It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Cali's old humans getting another dog

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

Cali's old humans getting another dog Empty
PostSubject: Cali's old humans getting another dog   Cali's old humans getting another dog EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 3:17 pm

Well I thought I would vent a bit here if you don't mind. Some know I got Cali from a couple that were just getting their lives started together. She had a kid, guessing aged 3, that loved the dogs, both Cali and Luke. Well one day the kid leaves his plate on the couch from eating and goes to walk away. Cali is a smart cookie, a plate left around has food! Cali goes to get it and the kid pushes her and Cali snaps. I agree Cali shouldn't have, but also, neither should the kid of course. Poor parenting in regards to kids, and the dogs. During feeding time, I advised them to always put cali and luke up or in the backyard. The new gf idea was, well its cali's fault, take her to the pound. *sarcasm to follow* Good idea, take your pet to the pound and tell them what happened and see how long she lives. Cooler heads prevailed, and that aggressive lil terd is now my at times aggressive little terd. LOL. I love Cali and wouldn't never get rid of her.
So there is the background story so you see my annoyance I am looking over FB and what do I see? The family is growing! I was shocked cause either they are getting a pet, or they are reproducing like rabbits. Their newest kid is only months old. Well they are getting a dog. And to top it off, the two they are deciding between is a Mastiff (wow thats a good idea, loving pet but they are TANKS on legs) or a Lab. I guess I would say lab would be best, but honestly, Luke, their first dog, is outside practially all the time! How about making him a pet again first! Maybe some training one on one, and bring the kids along. Luke is going on 4 or so, guessing.

Thanks for letting me vent a bit, really annoyed with them right now. I hope they do better as parents to the new dog, the old dog, and the kids. They all need training in that household.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Cali's old humans getting another dog   Cali's old humans getting another dog EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 3:20 pm

Sorry to hear about that :[ Some people just don't understand that a dog isn't a garden decoration. Hopefully they'll become more responsible in the near future </3
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Cali's old humans getting another dog   Cali's old humans getting another dog EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 3:32 pm

Thats all we can hope for lol. But I don't think so. I know I can't take in their next failure. And its not the dog that fails, its the humans failing the dog. I am full + one dog over that lol.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Cali's old humans getting another dog   Cali's old humans getting another dog EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 3:39 pm

Some people never learn. All I can say is that all of our dogs probably don't know how lucky they are. Let's see how long the new pup lasts...still, why would anyone get a puppy with an infant? Infants are enough work as it is!

Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Cali's old humans getting another dog   Cali's old humans getting another dog EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 3:48 pm

I completely agree Val, I don't think they are thinking long term. Most dogs are an easy 10 year commitment. We shall see. I asked about the ages of the ones they are considering. They are fast at answering the questions from those that won't look past " oh a cute puppy/dog" and overlook the ones that are trying to help them out and stop this process b4 it is too late and the dog "attacks" or something when its poor ownership and training that will be the cause of this one, just like Cali was. And Megan can tell you how good Cali is, yes she has her issues - she was abused for roughly 3-4 years so i don't expect her to be perfect.
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Cali's old humans getting another dog   Cali's old humans getting another dog EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 3:54 pm

UGHH FRUSTRATION x100. I am the mother of a four year old and from a very early age I have taught her to respect animals and be gentle(If you show them respect they show you respect). AND YOU NEVER LEAVE A CHILD AND A DOG ALONE, that's how accidents happen....I feel your frustration...
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Cali's old humans getting another dog   Cali's old humans getting another dog EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 4:10 pm

Ugh that's annoying. My brother is 4 and he does eat at his little kiddie table which is perfect dog height of course. We've told him time and time again that if he leaves his plate unattended, in the dog's eyes it's free game. Now my stepfather will argue that a dog should learn to never touch a plate but honestly, I don't care how well trained a dog is, if he's left in a room alone with a plate of steaming food for 10, 20 minutes, he's going to eat it. Especially if it's a younger dog! Maybe an older dog would know better, MAYBE, but our oldest dog is 4 and he's been fed table scraps since birth (I know, bad habit, but he's a spoiled little chi. And it's usually only a corner of bread or a bit of rice.) Next to that is the 1 year old lab. Labs and food? Forget about it, that plate is done.

So we've told my brother. If he leaves it, oh well, it's his fault. But he also knows not to mess with the dogs while their eating it. He can say "No!" but he's been warned not to hit or push them because they're just being dogs. I can't stand when people toss aside the dog because they didn't teach their kid how to act with them. The same goes for kid's obsession with grabbing ears and tails. If you don't teach them that dogs don't like this, yes, they're probably going to get snapped at, and it's not going to be the dog's fault. Absolutely ridiculous that someone would send a dog to the pound because a child messed with it while eating. Is that not the first thing you teach a child? Stay away from the dog while he's eating??!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Cali's old humans getting another dog   Cali's old humans getting another dog EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 4:30 pm

Seamus' original mom got a new puppy probably a year ago. The reason she rehomed Shay was because she had no time and he peed in the house. So.. You go and get a new puppy 8 months later? FB statuses started off cute "Anna loves the puppy, puppy this, puppy that.." Which slowly turned into "damn dog this, damn dog that" and last thing I heard the dog ate a couch or something. Haven't heard or seen anything else after that. Pretty sure that dog is gone too.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Cali's old humans getting another dog   Cali's old humans getting another dog EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 4:38 pm

Well the latest post is, they are looking at said dog and bringing one home today. Not saying breed at this point but I imagine, since both adults are smart phone /fb pic posting happy people, it will be known soon. They have seen my question, one even liked that I asked, but no answer. Oh well. I wish people would do research b4 getting a dog of a certain breed to pick out the one that is perfect match, and then train with them, either in house or in a professional setting. Petsmart trainers, depending on which one you get, can be very good and often they help outside a class. Cali and Mika have both seen a friend of mine that is a trainer and he has given many tips to me. He also says that my dogs don't need much more training, they are both pretty good rounded dogs.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Cali's old humans getting another dog   Cali's old humans getting another dog EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 9:31 am

I landed up taking in a few animals from the same friend over a course of several years. First off was my dog Samantha. Who at the age of 13 I had to put down in August. His girlfriend got pregnant, and decided they weren't taking any chances with the dog, and wanted to get rid of her. Their lose was my gain, she was excellent with kids, and a very well behaved dog. I am truly thankful he decided to give her up. I had a great 13 years with her. Second time was a cat, who I still have. Glad he gave her up too, I love my fat fat kitty, lol. There has been times where he's gotten other dogs, and just been an irresponsible owner. One was even killed by a car. Lack of proper training, and making sure the area the dog was kept in would keep him in. It was a beagle, no way it could jump the fence. I feel your frustration. Some people never make good pet owners. You can always hope they will learn though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cali's old humans getting another dog   Cali's old humans getting another dog Empty

Back to top Go down

Cali's old humans getting another dog

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1