It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Daycare/Boarding in Houston/ Katy TX

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
frontz
Newborn
Newborn
frontz

Female Join date : 2012-12-18

Daycare/Boarding in Houston/ Katy TX Empty
PostSubject: Daycare/Boarding in Houston/ Katy TX   Daycare/Boarding in Houston/ Katy TX EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 2:23 pm

Hello,

We have a 4/5 month old Husky pup that my wife normally looks after during the day (she doesn't work). She will be out of town for 6 weeks in Jan/ Feb and I will possibly be gone for a week during the same time. Can anyone recommend a good place for daycare/ boarding during these times? I've done a fair bit of research, but it seems every place gets at least a few bad reviews and I'd like her to be somewhere safe. I'd like to ease her into it gradually as she was a rescue pup.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Daycare/Boarding in Houston/ Katy TX   Daycare/Boarding in Houston/ Katy TX EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 2:51 pm

Hello fellow Houstonian! Smile Welcome to the forum! Your pup is gorgeous btw. Smile

My friends board their huskies at Rover Oaks in Katy, TX.

http://www.roveroaks.com/

It's a little bit out of my way (I'm in La Porte), but I would definitely make the drive there. It may be a little bit pricey too, but it gives you that added security!

Let me know how it goes! I hope I helped!

Back to top Go down
frontz
Newborn
Newborn
frontz

PostSubject: Re: Daycare/Boarding in Houston/ Katy TX   Daycare/Boarding in Houston/ Katy TX EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 3:02 pm

Hello! Thanks for the advice, Rover Oaks is pretty close to our house. We will definitely check it out!

How does Juneau do in the Houston heat? Roo has yet to experience it, but she is adapting well to her new home. Hard to believe someone could dump a pup on the side of the road... Sad
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: Daycare/Boarding in Houston/ Katy TX   Daycare/Boarding in Houston/ Katy TX EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 4:01 pm

You're welcome. Smile

OMG, someone dumped Roo on the side of the road?! How terrible!! Thank you for saving her!

Juneau fairs very well in the heat. I got her June 14th 2012 at 7 1/2 weeks. I kept her at work with me (in the A/C) until Oct. Now she's at home from 9-5 in her crate. I let her out for an hr at lunch time. She was always in the a/c during the summer, I only let her outside to potty. She would stay out for about a half hour once the sun starting setting. I also took her to the dog park for 2+ hrs until dark. Her energy level was kinda low too, so expect that!

I wouldn't take her for walks during the day in the summer - do it in the early AM or after work in the evening. Smile

I would suggest crate training your pup (if you haven't already - earlier the better!), it's pretty reassuring when you're not home to watch her and know she isn't chewing on anything (or choking) that she shouldn't be.

Maybe we can meet up at a dog park some weekend! I'm really busy during the week and with daylight ending so early, I can never take her during the "winter time".
Back to top Go down
frontz
Newborn
Newborn
frontz

PostSubject: Re: Daycare/Boarding in Houston/ Katy TX   Daycare/Boarding in Houston/ Katy TX EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Yeah, I know it's hard to believe. The rescue org believe it was a breeder that dumped her, as she had parvo when they got her. But, she has a clean bill of health and doesn't appear to be any worse for wear.

She's crate trained, took to it well actually. She sleeps there are night and is only allowed up on the bed if invited. She's taken to training well, I just wish she would scratch or bark if she needs out. She will go to the door, but if we don't see her she will go right in front of it! She also loves other dogs, so I'm sure she would love to meet Juneau one weekend. Our vet said we should wait until she gets her next set of shots before we take her to a dog park and I believe she will get them after Christmas sometime.

Thanks for all the advice!
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: Daycare/Boarding in Houston/ Katy TX   Daycare/Boarding in Houston/ Katy TX EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 5:23 pm

frontz wrote:
Yeah, I know it's hard to believe. The rescue org believe it was a breeder that dumped her, as she had parvo when they got her. But, she has a clean bill of health and doesn't appear to be any worse for wear.

She's crate trained, took to it well actually. She sleeps there are night and is only allowed up on the bed if invited. She's taken to training well, I just wish she would scratch or bark if she needs out. She will go to the door, but if we don't see her she will go right in front of it! She also loves other dogs, so I'm sure she would love to meet Juneau one weekend. Our vet said we should wait until she gets her next set of shots before we take her to a dog park and I believe she will get them after Christmas sometime.

Thanks for all the advice!

Absolutely! Definitely wait until all shots are done. Smile Yeah, Juneau doesn't bark or scratch at the door either. She'll just knock the blinds back and forth on the door, lol. Sometimes I can't hear it from upstairs!

Good job on the crate training! Looks like you guys know what you're doing.

Juneau was fully potty trained around 4 - 4 1/2 months, so that kinda gives you a general area of when your pup should be done! It varies from each dog.

Good luck! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Daycare/Boarding in Houston/ Katy TX   Daycare/Boarding in Houston/ Katy TX Empty

Back to top Go down

Daycare/Boarding in Houston/ Katy TX

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1