It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

I think my husky is broken lol

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

I think my husky is broken lol Empty
PostSubject: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 11:24 pm

Cally is officially a broken husky lol. I got her completely expecting a stereotypical husky like the one we had before (Alpine). This is a list of things Cally does not do....

-does not dig
-will not howl unless she's away from me or in the crate
-does not run away (hoping it stays this way)
-hates strangers... she doesn't like old people, tall men or people coming into our house that she doesn't know...

She's broken... lol

Just to clarify: I don't let Cally off leash except for at the dog park where she runs in the forest and field etc. or at the cottage and both places I keep a good eye on her.
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 11:27 pm

She is only 8 months though... hoping this "broken" husky behaviour continues throughout her teenage stage lol
Back to top Go down
ToccoasMom
Puppy
Puppy
ToccoasMom

Female Join date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 11:44 pm

LOL, if that's the "broken" criteria.....then mine is too. Heavens knows Toccoa has her issues, but very few of them are typical. She doesn't like strangers (at all!), she doesn't dig, she doesn't attempt to escape. I'm positive that I could leave the front door wide open and she'd go lay down. And just to clarify, I wouldn't test that theory Smile She doesn't like treats of any kind. She only howls if I've been gone, no other time. And since I work from home, that's not very often. She doesn't like many toys, but she is an ice fanatic.

She's nine months old, so I'm hoping the same as you!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 11:54 pm

Yep, she's a still a pup. Asia is scared of men, people who approach her randomly, and barks! Neither of my other two barks! She's 10 months. She's not broken though. Little midget red dog howls, argues, is on some serious doggie cocaine, and is so sweet to those she's gotten to know. She's SOOOO naughty!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 11:59 pm

Lol ahah I absolutely love my pup regardless :p she just doesn't follow any of the husky stereotypes, once again not complaining! lol
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 12:04 am

Can I have just ONE broken husky too? Razz
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 12:41 am

My guess is that they are born "broken" and no one can actually "break" a husky. If we could "break" them, I'm guessing that many of us would be trying it!

There are days that I would love to have dog like Cally! I do enjoy the friendliness and "never meet a stranger" attitude of most huskies. And, believe it or not, I even enjoy the howling and talking back at times!

I hate the digging...
...and I wish Sabaka's fur was "broken" and he would stop all the shedding!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 12:49 am

Lol I miss the howling from having Alpine, been trying to teach Cally to do so on command! The not digging and great recall are awesome though!! And it is kind of nice knowing that if a burglar came in the house Cally would bark.
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 1:02 am

MelissaI wrote:

Just think how boring life would be with broken huskies! lol Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 8:31 am

Demon&Dakota wrote:
MelissaI wrote:

Just think how boring life would be with broken huskies! lol Very Happy

Extremely! I love them crazy as they are. Even though I want to kick their butts sometimes, but just sometimes Razz
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 8:42 am

Saber has never dug a hole in his entire life either and he's 13!
He does howl, talk back and bark. I think my parents dog taught him how to bark!
He seems to like strangers okay but he loves small children! I don't know why because he didn't grow up with any!
I can count the things he's destroyed on one hand and still have fingers left over. And all were when he was a puppy.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 9:38 am

Haha. Bode is four months old, so I know we have a long way to go, but he hasn't chewed anything and he's not really hyper (he has his moments, but he's pretty mellow for the most part). He does dig and is the mouthiest dog I've ever heard. I'm hoping he retains his "broken" behaviors through teenage years. He also doesn't like strangers though, and I don't like that because I don't want him to be fearful/aggressive towards them. We're working on it and it's getting better!
Back to top Go down
tfaigle
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2012-08-20

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 11:15 am

Robin,

you can "break" Jeter if you want. So far we're dealing with the digging, potty training, and nipping.

