It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Inflamed Bowel Disease ???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptySat May 19, 2012 10:28 am

I think by now you've introduced Force in Kody's diet?
How is doing with the introduction of Force in the mix with his bland diet?

Newborn
Newborn
Andrw2121

Male Join date : 2011-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptySun May 20, 2012 1:19 am

Yes, Kodi started Force yesterday and has been doing great!!! He jumps around in the kitchen while I prepare his food for him now. It seems to be sitting well with his stomach, because he still has firm BMs!!!!

Can't thank everyone enough for helping us through this. =)
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptySun May 20, 2012 10:34 am

That's awesome!
I'm so happy to hear he is doing so well!

Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:03 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread but if soft poo is an occasional thing, is that something to worry about? And by occasional, I'm talking atleast once every week or two.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:19 pm

Mindy, I wouldn't be too concerned at that rate, but I would be trying to figure out the cause whether it be food or not.

Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:34 pm

Thanks Val! I'm sure it's food related because she improved from often to occasional with the improvement of quality of food. Ialso don't give her raw hides anymore and I do believe that played a part in the beginning
Back to top Go down
Callicocat
Puppy
Puppy
Callicocat

Female Join date : 2012-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 22, 2012 9:59 pm

Hi all, I also have a bland diet related question but didn't want to start a new thread. I was wondering how much I should my pup. I started him on eggs and carrots last night. He's 9 weeks and weighs 15 pounds. My vet recommended resetting his digestive system with some bland food. I was think of giving him about 6 eggs and 1 cup carrots a day. Is that too much? Not enough?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 22, 2012 10:10 pm

I think you want to mash the carrots correct?
Back to top Go down
Callicocat
Puppy
Puppy
Callicocat

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 22, 2012 10:14 pm

I parboil them, I think mashing was a suggestion if the carrots weren't being eaten?
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 22, 2012 10:27 pm

I thought I had read in the raw feeding forum that dogs cant process them unless mashed? I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
Callicocat
Puppy
Puppy
Callicocat

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 22, 2012 10:29 pm

I guess we'll have to wait for someone else to pipe in because Im not sure on that matter :-)
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 22, 2012 10:34 pm

Yea, I swear I thought if they weren't mashed they just come out whole and don't process the nutrients but I couldn't find it.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 1:40 am

They do not need to be mashed, just cooked to break down the cell walls. I don't recall ever seeing anything about mashing carrots in the raw feeding forum. In BARF diets veggies are broken down into a slurry or paste to make the nutrients available by breaking down the plant cell walls, however cooking them breaks the cell walls so that making them into a paste is not necessary.

Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 1:44 am

Ok that's what I read then haha
Back to top Go down
Callicocat
Puppy
Puppy
Callicocat

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 1:20 pm

Awesome, i will continue boiling them. But how much should I feed him? Any ideas?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Andrw2121
Newborn
Newborn
Andrw2121

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 3:48 am

Hey guys, have a question about feeding THK Force to Kodi.

I'm still transitioning him from his bland diet of eggs and carrots, but once he's on straight THK, what do you recommend as a general daily feeding amount for an 8 month old male husky?

The box recommends 2-4 cups a day for Kodi's age/weight range. I know most of you have commented that the recommended feeding guidelines are too much for our dogs.

He currently weighs 42 lbs and is fairly active ( runs/plays around the house, goes on 3-4 walks a day, try and take him on a longer hike/dog park at least once a week).

Thanks in advance =)
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 8:59 am

I think I would try about 1 dry measured cups daily and as long as he's handling that you can bump it to 1.5 dry measured cups (or wherever his optimal feeding range would be.) I guess I would just be nervous of overfeeding initally and causing loose stool again. I'm sure Claudia or Val will chime in but that's what I would do.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 10:23 am

arooroomom wrote:
I think I would try about 1 dry measured cups daily and as long as he's handling that you can bump it to 1.5 dry measured cups (or wherever his optimal feeding range would be.) I guess I would just be nervous of overfeeding initally and causing loose stool again. I'm sure Claudia or Val will chime in but that's what I would do.
That's what I would do also. I'd rather start less so that you don't over feed which could cause loose stools again, and monitor his weight. If he's losing weight, then bump it up by 1/4c dry measure and monitor his weight and stool. If he's still doing well with that amount, but is still dropping in weight, increase it again by another 1/4 c dry measure. This would also mean you'll need to find a scale that you can consistently use so you'll know if he is gaining or losing weight on a weekly basis. Monitoring his weight like this may be a little inconvenient, but you'll have a better idea of how much food he needs without tummy upset again. Once you find that sweet spot of how much food he needs for the amount of exercise he gets without tummy upset, you'll be able to easily adjust food and treats without having to weigh him.

Back to top Go down
Andrw2121
Newborn
Newborn
Andrw2121

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 11:55 pm

Thanks guys =)
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 11:02 am

How is Kodi doing?

Newborn
Newborn
Andrw2121

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 7:33 pm

Hey!!!

Kodi is great! He is now fully transitioned off of his egg/carrot diet and is now on his second box of THK Force. He has had consistent, firm BM's and is back to his old self.

We just scheduled his appt to get him neutered this Friday so fingers crossed everything goes well.

Thanks again for everyone's help and support =)
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 7:59 pm

That is great news!

Newborn
Newborn
Andrw2121

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 8:10 pm

Hi,

Just wanted to let everyone know Kodi's surgery went well and he's fully recovered!!!

We also had him micro chipped when we had him neutered.... and I wanted to ask everyone who has had their dogs micro chipped before, can you feel the chip?

It's been 10 days since his surgery and the spot on his back where the micro chip went in is still somewhat raised and bumpy. I've never had a dog micro chipped before , but it was my understanding that you wouldn't be able to feel the chip.

We called the vet to ask if everything went ok with the surgery and they informed us that nothing was notated in his file about any issues. They said we could bring him back by for them to look at it if we wanted.

I then did some research online and have found mixed information about being able to feel the microchip or not.

It definitely seems to be getting smaller, but still after 10 days is still fees rather large.

I'm going to try and take Kodi back by the vet one day after work this week, but figured I'd start here first.

Hope everyone is well =)

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 8:16 pm

We can feel the microchip on all of our microchipped pets. You should start feeling it once the scar tissue has bult up around it, and no it doesn't hurt them Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 8:20 pm

I can't feel Kale's microchip, but I can feel Violets if I'm looking for it. I've been following this thread from the beginning, glad to hear that Kodi's tummy is liking THK Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inflamed Bowel Disease ???   Inflamed Bowel Disease ??? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Inflamed Bowel Disease ???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next