It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky killed for looking like a wolf

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

Husky killed for looking like a wolf Empty
PostSubject: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 9:53 am

This makes me sick Sad

http://www.wboc.com/story/20331923/family-angry-after-dog-shot
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 10:14 am

How devastating for the family!

One duck!

Makes me so mad. I get that it's their right to protect their livestock etc, but seriously it's a dog, not a fox or something.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
kodaandme2012
Puppy
Puppy
kodaandme2012

Male Join date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 10:52 am

i had a friend whos husky was shot by some hunters cause they were out hunting deer thought they saw a wolf and shot before taking a second look. very devastating for every one involved.
Back to top Go down
Kick
Newborn
Newborn
Kick

Male Join date : 2012-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 11:01 am

Aside from emotions, owners should know that these dogs look similar to a wolf...

DNA wise, huskies are pretty damn close. I'm not sure why it'd make someone sick or mad. I feel sorry for the owners, but it is their fault for:

1) not keeping a better watch on their pet
2) apparently not giving it a collar- something orange / reflective would be good
3) not speaking to their neighbor farmers and giving them pics of their pet, etc...call me if you ever suspect a wolf like animal, etc.

If you were in the position of the farmer, you'd probably do the same thing. Let's be reasonable...having our dogs look like wolves is both a virtue and a vice.

On one hand, theyre beautiful. On the other, they look dangerous. If you took one in as a pet in a farming area without researching and/or thinking about making safety for your husky the number one priority, then a husky- or any dog that looks close to a wolf is not a dog for you. It sounds harsh, but that's life.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 11:16 am

Kick wrote:
Aside from emotions, owners should know that these dogs look similar to a wolf...

DNA wise, huskies are pretty damn close. I'm not sure why it'd make someone sick or mad. I feel sorry for the owners, but it is their fault for:

2) apparently not giving it a collar- something orange / reflective would be good
3) not speaking to their neighbor farmers and giving them pics of their pet, etc...call me if you ever suspect a wolf like animal, etc.

If you were in the position of the farmer, you'd probably do the same thing. Let's be reasonable...having our dogs look like wolves is both a virtue and a vice.

On one hand, theyre beautiful. On the other, they look dangerous. If you took one in as a pet in a farming area without researching and/or thinking about making safety for your husky the number one priority, then a husky- or any dog that looks close to a wolf is not a dog for you. It sounds harsh, but that's life.

It makes me feel sick, because the dog that was killed is the same age as my puppy and looks exactly like her. There was a video on tv with pictures, not online.

It is the owners fault by not properly securing the dog or giving the dog a collar/tag. You can't say I would do the same thing as the farmer, because I'm not that type of person. Perhaps you would do something like that, but to speak on everyone else's behalf is not right.

As far as DNA goes, correct me if I'm wrong but from what others have said and my own research, the husky is no closer related to the wolf than any other dog. I'm not saying that's 100% true, so if someone else would like to chime in on that matter it would help. Smile

Last edited by Hayden_69 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kodaandme2012
Puppy
Puppy
kodaandme2012

Male Join date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 11:24 am

no one can really say how the dogs mutated for sure from the wolf, but it has been established that no one dog species has DNA closer to a wolf than any others, some just simply look more like wolves than others, ie huskies to pugs
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 11:34 am

You may enjoy this read Smile

http://www.wayeh.com/aboutsleddogs/wolves.htm
Back to top Go down
Kick
Newborn
Newborn
Kick

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 11:59 am

Hayden_69 wrote:
Kick wrote:

It makes me feel sick, because the dog that was killed is the same age as my puppy and looks exactly like her. There was a video on tv with pictures, not online.

It is the owners fault by not properly securing the dog or giving the dog a collar/tag. You can't say I would do the same thing as the farmer, because I'm not that type of person. Perhaps you would do something like that, but to speak on everyone else's behalf is not right.

As far as DNA goes, correct me if I'm wrong but from what others have said and my own research, the husky is no closer related to the wolf than any other dog. I'm not saying that's 100% true, so if someone else would like to chime in on that matter it would help. Smile

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/02/build-a-dog/dog-families-graphic

A husky is pretty close- more wolf like than a majority of the other breeds through picking and choosing traits. In other words, maybe what I meant to say was that Huskies are more wolf-like than other breeds. Nat Geo analyzed the DNA and sorted them.

I'm speaking for most people, if you're a farmer and you see a wolf-like animal, you'd most likely kill it...that's assuming most people are logical. Being a farmer isn't easy, read around, you'd find plenty of stories about wolves attacking their livestock. Just because you wouldn't want to kill a wolf, doesn't mean others won't. I never intended to speak for everyone- just most people, with a reasonable perspective...and most people aren't cut out for farming anyways.

Point is, owner should have taken care of her puppy better...
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 12:06 pm

Aaaaaand now Im sad and it's barely 9am. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 12:08 pm

Kick wrote:
Hayden_69 wrote:
Kick wrote:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/02/build-a-dog/dog-families-graphic

A husky is pretty close- more wolf like than a majority of the other breeds through picking and choosing traits. In other words, maybe what I meant to say was that Huskies are more wolf-like than other breeds. Nat Geo analyzed the DNA and sorted them.