He doesn't howl, but will be very vocal when put outside. Thankfully long walks keep him calm and have helped me lose weight in the 2 weeks we've he's had us.
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 11:32 am

Danzig is pretty fond of doing all of these things, except escaping. He only did twice when he was a pup. Now we can leave him in the yard all day and he never thinks about getting out. But we have a very large backyard. The only places he digs are in the middle of the yard but he likes to lay in the holes, so it's kind of cute. He defintely howls and talks back! But I like that and encourage it.
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 11:38 am

Tom,
Send him over :p I was expecting a digger, nipper and bad potty trainer and I got Cally, I think I'm equipped to deal with a second one lol. Good luck with him though!!

That`s another thing, Cally never nips; always plays with toys and she was the easiest ever to potty train.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 11:45 am

Ginger and Storm are very mellow. So mellow, that they literally lay around or sleep ALL DAY! They will 'perk' up when it's time to eat like clock work. They will sometimes sing 'Good Morning' for me on their own, otherwise, I have to prompt them to sing. They don't pull. They will 'perk' up when I pull out their collars because that means we're going somewhere which means we're getting in the car. They don't dig. They don't chew anything except for their bones and chews. They take their treats gentle. They don't jump up on people or us, unless we greet them excited and tell them they can jump up on us. They wait for their food, and they don't charge food when it's dropped on the floor. They will greet strangers only after we let them in the house, then they will walk up to them to sniff, and if you're a dog person or give them affection, they will give kisses.

I don't think mine are broken - I think they are well behaved tongue

Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 11:49 am

cmanding wrote:
Ginger and Storm are very mellow. So mellow, that they literally lay around or sleep ALL DAY! They will 'perk' up when it's time to eat like clock work. They will sometimes sing 'Good Morning' for me on their own, otherwise, I have to prompt them to sing. They don't pull. They will 'perk' up when I pull out their collars because that means we're going somewhere which means we're getting in the car. They don't dig. They don't chew anything except for their bones and chews. They take their treats gentle. They don't jump up on people or us, unless we greet them excited and tell them they can jump up on us. They wait for their food, and they don't charge food when it's dropped on the floor. They will greet strangers only after we let them in the house, then they will walk up to them to sniff, and if you're a dog person or give them affection, they will give kisses.

If that`s the case then so far I have a very very well behaved 8 month old :p
Back to top Go down
MicroBrewer
Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

Male Join date : 2011-10-20

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 12:14 pm

cmanding wrote:

This is what I keep telling myself.

Brewer does a great job of avoiding all typical husky traits that we have all grown to love and hate (digging, jumping, nipping, pulling, etc).
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 12:59 pm

Just keep in mind she hasn't hit her teen years yet. Fingers crossed! Smile Frosti is a typical husky - so naughty!, Chili is a complete fake husky. Smile
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 1:13 pm

Aha I know! That's why I said I hope she stays like this throughout her teenage years :p
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 1:18 pm

Wow! I wish mine were broken! Nikko is 9 months, and it has been an interesting time! He LOVES to dig, even if it is at the carpet. He is very vocal, especially when he meets other people or goes into PetSmart. As soon as we walk in you can hear him throughout the store. He also nips a lot and is stubborn! And a nightmare to housetrain. But I love him all the same, even with all his craziness!
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 7:18 pm

Not broken just mellow, be thankful!! lol.
Back to top Go down
Nicholas F.
Newborn
Newborn
Nicholas F.

Male Join date : 2012-08-16

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 8:46 pm

She's not broken, she's Cally. Wink
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 9:05 pm

Tee hee I love her Smile
Back to top Go down
theredofshaw
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 11:13 pm

The housetraining is basically done already. Ziva learned to go to the door and yip or paw the door after the first week (thank god! first week was rough!). She's been sleeping an easy 5+ hours at night in the crate before a potty break. already learned sit, lay, shake and roll over consistently. trying to break her of trying to climb on the couch and the nipping. she talks back when telling her OFF or NO lol. I could do without the digging though, had to fence off the garden because of it. fortunately, the new dig spot is in a spot in the yard that I wanted to level out anyway so it's not too big a deal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I think my husky is broken lol   I think my husky is broken lol Empty

Back to top Go down

I think my husky is broken lol

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next