It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

keeping husky cool in summer months in Australia

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Laura Newson
Puppy
Puppy
Laura Newson

Female Join date : 2011-12-03

cool - keeping husky cool in summer months in  Australia Empty
PostSubject: keeping husky cool in summer months in Australia   cool - keeping husky cool in summer months in  Australia EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 5:40 am

Kira just loves the beach and goes straight in the water when we go there. Cant wait to get in. So we are thinking to get her a baby pool for home like clam shell for kids where you fill it with water. We know she like the beach and we also have a large plastic bucket we fill up with water for her to drink out of but too small for her to go really go in but she does try mind you. She puts her two front feet in when she is in play mode and bites the water so funny to watch.

Anyway just asking if other husky owners have bought something like this. Should I get one for her, not sure if she will go in. All I know is that she loves the beach and at home often puts her two front feet in bucket drinks and bites the water. I have also seen her put her head under quickly dont why but she does this when she is in an exitable mood.. Comes out totally drenched.

Still working her out and what she likes and doesnt like.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: keeping husky cool in summer months in Australia   cool - keeping husky cool in summer months in  Australia EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 10:18 am

I'm in WA and I'm thinking of the clam shells as well. The kids get out there and squirt her down with their water pistols and the hose.

My poor baby girl, I've never seen her pant so much in her whole life.

I put ice cubes in her water and give her frozen raw foods to help keep her cool as well.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
Charsmom
Teenager
Teenager
Charsmom

Female Join date : 2012-07-19

PostSubject: Re: keeping husky cool in summer months in Australia   cool - keeping husky cool in summer months in  Australia EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:21 am

I think lots of us use kiddie pools for our furbabies. I had one for Char over the summer, he didn't really go in, but he use to walk through it and play with it. If Kira likes water she will probably go in. Funny how you are dealing with the heat and we are suppose to see our first snow today, mind you it it blue sky and sunny so I don't think we will see snow, but it is cold enough.
Back to top Go down
Buddywoof
Newborn
Newborn
Buddywoof

Male Join date : 2012-10-09

PostSubject: Re: keeping husky cool in summer months in Australia   cool - keeping husky cool in summer months in  Australia EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:40 am

i use a kiddy pool at my place. Buddy loves jumping in whenever he gets too hot or after a run..
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: keeping husky cool in summer months in Australia   cool - keeping husky cool in summer months in  Australia EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 4:34 pm

We have a couple blue plastic kiddy pools for the summer. Our huskies love them. That and we have a large concrete fountain that they like to use as a drinking fountain!
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: keeping husky cool in summer months in Australia   cool - keeping husky cool in summer months in  Australia EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 5:45 pm

We had a pool in AZ and Koda would just put his front paws in the water when he wanted to cool down. We gave him a kiddy pool too, which we'll buy one next year for the dogs. Both of mine love the sun though, when we went back home in June, they just layed on their sides or backs outside in the hot as hell AZ sun, and then would come in and lay on the cool tile, haha.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: keeping husky cool in summer months in Australia   cool - keeping husky cool in summer months in  Australia EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 6:41 pm

We had a kiddie pool this summer for the pups.. Kerian love to play in it she would roll around in it then run and play in the dirt of course the pool got dirty fast.

Now Blaze only used the pool as a large drinkng bowl. I couldn't get him to play in it.. He does love to lay in the hot sun during the day for several minutes at a time.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: keeping husky cool in summer months in Australia   cool - keeping husky cool in summer months in  Australia EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 7:08 pm

cool - keeping husky cool in summer months in  Australia 396970_2918818417818_1840990235_n

This is about as far into the pool as Koda goes.

Last spring, I threw him into the pool and I'm pretty sure I traumatized him... ya think?
cool - keeping husky cool in summer months in  Australia 379464_2918819857854_1901507839_n
Back to top Go down
lpp06
Puppy
Puppy
lpp06

PostSubject: Re: keeping husky cool in summer months in Australia   cool - keeping husky cool in summer months in  Australia EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Picture 1: "This is living right here"
Picture 2: "Get me out of this hell!"
Back to top Go down
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: keeping husky cool in summer months in Australia   cool - keeping husky cool in summer months in  Australia EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 12:01 am

We have the clam pools for ours, one in their run and one outside. Hunter isin't convinced but Mills loves it and chases the water with her mouth as well. We had a hot day on Saturday and they spent time in the pool, in the shade, I gave them frozen water melon in water blocks. Another one is salt reduced chicken stock, with little toys, treats, etc in them, also try freezing some hand towels for them to chew on.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: keeping husky cool in summer months in Australia   cool - keeping husky cool in summer months in  Australia EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 12:06 am

lpp06 wrote:
Picture 1: "This is living right here"
Picture 2: "Get me out of this hell!"

Pretty accurate, haha
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: keeping husky cool in summer months in Australia   cool - keeping husky cool in summer months in  Australia EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 12:11 am

We use kiddie pools for ours too. Ares still isn't fond of it, Embry will just put his feet in and Zoey is a born swimmer Smile

cool - keeping husky cool in summer months in  Australia 7877821132_b9fcafe356
Zoey by Arctic Blue Huskies, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: keeping husky cool in summer months in Australia   cool - keeping husky cool in summer months in  Australia Empty

Back to top Go down

keeping husky cool in summer months in Australia

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1