It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Digging in water bowl

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

Digging in water bowl Empty
PostSubject: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 10:09 pm

Wasn't sure whether to put this in nutrition, but I'd say its more of a training thing. So Yuki and Cloud are home alone for about 7 hours during the day. I usually have someone check on them about three hours in and each time they've checked in and I've come home, the water bowl has been completely empty. We were at a loss to as how (seeing as its an automatic waterer that I haven't had trouble with until today), and then I found the problem when I filled up a ceramic bowl and put down the water. Yuki literally digs and digs until she splashes all of the water out. This would be all fine and dandy, if it weren't for the fact that this leaves both of the dogs without water for 3 or 4 hours, 7 hours if no one checks on them. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get her to stop splashing all her water out? She does it with both an automatic waterer with a tank and a ceramic bowl Digging in water bowl 1625187496
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 10:16 pm

Callie did this. -_- For a few days I didn't know where all the water was going because the thing was supposed to hold a gallon and I was constantly filling it up. I corrected her whenever I caught her doing it and until it stopped, I put a towel under her bowl just to save the floors. Now she doesn't do it anymore. I don't know if it was the correction or if she just grew out of it.
She still does it outside sometimes, but I never corrected it out there because I don't care. That's why I think she knows now that digging in the bowl inside is a no no but outside, she can dig whatever she wants.

I've also switched to a plain old bowl because I melted the globe thing? in the dishwasher. She doesn't have free access to water now. She gets a little bit here and there as opposed to having access to water all the time. I did mainly switch for housebreaking purposes and not the digging though. I don't know if this bowl isn't as fun to dig in or what but she hasn't tried it.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 10:35 pm

For Mika, I raised the bowl up to where she didn't bend down to drink anymore and she stopped doing it
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 12:02 am

Honestly, nothing i did vcould get Cato to stop, so I put it on a towel. Eventually, he grew out of it and only does it at the dog park.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
SuzieV
Newborn
Newborn
SuzieV

PostSubject: Re: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 12:18 pm

My little guy does it when he is just finished playing and is hot. I have corrected him but he just will not stop. I have a bunch of towels on the floor and just hope he'll grow out of it!! You're not alone! Smile
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 1:43 pm

Well I put a towel down, thats a start. Luckily my shift is short today so I won't be gone too long and I'll be able to refill the water bowl (probably many times) So glad to know I'm not the only one with a water-bowl loving puppy XD
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 4:41 pm

kevo wrote:
For Mika, I raised the bowl up to where she didn't bend down to drink anymore and she stopped doing it

please be careful. I'm not sure to what extent you have the bowl raised. but dogs are supposed to bend at the neck and shoulder to drink. If the platformtis too tall, it can create a risk for bloat
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 4:50 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Honestly, nothing i did vcould get Cato to stop, so I put it on a towel. Eventually, he grew out of it and only does it at the dog park.

I thought I was the only one! Gah. Our dog park is very friendly, so a lot of people bring their own water dishes with some ice in it. Juneau likes to go to each one and dig all the ice out. >:l lol No other dogs do it besides her! Gotta love em.
Back to top Go down
theredofshaw
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 6:27 pm

ziva will do this too...and then she overturns it and runs around the living room with it...I hate getting after her for doing it because it's so entertaining...trying to keep a straight face while telling her bad dog...
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 6:42 pm

mheath0429 wrote:

Same here!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 7:10 pm

VintageJeans wrote:
mheath0429 wrote:

I thought I was the only one! Gah. Our dog park is very friendly, so a lot of people bring their own water dishes with some ice in it. Juneau likes to go to each one and dig all the ice out. >:l lol No other dogs do it besides her! Gotta love em.

I truly think Cato gets toasty and its his way of cooling down. He has A LOT of coat.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
KotaBear
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 7:07 am

I have to admit this tread is just too funny.

I never thought this would be a trait that more than my husky had. I just attributed it to her being weird. Lol. But she has done this since the day I brought her home, and still does it sometimes to this day. I always just thought she was trying to swim, because she loves being in the water. Any time we go anywhere that has water, she is in it.