I'm speaking for most people, if you're a farmer and you see a wolf-like animal, you'd most likely kill it...that's assuming most people are logical. Being a farmer isn't easy, read around, you'd find plenty of stories about wolves attacking their livestock. Just because you wouldn't want to kill a wolf, doesn't mean others won't. I never intended to speak for everyone- just most people, with a reasonable perspective...and most people aren't cut out for farming anyways.

Point is, owner should have taken care of her puppy better...

Coming from a family that owns a cattle farm I can say not every farmer would do that.

Did you get s chance to check out the link I sent about DNA as well?

Just because a Husky looks more wolf like than others doesn't make it anymore wolf than others. It has wolf characteristics, because that's the way they were bred to be independent thinkers.
Back to top Go down
Kick
Newborn
Newborn
Kick

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 12:14 pm

Hayden_69 wrote:

Coming from a family that owns a cattle farm I can say not every farmer would do that.

First and foremost, I do hope I have not offended anyone, especially you.

Skimmed through it- I should be cramming right now, but I'd take Nat Geo's side over most other site's info. Simply due to their analysis and funding for research. I understand the fact that they were not bred from wolves. I never stated that, what I said was that their DNA is pretty close to a wolf and Nat Geo's article confirmed that.

The problem is the fact that they do look like wolves than most of the other breeds. That's why that farmer shot that puppy.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 12:18 pm

While I don't like that the dog is dead anymore than anyone else, I agree with Kick on this one. I think the owner shares some responsibility in this. Why didn't the dog have a collar on it? If the farm was 150 ft from their house, why didn't the neighbor know about their dog?

Look at how the family reacted too... they don't make me want to feel bad for them "When I found out, I totally started crying." 'She's supposed to love animals and yet can maliciously kill one." What about the event was malicious? Killing an animal after firing several warning shots is not malicious.

I'm not saying the farmer wasn't a bit off for not knowing the difference between a domesticated dog and a wolf, ESPECIALLY when warning shots didn't scare the animal away and it wasn't growling (I assume that would have been shared); but there has to be some responsibility put on the owner. The story is sad, but it most certainly doesn't "make me sick." It just makes me sad.

And we need to be careful how we distinguish "wolf-like"... are there certain DNA traits shared with the wolf? Yes.. but that doesn't make dogs of ANY breed any less DOMESTIC than other breeds.

The simple plain fact is that DOMESTICATION is bred into modern dog breeds over centuries. That wild/untrusting instinct is gone. There is an extreme difference in saying that they are alike in DNA with wolves and that huskies are less domestic than other breeds. We need to be VERY careful when explaining that to people. We are very similar in DNA to Chimpanzees... but that doesn't mean we can take a chimp from the wild and expect it to act domestic... anymore than we can take a human and throw it in the wild and expect it to act wild and not domesticated. It's a fine line... but it's the line that people don't quite get and what makes people afraid of our very gentle-natured dog.

Husky killed for looking like a wolf Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 12:21 pm

Kick wrote:
Hayden_69 wrote:

First and foremost, I do hope I have not offended anyone, especially you.

Skimmed through it- I should be cramming right now, but I'd take Nat Geo's side over most other site's info. Simply due to their analysis and funding for research. I understand the fact that they were not bred from wolves. I never stated that, what I said was that their DNA is pretty close to a wolf and Nat Geo's article confirmed that.

The problem is the fact that they do look like wolves than most of the other breeds. That's why that farmer shot that puppy.

Not offended at all Smile

You are entitled to your own opinion as well as myself.

What e article failed to mention is that the Husky was pure white. The chances of seeing a pure white wolf is slim to none, especially in Delaware (I don't think there are even wolves in Delaware to be honest with you). I think the farmer was just using it as an excuse truthfully.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 12:21 pm

Maybe they should change Delaware's laws so that farmers can only shoot tranquilizers and have animal control come look at them. That way, the owners could get a special lecture on how to PROPERLY keep a husky safe, and there wouldn't be any more dead ducks.

I do wonder why they didn't get a comment from the owners and only from the kid - really does skew the article in the owner's favour, but that's just my Husky killed for looking like a wolf 2144500265

In the words of my dog, woo wooooo, which loosely translates to live and let live. bounce
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 12:22 pm

All dogs are bred from wolves. Just like we evolved from primates. Originally-- dogs were wolves... it just depends on how long they continued to breed wolf to dog before they started breeding their offspring to each other.

Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 12:23 pm

hmmm this is sad indeed.

On one hand I can see the farmer's point of view and how the dog should have been secured on the owner's property and why the dog was shot when 1 duck was dead. On the other hand I can understand the dog owner's anger and they did post flyers in the area and probably went around asking neighbors if they have seen the dog and your telling me the neighbor couldn't draw the connection. But hey I really wouldn't know because I live in a completely different area and there is probably many more views/sides of the story other then what was reported.

