It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Rollerblading with your Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Rollerblading with your Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Rollerblading with your Husky?   Rollerblading with your Husky? EmptyFri May 11, 2012 6:16 pm

Alright guys, I purchased rollerblades and of course, the necessary knee pads. elbow pads and wrist pads (you can't trust those crazzzy huskies.). Now, I am just worried about making sure i approach this properly. Have any of you ever been rollerblading with your pups? What happened?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
MEEKA1216
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2012-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading with your Husky?   Rollerblading with your Husky? EmptyFri May 11, 2012 6:52 pm

I went Rollerblading with my lab once when i was younger . i will never attempt it again with any bigger dog my legs were scabbed for weeks because he saw a rabbit.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading with your Husky?   Rollerblading with your Husky? EmptyFri May 11, 2012 8:20 pm

fair enough
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading with your Husky?   Rollerblading with your Husky? EmptyFri May 11, 2012 8:29 pm

blueeyedghost Posted a pic of herself rollerblading with her husky. Might PM her and ask about it.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading with your Husky?   Rollerblading with your Husky? EmptyFri May 11, 2012 8:35 pm

+1 iceblulady.

Meredith(blueeyedghost) would definitely be able to offer some help with that one!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading with your Husky?   Rollerblading with your Husky? EmptyFri May 11, 2012 10:28 pm

Catching up on this, yes I will be glad to help you. I got my start probably close to 20 years ago with our lab mix, and decided to try it again a couple months ago with Ghost. The pads are great, but honestly the most important thing to have is a helmet. Also, you need a good pulling harness at the very least. We don't have any joring system yet, but I do plan on getting one eventually since I know Ghost really enjoys it.

First and foremost, you need to be comfortable on skates. Go out and get some good practice on them before you take Delilah out (wait til Cato is 10-12 months before doing it with him), and then start slow with her. I started with her and have been teaching her commands such as woah and directional cues, and we have worked very heavily to teach "on by". Keep your eyes open for critters, that's the only time I have a problem with Ghost. Also, make sure your on a smooth street, ours is pretty rough and it makes it a little more difficult. If you have any more questions I'll be happy to answer them.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Rollerblading with your Husky? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading with your Husky?   Rollerblading with your Husky? EmptyFri May 11, 2012 10:30 pm

Thanks a bunch Meredith. We are gonna try it out tomorrow. Smile
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading with your Husky?   Rollerblading with your Husky? EmptyFri May 11, 2012 10:41 pm

You're very welcome! Good luck!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Rollerblading with your Husky? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading with your Husky?   Rollerblading with your Husky? EmptySat May 12, 2012 2:08 am

mheath0429 wrote:
Alright guys, I purchased rollerblades and of course, the necessary knee pads. elbow pads and wrist pads (you can't trust those crazzzy huskies.).

I hope your not a beginner your headed for big trouble getting involved with the dog(s) if you don't have the needed skills for rollerblading.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading with your Husky?   Rollerblading with your Husky? EmptySat May 12, 2012 2:21 am

Quote :
First and foremost, you need to be comfortable on skates. Go out and get some good practice on them before you take Delilah out (wait til Cato is 10-12 months before doing it with him), and then start slow with her. I started with her and have been teaching her commands such as woah and directional cues, and we have worked very heavily to teach "on by". Keep your eyes open for critters, that's the only time I have a problem with Ghost. Also, make sure your on a smooth street, ours is pretty rough and it makes it a little more difficult. If you have any more questions I'll be happy to answer them.

As somebody who is very active on skates in the winter and in the summer I don't think I could have said this any better,

The only thing I would add is to really enforce the time they are allowed to pull and heel.

I don't know how many dogs are like Tika, but if she sees another mutt running around her first and last thought is we need to do everything in our power to meet and play with said mutt.

It's during these times, like Meredith said, we like to work on yip yip yips!!! and on bys!!!! It might just be mine but forward motion is HUGE.... Taking it away from her or slowing down in the slightest is like a punishment.

So when she isn't allowed to pull, or Joring, I stop all motion until she is heeling. It's a big thing and has worked thus far on foot, bike, and skate.

All other time a couple of YIP YIP YIPs gets her running to the hills. You just need to get across when it's time to stop, its time to stop somehow.

Best of luck and ENJOY the fun Smile

~Chris~

Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading with your Husky?   Rollerblading with your Husky? EmptySat May 12, 2012 3:03 pm

have fun, and good luck. You are more brave then me. I can't Rollerblade at all. Have maggie attached me that would kill me. I can ice skate but Rollerblade? nope
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading with your Husky?   Rollerblading with your Husky? EmptySat May 12, 2012 4:26 pm

Well, the skating is no problem I have been rollerblading for a long time. I just figured that if I was gonna do this, I needed some serious rollerblades. And I might be one of the luckiest husky-moms on here because Delilah really isn't a puller unless there is a human coming. At that point, she wants to go lick their faces off. I tried it with her today. So far so good. We didn't go too long, I didn't want her getting too confident, but we went around the block. She seemed to enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading with your Husky?   Rollerblading with your Husky? EmptySat May 12, 2012 8:28 pm

Quote :
And I might be one of the luckiest husky-moms on here because Delilah really isn't a puller unless there is a human coming

You really do sound lucky Smile I thought I had a good one ^^.

Depending on your comfort level, pulling isn't a bad thing though. It can be ALOT of fun if you get them to start Joring with you. I would start slow if you want to do it, but if you can get them into that frame of mind and still listen to you it's amazing!

I think we all see the change in our dogs when they get to run, it's like a whole other level of enjoyment for them. Tika is pretty low energy, she heels more then she pulls me, but when she gets out in front and I let her pull it's like her instincts take over and every now and again I get to see this looks (back over her shoulder to check on me) that just tells me how much fun she is having.

And when she comes home and DROPS on the floor and sleeps for 10 hours I'm all the more happy too Smile.

Quote :
I needed some serious rollerblades

sounds like you just got a new pair, but putting this out there for anyone who is thinking about it and still in need.

Can I recommend K2 blades ??? K2 is a very different brand. Your going to pay more for them but it's well worth the extra money if your actually going to blade. They use a soft boot instead of hards, and instead just brace your foot in places for support.

The boot itself also has a type of "Memory foam" that molds around your foot as you blade. it's as close as a custom rollerblade your going to get without shelling out a massive amount of money.

The best way to describe it is your blading in Airwalks, Vans, or Converse. It's just comfortable but still stable enough to power on rough roads (something we have all too much of in Quebec.).

I can take some shots of my Mach 100s if you want.... but it's nothing you can't find online.

Tika and Myself skating by the house.
Rollerblading with your Husky? Tika_b10

Again it's all about having fun Smile and there just something so great about letting them run full speed Smile

~Chris~

ETA - one thing I forgot. Check the pads after every session. Biking / blading / running all run the risk of pad tears or breaks. You don't want those to happen as it will shelf your pup for a bit. just make sure they are ok.

We had a Dew claw break on a hike today....... So much blood for such a little break. Took her home and cut it off and wrapped it until it stopped bleeding. try not to overwork them if you can help it Smile.
Back to top Go down
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

Male Join date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading with your Husky?   Rollerblading with your Husky? EmptySun May 13, 2012 2:22 am

I would be scared to skate with a dog haha I can see myself being dragged now lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading with your Husky?   Rollerblading with your Husky? Empty

Back to top Go down

Rollerblading with your Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1