It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) Empty
PostSubject: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 12:00 am

Here are a few photos of Thane in action during our 20 some odd dog, leash free hike. Thane was the only husky and people were shock that he could be off leash and could respond to my recall.
THIS IS ANOTHER VICTORY FOR THE HUSKY NATION!

Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) Dsc_0910
Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) Dsc_0810
Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) Dsc_0913
Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) Dsc_0912
Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) Dsc_0911
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 1:32 am

I hardly consider a 7 month old dog being off-leash on a hike with other dogs a "victory for the husky nation."

Looks like a nice hike and that you had a lot of fun.

Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) Hailey10
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 1:48 am

Koda wrote:
I hardly consider a 7 month old dog being off-leash on a hike with other dogs a "victory for the husky nation."

+1 for Tori...fwiw, my male had fantastic recall and then BOOM he didn't. Now he's just a normal husky that can't be trusted off leash.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 1:53 am

Yea kale was a gem until he hit 10-11 months, then I was invisible when we're we outside. Just be careful and vigilant.

Looks like a really fun time!
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 1:56 am

Freaking hell. Really? Here? Everywhere? It does get tiresome.

At least someone gets to enjoy some run around free time.

My husky doesn't bolt out open front doors. So there.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 1:57 am

What exactly does that mean?
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 2:01 am

Yeah my youngest, 9 months old can be off leash too, but I don't. His safety is worth more to me then him having a few extra feet of freedom.

Nice beach pics though. Looks fun.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 6:44 am

harrise wrote:
Freaking hell. Really? Here? Everywhere? It does get tiresome.

At least someone gets to enjoy some run around free time.

Amen Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) 1625187496 With Huskies being dogs and dogs being pack animals I think the possibility of running off was less then if alone. Would I do it probably not but I think its great when they don't.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 9:42 am

Looks fun,

some nice pics of the whole event there. Really like the water one.

I bet thane had a good time, and thanks for sharing. Smile

~Chris~

Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

PostSubject: Re: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 11:18 am

Koda wrote:

That's your opinion and I respect that but I like to look at things this way....

"Victory is won not in miles but in inches. Win a little now, hold your ground, and later, win a little more."

So we'll consider this another...small victory lol. We'll make sure to train extra hard so we can gain more ground.
Thank you all for your nice comments, he and I had a blast!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 12:00 pm

xredrainx wrote:
Koda wrote:

That's your opinion and I respect that but I like to look at things this way....

"Victory is won not in miles but in inches. Win a little now, hold your ground, and later, win a little more."

So we'll consider this another...small victory lol. We'll make sure to train extra hard so we can gain more ground.
Thank you all for your nice comments, he and I had a blast!
You're entitled to your opinion and to do what you like. So long as you are aware that I've known several huskies to be fine off-leash until they hit the teenage years. They give you a false sense of confidence and then all of a sudden they are gone. Other dogs around or not. You are free to train and treat your dog however you see fit. I just want you to do so with the knowledge of people's experience.

Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

PostSubject: Re: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 1:41 pm

Yup, I don't discredit the knowledge that you, this forum, my trainer or my vet have and give me. I use it to my advantage in order to raise the best dog I can as safely as I can. My ultimate goal is for Thane to be leash free and also happy.

Hands down I'd say the majority of people here have been around dogs longer then I've been and know more then I do. I to have seen and met a great handful of huskies who never get let off lead past the teens. But I've also seen and met a few huskies who were leash free after the teenage phase so what I am working towards is not impossible, just hard. I have people who support me and others who tell me what I'm doing is a fools errand but I rather look like a fool who has failed then a loser who never tried. Especially when the goal is attainable.

Don't worry Tori I will not take your advice lightly nor for granted and I'll practice as safely as I can...but at the same time I will not give up on something that is possible but not many can achieve. There are going to be risks and I'm fully aware of the prices I will have to pay if something happens, so I will continue to move forward but with caution and safety in mind.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 2:05 pm

It is, as always, your decision. I'm glad that you move forward with the advice of others.

