It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Grooming. Seriously WTF

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

Grooming. Seriously WTF Empty
PostSubject: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyTue May 15, 2012 5:54 pm

Ok Kiara started blowing her coat and the hair is insane... I want to get her groomed but it's like 75$ at pet smart and I just called a groomer on help here and it's 65$ just for a bath and blow out... I was reading on here a lot of you guys paying like 45$ max for a full groom... How would I go about finding an independent groomer... The prices around here are rediculous. I'm getting annoyed!
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyTue May 15, 2012 5:58 pm

Yeah, Kya and Rio are 45$ TOGETHER at our groomers. And Petsmart has a tendency to treat their clients badly, ei: hurting the dogs. atleast from what I've heard. We have never used them.
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyTue May 15, 2012 6:17 pm

Yea I am not planning on going back... Maybe it's just where I live... It cost so much!
Back to top Go down
Snow White
Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

Female Join date : 2012-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyTue May 15, 2012 6:19 pm

Yeah, groomers are outrageous.

I brush my dog out myself, I clip her nails and I don't actually bathe her at all unless she gets visibly dirty.

Everyone tells me how shiny her coat is, and I haven't noticed an odor so I'm going to stick to doing it my way. Razz
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyTue May 15, 2012 6:22 pm

Yea I want to eventually get a k-9 dryer but dont have 260$ laying around. I just need a blow out bad!
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyTue May 15, 2012 6:23 pm

My old best friend is a groomer at Petsmart and told me never to get it done there (unless it was her, obviously).

I paid $57 total at my daycare place for Koda to get a regular bath and Rogue to be blown out before we moved into our new place. That's + 20% off, but still way cheaper than that much per dog.
Our groomer at my old work charged $50-55.
Another place here where my friend takes her show tibetan mastiff to blows him out for $45 when shedding (note- this dog is 27" tall, 120lbs, and long as hell hair).
I'd just look up on google groomers and call around.

Honestly though, I'd just save and buy your own high velocity trying and a good undercoat rake, deshedding tool, and slicker brush. You can get them for as cheap as around $190 and the brushes are like 10 a piece on Amazon. Maybe more upfront, but long term, way cheaper.
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyTue May 15, 2012 6:26 pm

Just called another high rated place. 60$... Looks like I found a steal *rolls eyes*
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyTue May 15, 2012 6:29 pm

Do you have self-service washes? Usually under $20 with a hydro surge washing system and HVDs!
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyTue May 15, 2012 6:32 pm

I haven't seen one... Not too sure.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyTue May 15, 2012 6:34 pm

Yeah, our self service washer is like 10 bucks and they have a HUGE high velocity dryer there for use! I never even thought about that!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyTue May 15, 2012 6:34 pm

I took Odin to Petco to use their self serve tubs a few months back. They gave me a "quote" price for a "full groom" when they gave me a receipt for the bathing services.. $80!! What the heck!! I laughed and said "$80 to give my dog a bath... when I just did it for $10?!" and then left...

Certainly find an independent grooming facility... But some place that is used to larger dogs because the few small places i've found all quote me around $70-80. The pet supply place we use has a grooming salon attached and they quoted me $40 for bath/blow/brush/nails.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyTue May 15, 2012 6:42 pm

http://www.mudtosuds.com/dogwash.html Is this close to you?

Groupon had a "deal" for groomings and it was by weight.... $50 was 1/2 off a 50+ dog grooming. LOLNOWAY.
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyTue May 15, 2012 6:53 pm

I just called them. Think they were the 60$ one. The feed store by me has a self wash for 15$. Pretty posative I wont be finding anything under 60 unless I do it myself.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyTue May 15, 2012 6:59 pm

My advice is do it yourself. lol. That's what I do! And save up for that drier, you'll love it! I got the bear air 2 drier and love how it gets the girls dry after bathes. Though to get the bone dry it takes about 30 mins and my hand cramps for brushing so much! lol. But they look so pretty and clean afterward.

Oh and get a grooming table.

Grooming. Seriously WTF Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyTue May 15, 2012 7:00 pm

brady.law wrote:
I just called them. Think they were the 60$ one. The feed store by me has a self wash for 15$. Pretty posative I wont be finding anything under 60 unless I do it myself.

I meant because they have a $15 self wash.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyTue May 15, 2012 7:01 pm

Wow I used to get Blaze Groomed at Pet Smart here for 34.00 they washed comb him and did his nails drimeled them. I have since quit going the Girl that was doing him quit there..

I will take him to my Vets office next time they charge 39.00 and I trust them.

We have several self service places here they charge anywhere from 10-25 depending what you get or use I guess.

Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyTue May 15, 2012 7:03 pm

Grooming. Seriously WTF Dog-wash350

Not a bad set up at all.
BASIC SHAMPOO
BASIC CONDITIONER
EAR CLEANER
TEARLESS FACE WASH
RUBBER SCRUBBER
BRUSHES & COMBS
FORCED AIR DRYER
ABSORBANT TOWELS
NON-SLIP FLOOR
WARM WATER
RAMPS
LARGE TUB
APRONS
AND MORE!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyTue May 15, 2012 7:04 pm

That is what the self service places here look like.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyTue May 15, 2012 7:13 pm

Pretty much exactly what a groomer uses. You just gotta get wet and covered in hair. I always go in crappy clothes and change before I go back in my car.
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyTue May 15, 2012 7:19 pm

Ya I guess when I'm not feeling extra lazy I'll need to just go myself. I'll make my friend come help me haha
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyTue May 15, 2012 7:35 pm

Yeah I can do them myself at the feed store for $10 or pay $20 at our daycare for them to be done. I'd rather pay $20 lol! Our pet store is having $15 bath and nail trims this weekend though, you gotta keep your eyes open for deals Smile
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyTue May 15, 2012 8:07 pm

You definitely need 2 people if your dog squirms and wants to get out. We alternate holding their necks so they don't shake! They usually have a slip lead attached to the tub. We taught Chili "shake" for the end of the bath! The small white one hasn't learned it yet! The best part is using the high velocity dryer, which gets most of their hair out.
Back to top Go down
Gilly
Puppy
Puppy
Gilly

Male Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyThu May 17, 2012 5:23 pm

Grooming. Seriously WTF A20791b12d770d2ff372b6_m

get a furminator. i use it twice a week on Khuno and I've had no problem with blowing his coat. There is still shedding, but no where near as bad as i could be. This picture is 100% true:

Grooming. Seriously WTF Furminator-350x303

i'll have to find the pictures i took of khuno's coat like that.
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyThu May 17, 2012 5:27 pm

Yea I got one of those.
Back to top Go down
Gilly
Puppy
Puppy
Gilly

Male Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF EmptyThu May 17, 2012 5:32 pm

how often do you use it?

the past few months i had to do khuno's coat at least 3 or 4 times a week, and now that it seems to be subsided, i only do it once or twice a week.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grooming. Seriously WTF   Grooming. Seriously WTF Empty

Back to top Go down

Grooming. Seriously WTF

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next