We use to have a huge water bowl that her and my GSD shared but it got to the point that she literally would hope in it and swim when she was little. I found her countless times laying in it, or like your dog splashing it everywhere. Shes too big to lay in her bowl now but if she comes in from outside and is really hot, or if she gets really excited she sometimes does it but not nearly as bad as she use too. So I would agree with everyone else in saying yours will probably just grow out of it too. Maybe not completely since mine still hasnt. Lol

Im just glad that my pup isnt the only one that does it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 8:19 am

Both of mine did it for a few weeks. I too couldn't fix the problem, so I just laid a towel under the bowl and changed it out as needed. I did say "NO!" every time they started it and took the bowl away. I started out with the Drinkwell water fountain, but quickly realized it is not Husky friendly (way too tempting for them). So, I replaced it with a stainless steel bowl that's got the rubber around it, so it can't spill. Eventually, it did stop and they still do dig in water, just outside thankfully!

Not my pup, but pretty freakin cute!
Back to top Go down
Unique Melody
Newborn
Newborn
Unique Melody

PostSubject: Re: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 12:42 pm

My female, Nola, does the same. We figured she was wasting out the stagnant water in lieu of the fresher water in the tank. She also enjoys splashing her brother, Dakota.

~Melody
Back to top Go down
LillDragun
Teenager
Teenager
LillDragun

Male Join date : 2012-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 5:57 pm

OMG! Mia used to do exactly what that puppy did in the video! I actually miss it, but I couldn't stand when she did it. I got her one of those stainless steel bowls with the rubber on the bottom and she would bite at the water too because she saw her reflection. She eventually grew out of it.
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 3:06 am

Dakota does it too which is he no longer has access to water in the house. Granted the door to the backyard remains open all day as the weather is wonderfull right now so he just goes outside. i don't care if he makes a flood on the back patio, the kitchen is another matter. By the way and water digging session is usually followed by a zoomies session. lol
Back to top Go down
jasmineramsden
Puppy
Puppy
jasmineramsden

Female Join date : 2012-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 8:19 am

Nikiya used to do this but only if she caught me filling it up and went into a hyper state wanting to play.. She has eventually grown out of it though after a few weeks, are you still having the same problem?
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:31 am

Yuki still wants to dig in it, I definitely took the advice on putting the towel under the water bowl. Every time I catch her digging in it I tell her no and take the water bowl away, and then set it back down, making sure she doesn't dig in it again. While I'm at home she won't dig now, but every time I leave for work I come home to an empty tank and a soaked towel. I'm hoping she'll just grow out of it XD
Back to top Go down
japhotos
Newborn
Newborn
japhotos

Male Join date : 2012-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 11:53 pm

We had the same problem until we bought this anti tip/splash/digging water bowl that we picked up from our local pet store. Here is the link to it, hope this helps!

http://www.roadrefresher.com/
Back to top Go down
Charsmom
Teenager
Teenager
Charsmom

Female Join date : 2012-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 9:06 am

japhotos wrote:
We had the same problem until we bought this anti tip/splash/digging water bowl that we picked up from our local pet store. Here is the link to it, hope this helps!

http://www.roadrefresher.com/

I watched the videos on this and I want one. Char doesn't dig in his bow, but he does drip water all over from his wet face. My kids wanted to know why he doesn't drink like the cats and only put his tongue in the water. lol!
Back to top Go down
Petra13
Newborn
Newborn
Petra13

Male Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 12:23 pm

Petra digs only when there are ice cubes in the bowl Very Happy
Back to top Go down
madisonmenece
Puppy
Puppy
madisonmenece

Male Join date : 2012-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 6:38 pm

Arya done this too, when she is in her crate we give her water in her go slow bowl which we use for her kibble,she doesn't dig at it anymore.
Back to top Go down
Jasper9
Newborn
Newborn
Jasper9

PostSubject: Re: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 4:13 pm

Jasper did this for a while! Laughing He has always had a raised food and water but we were wondering if we'd have to get something bigger. But since i'm working from home until my company finishes the new offices I kept his water bowl only half full. It was a little bit of a pain because I had to listen and make sure he didn't run out. He drinks like a fish! But now we are able to leave the bowl full and he hasn't done it in a while.

He now will sometimes lay down so his head barely reaches the water and drinks. Rolling Eyes Smile

Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 4:28 pm

The digging finally ceased, it just took a lot of correcting her. Now she tries to dig occasionally but she's stopped doing it every single time she went near the bowl xD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Digging in water bowl   Digging in water bowl Empty

Back to top Go down

Digging in water bowl

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1