times. This has changed back but she is now used to the new schedule and never seems to tell me when she needs to go. We've had a few accidents when I was there in the house. She just randomly goes into my kitchen away from me and pees.
I have a feeling that the person walking her before was scolding her for peeing in the house which is why she is hiding it, how can I uncondition that and get her to tell me she needs to go.
She's never told me when she needs to go and once we got her on a schedule it wasn't a problem. She's a year and a half old so she should be able to hold it for a good amount of time which she does when I'm at work. Anyone have any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: How do i teach her to tell me she has to go?   How do i teach her to tell me she has to go? EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 3:47 pm

First and foremost, I would suggest crating while you're at work. That way you don't have to worry about pee accidents (even though you said she holds it - not sure if she is crated or not) or anything else that your husky can get into (electrical cords, furniture, etc). There are several threads on this topic. Smile

Schedule/location changes can stress a pup out. Give it a few weeks to let her adjust. If she still doesn't adjust, then try the following.

With that aside, I would start with positive reinforcement training.

I would start letting her outside every hour. When you let her out, say, "Let's go potty!" or whatever you say to make them excited to do their business. As she's waiting at the door for you to open, give her a treat. When she pees outside, give her another treat with lots of praise.

I would use really small treats. Maybe get a few raw hot dogs and cut them up into small pieces.

I think it is mainly up to the dog to tell you that they have to potty, but if you keep up with that method, she will possibly start going to the door to let you know that she wants out.

I'm using this method for my 10 month old foster husky that pees in the house. So far it's working and he hasn't gone pee in the house since (albeit it has only been a few days).
Back to top Go down
uelrindru
Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

Male Join date : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: How do i teach her to tell me she has to go?   How do i teach her to tell me she has to go? EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 3:50 pm

I probably should have mentioned that I do crate her when I'm at work and there are zero accidents then. It's only when I'm home. I'll start taking her out more often then and yeah, she LOVES raw hot dogs. I'm in the habit of eating them right out of the package and she will whine and stare at me until I give her some.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do i teach her to tell me she has to go?   How do i teach her to tell me she has to go? Empty

Back to top Go down

How do i teach her to tell me she has to go?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1