It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

We had a close call today

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

We had a close call today Empty
PostSubject: We had a close call today   We had a close call today EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 5:51 pm

I am so angry right now. We recently moved into a rental house, and the landlord is having the roof redone. The person doing it is a friend of theirs who has always done their "handyman" work. It's a 1000 sq ft house. This job should have taken a couple days max. We are on day 8 and there is still no new shingles on the back. This guy has left the gate open a couple of times, but it has been obviously open so I see it before we go outside and close it. Today he was here to fix the vapor barrier that blew around last night during rain. My aunt was here with her German Shepherd mix for a playdate. After the handyman left, we went outside in the yard. My aunt and I were towards the back of the yard and the dogs ran up towards the front where the gate is. All of a sudden, they weren't there anymore. Turns out he had closed the gate, but not latched it, so it wasn't as easy to see by just glancing that it wasn't shut. My aunt's dog had pushed it open and away they went. We live in a quiet neighborhood, but our road is one of the busier ones. They ran across the street to a neighbors. Luckily, Bode came back pretty easily. My aunt's dog was harder. We were finally able to corner her though. It scared the crap out of me.

I know it's my fault for not checking the gate better before we went out. But I am still livid at this guy. He obviously knows that we have a dog, and he has been super irresponsible about the gate. It doesn't help that I'm already pissed about the length of this job. I emailed my landlord to let her know, but that doesn't change the fact that it happened. Luckily everyone is fine, but I am about ready to rip this guy a new one.
Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

Female Join date : 2012-06-18

PostSubject: Re: We had a close call today   We had a close call today EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 5:58 pm

I would be mad too!! It's a courtesy thing I would think if you knew there were dogs on the premises. I'm glad everyone is okay!!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: We had a close call today   We had a close call today EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 6:00 pm

Is it feasible for you to put up a sign right by the gate reminding everyone to please be sure to close the gate so the dogs don't get out?
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: We had a close call today   We had a close call today EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 6:03 pm

Balonsmom wrote:
Is it feasible for you to put up a sign right by the gate reminding everyone to please be sure to close the gate so the dogs don't get out?

Yes, it is and it's probably a good idea. It just makes me so mad that is even necessary though. It's not a difficult thing to do.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: We had a close call today   We had a close call today EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 6:09 pm

I know it would make me mad too, but you no what they say an ounce of prevention....
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: We had a close call today   We had a close call today EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 6:35 pm

Glad both pups are safe, I woud add a sign on both sides of the gate as well and say something to the guy next time he is over. I know you fell like its clear to not leave the gate open but it sounds like this guy is not the brightest light bulb.

Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: We had a close call today   We had a close call today EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 11:26 pm

It is good hear they the dogs came back in time.

a couple weeks ago I was mowing the yard and when I moved the mower to back I did not get the gate closed all the way and my dogs got out. I ran in the house and yell at John that the dogs were gone. I ran out the front yard and here they came running from next door I was so glad to see them both. I was just about to grab the keys to the car and some leashes and go looking for the,. Shortly after that I decide we needed to get the fence replaced and the gates re done.

Our old fence was over 20 years old and only one gate work and that one was in bad shape.
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

Female Join date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: We had a close call today   We had a close call today EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 11:55 pm

I know how you feel, on my front gate I have a sign that has a picture of a sibe and big red and black letters THIS HOUSE IS GUARDED BY A VERY CRANKY SIBERIAN HUSKY. On my front door (on the inside because my family always forgets) is a sign in big black letters CLOSE THE F****** DOOR BEHIND YOU! THERE ARE DOGS! harsh but trust me, very necessary lol.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: We had a close call today   We had a close call today EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 12:21 am

As someone that comes from a completely non-dog friendly family, and used to utterly hate them myself (yes, it's true) - I totally get it. It's not an inconsiderate thing per-se, but a "doesn't even cross his mind" thing. Is my guess.

It's very common in my family (mom, dad, bro's and sis - not my wife and I family) to chat at the doorway with the door open. So of course that's what we do at my house whenever they come over to visit. Until they see a dog that wants to get outside. It's not that they don't care as much as it is they don't think/remember.

I'd try to cut him a little slack, make the sign as a reminder, and my guess is you'll have a much more pleasant experience in the future.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: We had a close call today   We had a close call today EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 3:24 am

This reminds me of one of my neighbors... We have it good on one side- the family is really sweet and things the dogs walk on water...not so lucky on the other side. Our yard is joined until we can get the landlord to out fencing down the middle, which wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that my neighbor is trying to get rid of my dogs. She leaves the gate on her side open almost every time. No matter how many times I remind her that I have dogs who lose to run....I have to check her gate before letting them off leash every time.

While he is there working I would suggest a tie out. That way, just in case, you are covered should he forget the gate.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
amanda.parker.
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: We had a close call today   We had a close call today EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 12:39 am

Glad you got them both back safely! We just had our roof redone, ours is a lil over 1000sq ft and it took them 5.5 hours to get the house and the garage done. I kept our pup inside the whole time but took him out on a leash once to try to go potty but he was so scared with all the noise. the guys were still very careful about the gate until I told them not to worry about it since I was keeping the dog and kids inside. I'd just remind him in person if you can and then add the note as a reminder.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We had a close call today   We had a close call today Empty

Back to top Go down

We had a close call today

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1