For what it's worth, I don't think anyone in the world can claim that my two aren't happier than pigs in sh*t... and they are always leashed except in fenced areas. Being leash-free is a convenience for me, not a necessary risk to take for my dogs' happiness. For me, being leash-free is not worth the risk of losing, injuring, or potentially killing my dogs.

Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 2:10 pm

Lots of true information & advice here - nothing that actually contradict others too much. Everybody knows their own husky better than everybody else. Keeping others' advice in mind while keeping your own husky yours is the way to go I think.

I know of one owner around my area that walks his husky of 13 years off leash - and the dog has been off leash since he was around 6 months or so. So it can be done. Kudos to you for trying (and heeding the advice of others), let us know how it turns out.

P.S. love the pics - where was the hike trail?
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

PostSubject: Re: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 3:22 pm

Valens Conservation which I believe is just in Hamilton or Cambridge.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 3:57 pm

Not too far from me (Mississauga)... Is this something you guys do often or was it a one-off?

We haven't taken Stark hiking yet, but it's definitely on our to-do list. Smile
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

PostSubject: Re: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 5:30 pm

My trainer told me about it. Her and a group of trainers and students do this every 3rd weekend of each month at different locations around the gta and outside it. I believe the next one is at Dundas or something I'm waiting for an email, I also believe its open to guest and stuff to,
Back to top Go down
massak
Puppy
Puppy
massak

Male Join date : 2012-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:19 pm

Doggie pack hikes are the best way to let your huskies off leash, because they stay around the action. huskies are bred to run, so they need to run. If i had a doggie GPS, i bet i would find that my dog runs 5 miles for every 1 mile the people do on most hikes. This is probably going to go down as the longest running argument about huskies ever. To each their own.

Anyway, keep up the doggie pack hikes...especially with other dogs that stay real close to their owners, he is in his learning phase and can learn from the pack.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:54 pm

My only issue with people having their dogs off leash, is what happens when it does go wrong. how many people do it and then come back saying "My dog got out," or "Help! My dog is lost." I just don't want someone to come here with another lost dog story.
Back to top Go down
massak
Puppy
Puppy
massak

Male Join date : 2012-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 12:36 am

I forgot to mention one shining husky point. No matter if it's hiking with two dogs or a dozen dogs.... the huskies are ALWAYS, always, always, the dogs leading the pack! Smile
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 1:31 am

massak wrote:
This is probably going to go down as the longest running argument about huskies ever. To each their own.

Exactly! Our dogs are as close as our own family. I think that's why people can get so protective of their own - I know I'd be just as protective over the way I'd choose to raise my kids. This is one of those things that we should just offer our advice on, but ultimately, nobody knows a person's dog better than their human so things like this will come up always and forever. Smile
Back to top Go down
Balto
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) EmptySat May 25, 2013 4:28 am

how is your off leashing doing?
i support your desire to train a husky to off leash walking, im off leash with my husky from 2.5 month to now his 16 month old and doing great, he got great recall and he always keep me on his eyes..
i have few friends with huskys too and they all walk them off leash, its just a thing about persistence and consistency
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

PostSubject: Re: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) EmptyMon May 27, 2013 12:01 pm

He is perfectly fine leash free when we hike. Since 10 weeks I have been training him and have him "check in" with me on our hikes and to this day he still does it be it alone or in a group. He will stay within line of sight (even when chasing bunnies or squirrels) and if I call him in he will come in. I'm not worried really my training and constant practice has paid off. I would like his recall to be more instantaneous but I think that's me being a tad overzealous at the moment.

He is like fine wine...gets better with age lol.
Back to top Go down
Balto
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) EmptyMon May 27, 2013 4:20 pm

im glad to hear that, keep it up that way
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)   Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D) Empty

Back to top Go down

Leash free hike at Valens Conservation (Representing Huskies :D)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1