Hopefully this doesn't happen again.
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 12:23 pm

Koda wrote:
Just like we evolved from primates.

THATS NOT WHAT JESUS SAID IN THE BIBLE.

jk. that was just my internal dialogue replaying itself from catholic school when i was a kid. primate on, playa.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 12:24 pm

Hayden_69 wrote:
I think the farmer was just using it as an excuse truthfully.
While you are entitled to that opinion, I have to say there's absolutely nothing in that article to support that claim. I'm not saying the farmer isn't an idiot, but you're claiming the farmer knew that the animal was a dog and someone's pet and decided to shoot it anyway. That's a super presumptuous claim. Be careful passing judgment on people.

Back to top Go down
Kick
Newborn
Newborn
Kick

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 12:30 pm

Hayden_69 wrote:

Not offended at all Smile

You are entitled to your own opinion as well as myself.

What e article failed to mention is that the Husky was pure white. The chances of seeing a pure white wolf is slim to none, especially in Delaware (I don't think there are even wolves in Delaware to be honest with you). I think the farmer was just using it as an excuse truthfully.

Now imagine that white husky with a collar on.

Also, our evolution from primates and the small percentage of difference between our DNA and theirs shows how important individual genes are and the outcomes from them.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 12:31 pm

DanielleCortez wrote:
Koda wrote:

jk. that was just my internal dialogue replaying itself from catholic school when i was a kid. primate on, playa.
I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't say anything about Adam and Eve in the Bible. That was an Old Testament claim. Just sayin'... Wink But I'm not about to start a religious offensive, tounge-in-cheek or not Smile

Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 12:31 pm

Koda wrote:
Hayden_69 wrote:
I think the farmer was just using it as an excuse truthfully.
While you are entitled to that opinion, I have to say there's absolutely nothing in that article to support that claim. I'm not saying the farmer isn't an idiot, but you're claiming the farmer knew that the animal was a dog and someone's pet and decided to shoot it anyway. That's a super presumptuous claim. Be careful passing judgment on people.

I wasn't trying to say the farmer knew it wasn't a dog or a wolf. I was saying in my opinion I thought it was an excuse, whether it was or not is an unknown.

I said in my second post the owners did have fault, by not not properly securing the puppy and having proper i.d and collar.

The point I was trying to prove is that not all farmers would have shot/killed the dog. Just because one did doesn't mean all would. I don't think it's wrong that warning shots were fired, but it does sicken me that the puppy was killed. Everyone feels differently towards it and that's just how I feel.

Last edited by Hayden_69 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 12:32 pm

Koda wrote:
DanielleCortez wrote:
Koda wrote:

I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't say anything about Adam and Eve in the Bible. That was an Old Testament claim. Just sayin'... Wink But I'm not about to start a religious offensive, tounge-in-cheek or not Smile

haha, i know i know. i was just making a joke.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 12:36 pm

Hayden_69 wrote:
The point I was trying to prove is that not all farmers would have shot/killed the dog. Just because one did doesn't mean all would. I don't think it's wrong that warning shots were fired, but it does sicken me that the puppy was killed. Everyone feels differently towards it and that's just how I feel.
No one said that all farmers would have shot the dog. The point Kick was making is that it's not an irrational response to an unknown animal that does look wolf-ish to use a gun to protect his livestock. I understand that point wasn't perhaps expressed in the best manner, but personally, I thought the intent of the comment was fairly clear.

It's sad. No one is saying it's not... but I just don't pass incredulous judgment on the farmer for his actions anymore than I pass incredulous judgment on the owner. Although, if the farm was a neighbor, I still don't understand why the owner didn't go over there first and ask. If I lived next to a farm, you bet your ass that's the first place either of my dogs are going. Just sayin....

Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 12:40 pm

Koda wrote:
Hayden_69 wrote:
No one said that all farmers would have shot the dog. The point Kick was making is that it's not an irrational response to an unknown animal that does look wolf-ish to use a gun to protect his livestock. I understand that point wasn't perhaps expressed in the best manner, but personally, I thought the intent of the comment was fairly clear.

It's sad. No one is saying it's not... but I just don't pass incredulous judgment on the farmer for his actions anymore than I pass incredulous judgment on the owner. Although, if the farm was a neighbor, I still don't understand why the owner didn't go over there first and ask. If I lived next to a farm, you bet your ass that's the first place either of my dogs are going. Just sayin....

That part didn't make sense to me either. I know all the dog's in my neighborhood and even dogs on the next two blocks. I think there was a lot of details missing from the story. At either rate, it's a bad situation all around and it's a shame the dog had to pay the price.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 12:42 pm

This reason is why I hate reading these things in the newspaper or hearing them from the media. No one reports an actual story anymore. They report hype for ratings and it's sickening...

Anyone watch The Newsroom? It's my new obsession.

Last edited by Koda on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky killed for looking like a wolf   Husky killed for looking like a wolf Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky killed for looking like a wolf

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next