It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Suggestions on collar/leash type and brands

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

Suggestions on collar/leash type and brands Empty
PostSubject: Suggestions on collar/leash type and brands   Suggestions on collar/leash type and brands EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 6:26 pm

I’m thinking about getting a new collar and leash for my 2 and wondering what everyone’s preferences are. There are SO many brands out there I am not sure what the best ones are. I have heard that Lupine is a very good brand. I also want one that is not going to be too bulky and look nice, and ones that are not the clasp that just snaps into place. Another necessity is a leash with a traffic lead
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on collar/leash type and brands   Suggestions on collar/leash type and brands EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 7:51 pm

Most people prefer and recommend Lupine because they'll replace their products even if they're chewed apart.

I'm a fan of Ruffwear leashes. I have the "knot-a-leash" and love it, but it doesn't have a traffic lead. Their Flat Out leash and Roamer leash both do though.

I remember seeing that the Kong leash at Petsmart has a traffic lead. I don't have it, but I have the harness that matches and have been very pleased with the quality thus far.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on collar/leash type and brands   Suggestions on collar/leash type and brands EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 7:57 pm

I just came across the Ruffwear collars and leashes today and thought that they looked very cool, especially the knot a leash and collar, even though it does not have a traffic lead. I think the grey one would look really cool on both of them. RIght now he has one from Indi-Dog out of the UK and I have been happy with it so far. It does not have a buckle or snap connector and I prefer those

I use a training collar to walk them, which I am hoping to wean Nikko off that soon, but he seems to know when the prong collar is off because he will pull really bad, especially if we see people on our walks!

Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on collar/leash type and brands   Suggestions on collar/leash type and brands EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 8:34 pm

I have every RW collar and leash, and I would recommend the top rope collar and flat-out leash. I LOVE my knot-a-collar and my dogs primarily wear them, but I would never walk them on those collars or anything since you can't really tighten them to the perfect setting. I just keep those on since they hang loose, are relatively thin, and I think they'd have a better chance of staying on if they got out. The top rope collar is the ONLY collar I am comfortable walking with, that buckle is intense.
I love the carabiner on the knot-a-leash and the material it's made out of is sturdy, however it's not very comfortable for reeling your dog in if you need to gain better control of them, and it's short at 4'. I used these for a couple months and recently switched to the flat-out. I like the traffic handle, the leash doesn't hurt my hand if I grab it, it's a bit longer, and I can clip it on my waist or around a pole. Smile The latch on it is very sturdy too and isn't designed to where the clasp could accidentally be opened like a lot of other leash clasps.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on collar/leash type and brands   Suggestions on collar/leash type and brands EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 8:45 pm

Heather! wrote:
I have every RW collar and leash, and I would recommend the top rope collar and flat-out leash. I LOVE my knot-a-collar and my dogs primarily wear them, but I would never walk them on those collars or anything since you can't really tighten them to the perfect setting. I just keep those on since they hang loose, are relatively thin, and I think they'd have a better chance of staying on if they got out. The top rope collar is the ONLY collar I am comfortable walking with, that buckle is intense.
I love the carabiner on the knot-a-leash and the material it's made out of is sturdy, however it's not very comfortable for reeling your dog in if you need to gain better control of them, and it's short at 4'. I used these for a couple months and recently switched to the flat-out. I like the traffic handle, the leash doesn't hurt my hand if I grab it, it's a bit longer, and I can clip it on my waist or around a pole. Smile The latch on it is very sturdy too and isn't designed to where the clasp could accidentally be opened like a lot of other leash clasps.

I like the idea that the clasp is sturdy, I really don't trust plastic clasps to hold if my husky decides he wants to run after a squirrel or rabbit. I'd prefer to get him a collar that he can wear all the time AND I would be able to walk him in it. Right now he has his semi-slip collar and I put a training prong collar on him for walks, but I would like to start getting away from the prong collars, but he would pull way to much, especially if we go somewhere else, like the dog park or PetSmart.

I really like the idea of the Flat Out leash, and being able to hook it to a pole or something if I need to tether him for a short period of time.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on collar/leash type and brands   Suggestions on collar/leash type and brands EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 8:53 pm

I can guarantee you would be very happy with the top rope collar and flat out leash- Jenn, Claudia and myself all use these Smile
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on collar/leash type and brands   Suggestions on collar/leash type and brands EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 8:55 pm

Thanks! You have been very helpful!!!
Back to top Go down
gocavs627
Puppy
Puppy
gocavs627

Female Join date : 2012-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on collar/leash type and brands   Suggestions on collar/leash type and brands EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 9:00 pm

My fellas aren't fond of collars, they do much better on the Easy Walk Harness. I use a Kong Rope Leash (the 4ft one) because the handle is padded and doesn't cut into my hand when they pull.

I am looking into the Ruffwear stuff too Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on collar/leash type and brands   Suggestions on collar/leash type and brands Empty

Back to top Go down

Suggestions on collar/leash type and brands

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1