It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!! Empty
PostSubject: ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!!   ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!! EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 5:30 pm

So my baby girl was the only pup in Karma's litter.

She is now 5 weeks old, and she's already a monster!! EVERYTIME we go to pet her she bites!
and her puppy teeth are extremely sharp. My kids, and I have bite marks all over our hands and wrists.
I've read that singleton pups are more difficult to deal with since they have no siblings. Is this why
she might be biting us? What can I do to make her stop? I've tried telling
her no by saying "ouch" but she just looks at me like i'm crazy.

Karma won't even come in to feed her anymore, because it hurts to feed baby. Instead they will play
around and nip at eachother.
Back to top Go down
justeen.farrell
Newborn
Newborn
justeen.farrell

Female Join date : 2013-01-06

PostSubject: Re: ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!!   ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!! EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 5:49 pm

i think it is definatly the fact that she was the only pup!! they learn vital things from their brothers and sisters!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!!   ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!! EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 6:30 pm

I got Kale at 5 weeks, and he was supposedly taken from his mother and littermates at 4 weeks, so I know where you are coming from. Kale didn't respond to yelping, saying no, and only partially to leaving the room. Theonly thing he responded to was a physical correction and redirection. When he was older I would then leave the room after the physical correction. The first link is to the Puppy Biting Sticky, the other two I thought would be helpful as well. There's a search on the left hand side if the methods that I, or others, have used don't feel comfortable to you. Good Luck! Smile

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t1646-puppy-bitting?highlight=puppy+biting

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t7609-puppy-attacking-me-help-please?highlight=puppy+biting

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t7125-bad-biting-problem?highlight=puppy+biting
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!!   ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!! EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 6:44 pm

my pup never responded to ouch or stopping play time when she got mouthy. I do exactly what hypers does- phsyical correction and leave the room for a minute or two. For her im not sure why she never responded to the whole "Ouch" thing since she was 8weeks when we picked her up from the breeder and her brothers and sisters.
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

PostSubject: Re: ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!!   ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!! EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 7:30 pm

when I walk away from her she starts growling, and barking.
She'll then run after me and start tugging on my pants, socks, shoe lace...whatever she can get ahold of.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!!   ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!! EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 7:42 pm

Consistency is key. Leaving the room at her young age wont do much. It's all about redirection to a toy or a puppy safe chew bone. You need to teach her that biting is not the way us humans play. We play with toys, and chewing and biting is supposed to be directed towards the toys and not us. Dog's don't automatically know what toys and such are, we teach them the appropriate things to play with. When she gets older, and is still nipping and biting (which she will most likely will do because of her age when taken from her family) is when the physical correction coupled with leaving the room, and ending play altogether, has more affect. Right now she doesn't have those reasoning skills developed yet.

ETA- just realized that mom is on site lol disregard the quotations lol she'll teach her bite inhibition Smile
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

PostSubject: Re: ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!!   ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!! EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 7:52 pm

haha, I was gonna say she was never taken away from mom...she's just a singleton pup.
but yes, I have to stick with it. I have been switching her from fingers to toys, but somehow she's not interested in toys. She'll bite at it for a second and then try to go for feet and hands again.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!!   ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!! EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 8:12 pm

I'd try something that smells and tastes good, like a puppy nylabone or a small rawhide chip. I never had that problem with Kale hahaha he took to toys really fast. He used to want to take them on walks when he got older LOL He pouted for days after I had to throw away his favorite. It was beyond repair lol
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

PostSubject: Re: ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!!   ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!! EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 8:24 pm

Awe, that's too cute!!
Kind of reminds me of Linus. Smile

I'm willing to try anything to get her to stop. At first it was really cute when she nipped, but now that those teeth are in...it really hurts.

I just don't want her biting people, when all they wanna do is pet her nicely.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!!   ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!! EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 8:37 pm

Singletons do miss out on pack dynamics and learning bite inhibition, they do tend to need more early socialization and handling than a puppy born to a litter.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

PostSubject: Re: ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!!   ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!! EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 8:40 pm

They do, and that's why she is the way she is.
I still love her, and will do everything in my power to make sure she learns how to be a well behaved dog. It'll take time and patience, but she's worth it! I love you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!!   ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!! Empty

Back to top Go down

ahhhh my singleton pup is a biting monster!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1