It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Titus has something against red meat! How to get him to eat?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

Titus has something against red meat! How to get him to eat? Empty
PostSubject: Titus has something against red meat! How to get him to eat?   Titus has something against red meat! How to get him to eat? EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 8:01 pm

We started raw a month ago. But whenever I give Titus red meat, he will take a sniff and walk away from his bowl. I tried beef, kangaroo, ox cheek and tongue. The only red meat he will eat is my lamb cutlets. But that's gonna be too expensive to feed him regularly. The only meat he will voluntarily eat is chicken quarters. That's why he's been getting chicken quarters every evening and chicken mince in the morning. I give him fish too sometimes. He need red meat as part of his diet too right? This morning I gave him some kangaroo meat. Same thing, wouldn't eat it. So I fed him with spoon until he finish the whole bowl. Is there any way to teach him that red meat is part of his diet too?

PS: Lycan has no problem eating anything. As a Malamute, well I think it's part of the trait, he eats everything except dog food:)
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Titus has something against red meat! How to get him to eat?   Titus has something against red meat! How to get him to eat? EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 9:21 pm

What about partially cooking it or warming it up? I dunno, just thinking. Would be nice to hear what others says cause my Cali is kinda odd about her raw when she gets it at times.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Titus has something against red meat! How to get him to eat?   Titus has something against red meat! How to get him to eat? EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 9:25 pm

Well, I'd show some tough love. He eats what you give. If not then he waits till next meal where he is offered the same thing again and so on. I would not offer what he prefers until he's eaten the other meat you wanted him to eat.

Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: Titus has something against red meat! How to get him to eat?   Titus has something against red meat! How to get him to eat? EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 7:38 pm

He eats chicken but not red meat. I'll 'force' him to eat some red meat. It's part of the diet right?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Titus has something against red meat! How to get him to eat?   Titus has something against red meat! How to get him to eat? EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 9:09 pm

He needs a good variety of meat so just one or two things is not going to cut it. Granted, you don't have to feed things he doesn't prefer very often but the key to balance over time is plenty of variety. Do you offer other things like pork, fish, turkey?

Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: Titus has something against red meat! How to get him to eat?   Titus has something against red meat! How to get him to eat? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 5:41 am

I give them fish maybe twice a week. Haven't tried pork because my freezer space is small (I read that pork have to be frozen for 2 weeks before feeding) and I will be moving soon, so I'll get a freezer in the new house. I'm am going to try turkey this weekend. Have some 5lb turkey leg for sale. Is the bone edible?
I finally found a steady supply for beef and kangaroo. Gonna give them chicken quarters for dinner and beef or kangaroo for breakfast and lunch for the puppy. They also get cottage cheese and boil egg for tea sometimes. Think I'll spoon feed Titus the red meat until he knows that he is suppose to eat it.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Titus has something against red meat! How to get him to eat?   Titus has something against red meat! How to get him to eat? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 8:20 am

Yes, the turkey bone is edible but it is harder than chicken bones and therefore probably not a good pick for puppies.

As for pork, if it is from questionable sources then I think there is a 7+ day freezing recommendation before feeding. That is not the case if you're getting it from a clean, good source...at least here in the US, I'm not sure about Australia. I buy my pork from our local supermarket so I know that I don't have to worry about extended freezing, although I still do a minimum 3 day freeze on all my pork as a precaution.

Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: Titus has something against red meat! How to get him to eat?   Titus has something against red meat! How to get him to eat? EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 1:49 am

If I get the pork from a butcher or supermarket which is of course human grade, then I would only have to do a few days of freezing. I usually get a weekly supply of their food
For the fish do I have to cook it? I always gave them fillets not the whole fish about more than half cooked because I'm not sure whether should I give that raw or not.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Titus has something against red meat! How to get him to eat?   Titus has something against red meat! How to get him to eat? EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 4:56 pm

You can feed the fish raw.

PostSubject: Re: Titus has something against red meat! How to get him to eat?   Titus has something against red meat! How to get him to eat? Empty

Back to top Go down

Titus has something against red meat! How to get him to eat?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Nutrition and Feeding :: Raw Feeding Forum-