It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What tie out system do you use?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

What tie out system do you use? Empty
PostSubject: What tie out system do you use?   What tie out system do you use? EmptyFri May 25, 2012 8:33 am

Hi, I have noticed in many of your pictures a lot of you use tie out systems for your dogs. Can you tell me what brand works, in others words one they can't pull out of the ground. My husband had an idea to put the metal stake in a bucket of concrete so that it could'nt be moved, anyone done that? Thanks in advance! What tie out system do you use? 550295
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: What tie out system do you use?   What tie out system do you use? EmptyFri May 25, 2012 9:41 pm

ummm I know you guys use them, anyone What tie out system do you use? 550295
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: What tie out system do you use?   What tie out system do you use? EmptyFri May 25, 2012 9:55 pm

I don't use them anymore but I took my first dog on lots of camping trips. I tried several tieouts and the only one he couldn't pull out of the ground was this one...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en-US&q=dog+tie+outs+and+stakes&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13499303908297742500&sa=X&ei=iCnAT4L3E5P0sQLViJjZCQ&ved=0CHsQ8wIwAw

The ones you screw in the ground were worthless. He pulled them out ever time!
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: What tie out system do you use?   What tie out system do you use? EmptySat May 26, 2012 12:02 am

We have always just used the screw-in tie-outs (that's fun to say..."screw-in tie-out"), but we have never left our dogs alone on one. We tie out Sabaka in the front yard where there is no fence while we are there mowing or raking. We have also used one with our first husky in yards that were not fenced. We do have good, ole' hard VA clay soil...I'm sure that actually make a difference! We use pick axes to plant flower beds (and I'm not joking)!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: What tie out system do you use?   What tie out system do you use? EmptySat May 26, 2012 1:14 am

Lol we have hard soil too. I don't plan on leaving him out on one, but am still undecided as to whether to try to train him on our labs invisible fence or not, the collar and training are 450 so I don't want to waste money. In the meantime the little bugger is getting faster so when we have him out back I'd like to use a tie/out and cable so he stays safe while we are are in the yard playing.
Back to top Go down
jen72691
Newborn
Newborn
jen72691

Female Join date : 2012-06-20

PostSubject: Re: What tie out system do you use?   What tie out system do you use? EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 1:21 am

Balonsmom wrote:
Hi, I have noticed in many of your pictures a lot of you use tie out systems for your dogs. Can you tell me what brand works, in others words one they can't pull out of the ground. My husband had an idea to put the metal stake in a bucket of concrete so that it could'nt be moved, anyone done that? Thanks in advance! What tie out system do you use? 550295

My boyfriend and I purchased an aerial tie-out and its pretty nice (besides the fact that Ziggy tangles himself around trees). Then you never have to worry about your husky pulling the stake out of the ground! http://www.unchainyourdog.org/Trolley.htm has some good info about the aerial tie-outs (also called trolleys).

You can really set it up however you want to. On that site they were showing attaching the tie out to two long wooden posts, but we just drilled a hole in a tree and another in a pole by our front door and bought some eye-hooks to connect the tie-out to. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: What tie out system do you use?   What tie out system do you use? EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 1:31 am

Balonsmom wrote:
Lol we have hard soil too. I don't plan on leaving him out on one, but am still undecided as to whether to try to train him on our labs invisible fence or not, the collar and training are 450 so I don't want to waste money. In the meantime the little bugger is getting faster so when we have him out back I'd like to use a tie/out and cable so he stays safe while we are are in the yard playing.

Invisible fences don't tend to work for huskies. Fur is too thick plus they're too stubborn. They'll fight through the pain. Highly not recommended.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What tie out system do you use?   What tie out system do you use? EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 2:14 am

What tie out system do you use? Img_ph10

That's what we use. It's looped around two posts and a corner post of our deck (a ground stake anywhere in the yard will put her in either of my neighbors yards).

The only time she is out on it is when we're outside with her. I also have a 10 foot lead with two snaps on each end on the deck in case she wants to sit in the deck chairs or if I want to give her more room in the yard on the tie-out I can just latch the two snaps together.

What tie out system do you use? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
pandactivity
Teenager
Teenager
pandactivity

Female Join date : 2012-06-14

PostSubject: Re: What tie out system do you use?   What tie out system do you use? EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 3:43 am

We used a basic tie out (like the one Niraya posted ) tied to a tree,

never again though!
(thats how she hurt her leg)

Im going to look into aerial tie outs though!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: What tie out system do you use?   What tie out system do you use? EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 9:09 am

At our old apartment (which was a single-family home that we rented), we used two systems. We had a runner that extended 100 feet from the house to a telephone pole at the back of the yard and had a 6 ft chord attached to it (see Ceara's picture). Then Hailey had a 50 ft chord of the same tied to the awning support for the small patio/porch. We've only ever secured the tie outs to a tree or fence/support post. I don't trust the ground.

What tie out system do you use? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: What tie out system do you use?   What tie out system do you use? EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 8:19 am

I totally agree about not trusting the ground lol
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: What tie out system do you use?   What tie out system do you use? EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 2:58 pm

We've always used a tree or deck leg before we got the fence. We normally have to go out every 10-20 minutes and untie them from whatever bushes or other crap they've tied themselves up in.

Be careful with collars as well. We didn't have an issue with the buckle style collar (to make sure they wouldn't hang themselves), until a strange dog charged Isis and Dante broke his collar to protect her and stand between them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What tie out system do you use?   What tie out system do you use? Empty

Back to top Go down

What tie out system do you use?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: General Discussions-