It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

potty training set back...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

Female Join date : 2012-04-10

potty training set back... Empty
PostSubject: potty training set back...   potty training set back... EmptySun May 27, 2012 4:29 am

I have had my 3 moth old on a pretty good schedule for 2 weeks, but i slept in one day and now its like i'm back to square one...

Is this normal? Did she already set a new hapit of going to the bathroom in the house or will i be able to get her back on track easily?

Also, i was wondering if its poitless to start trying to fully enforce potty training until she is 6 months old because her bladder wont be developed completely until then. Shes good at going on either newspaper or puppy pads when in the kitchen and i've never found poopy in her crate and have never caught her peeing in there, either, but i heard i shouldnt leave her in there for more than 3 hrs...

I've been told so many contradicting things that i'm getting screwed up now. lol.
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: potty training set back...   potty training set back... EmptySun May 27, 2012 5:02 am

Consistency, consistency, consistency...and then...some more consistency. I don't personally like the puppy pads and newspapers because...she is still going in the house. It's reinforcing that pottying inside is okay.

When Keeonah was potty training, sometimes I would think she was fine, get up to go to the kitchen and see a wet spot. You can't discipline them if you just see a spot though, their poor short term memory forgets what they did within a minute, so if you spank them or yell at them, they get really confused about why they are being punished. However, swift discipline is necessary every single time they get caught in the act, as well as correcting the behavior (taking them outside). For something like potty training, when they get praised for going outside, they learn to understand going outside is good, but if they get caught going inside, and are disciplined within seconds of them catching it (put the fear of DOG into them), they also learn that going inside is realllly bad. So they will try to hold it so they won't get punished.

A pup's bladder really isn't fully developed until around 9 months, and mannnn if you waited that long, potty training would be damn near impossible. It's best to stick to the same schedule. Every time they wake up, potty break, before and after play, potty break, if you aren't doing anything involved at the time, potty break. Every time she goes potty outside, BIIIG praise and maybe a treat.

You said in your post that you slept in and woke up to a mess. Did she go in her crate? or are you allowing her to sleep outside of her crate already?
Back to top Go down
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

Female Join date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: potty training set back...   potty training set back... EmptySun May 27, 2012 9:22 am

I only use the newspaper and pads because we live in an apartment building and only lay them down when i'm at work or asleep. Otherwise, they are not down and i take both dogs out every half hour to hour. And i do avoid the scolding if i just find a random mess but if shes caught in the act, then i say no! and quickly leash her up and bring her outside and praise her for finishing.

and no she does not mess in her crate but when i'm at work or sleeping, i just confine her to the kitchen [shes always in the kitchen, not allowed on the rugs] because i was told to only crate her one hour to every month old she is.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: potty training set back...   potty training set back... EmptySun May 27, 2012 2:27 pm

Rogue got a UTI and I didn't connect the two together and I was worried she would continue going in the house since she peed so much from the UTI, but I carpet cleaned halfway through her meds and she never peed again.

I think the age they really "connect" with potty training depends. Koda had an accident the first day we had him (7wks) and that was it. He didn't need to go pee or anything every 2 hours, usually 3-4, but each dog is different. Rogue was holding it through the night at 3 months and I could wait around 4-5 hours to take her out if I was lazy (I had a broken ankle and had to go down stairs haha so I won't lie, I was often lazy).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: potty training set back...   potty training set back... Empty

Back to top Go down

potty training set back...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1