It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky Markings?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

Male Join date : 2012-03-28

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 4:08 pm

Someone recently asked me if there was a way to know if a husky puppy would keep their markings as they got older. I've seen them keep them, markings get bigger, and lose them. So I told her that I'd ask some people that might know. Pss its you guys haha. So whatchu got for me.. lol
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 5:00 pm

I am only know that people I have ran into at the dog park and other places who have older huskies. They told me that with age alot of Huskies lose the masks.
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 5:04 pm

i would say way more often than not, the mask of a husky will change within the first year or so. keeonah had really big raccoon rings that were dark, and they are starting fade at just 7 months old
Back to top Go down
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 5:25 pm

Yah in my experience the markings usually fade a little but my cousin's husky's markings got darker so idk maybe it's just random.
Back to top Go down
artoaky
Teenager
Teenager
artoaky

Male Join date : 2012-02-15

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 5:27 pm

My sister was afraid that Luna's markings would go but they are still there at 1 year 2 months.

3 Months old the 1st day we met
Husky Markings? 2011-012

1 year 1 month.
Husky Markings? Imag0215
Back to top Go down
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 5:37 pm

They did get smaller it looks like. Maybe I should tell her that if she wants a husky that will always have vivid markings she should get a puppy or rescue that has bigger markings to compensate for fading.

On a side note I have educated her fully on the breed so she isn't just in it for their beauty. She is really active. Like 5 miles in the morning and 3 miles at night active lol and she wants a running partner/pet.
Back to top Go down
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 5:43 pm

By the way luna is beautiful. She looks so intelligent.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 5:45 pm

I have only seen the eye masks fade over time. MOST forhead details, freckles or lines down their nose will stay. I would be curious to hear if anyone else has witnessed otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 6:47 pm

I believe all Siberian's masks change some as the age. Some lose their masks, some gain/lose goggles. Some develop darker markings, some lighter. Some even change colors all together!

Husky Markings? Dscn7018
This is Bella at about 10-11 weeks.

These are her more recently:
Husky Markings? Dscn8113
Husky Markings? Img_0410

She lost her goggles and is now going brown ones. She also lost the stripe on her forehead, she's going gray on the top of her head (you can see the faint outline of two gray stripes right under her ears)

Husky Markings? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 7:32 pm

malamute's are the same way, it is hard to tell...I knew her nose markings wouldn't but her eye ones went away

puppy
Husky Markings? 76513_10150125640054616_542939615_7905862_229186_n

Husky Markings? 307773_10150527599929616_542939615_11701296_267814146_n
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 9:46 pm

Most, but not all, masks open up as they age but individuals will vary immensely and the changes can happen over the course of their life although most probably settle within a few years. Most sibes that I've seen with a full, thick black mask will have completely lost the under eye markings within 5-6 years time. My boy is 6.5 years old and his mask continues to open as he ages, the black around his eyes has been slowly fading for as long as we've had him and even his coat has changed from black/white to dilute black/white. So even rescuing an adult doesn't guarantee that the color and markings will last, although the markings and color should not be the primary reason for picking a particular dog anyway.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 10:34 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Most, but not all, masks open up as they age but individuals will vary immensely and the changes can happen over the course of their life although most probably settle within a few years. Most sibes that I've seen with a full, thick black mask will have completely lost the under eye markings within 5-6 years time.

Exactly what happened to Mya

About 10 weeks old

Husky Markings? Maya5-06pics0015-2

At about 6 months old or so

Husky Markings? CIMG0006

Year and 1/2

Husky Markings? CIMG0615

I want to say 3 years old..

Husky Markings? CIMG1743

Mya now (6 years old)

Husky Markings? DSC_0875

Husky Markings? DSC_0441
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 10:44 pm

Wow! Mya doesn't look like the same dog!
Back to top Go down
artoaky
Teenager
Teenager
artoaky

Male Join date : 2012-02-15

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 10:50 pm

mya looks halarious in that last picture! haha
Back to top Go down
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 10:53 pm

Wow Mya is gorgeous, I love the 6 month old picture
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 11:11 pm

They definitely fade quite a bit

Embry:

8 weeks
Husky Markings? 64882_1425602492154_1595520224_31126714_3883573_n

4 months
Husky Markings? 319513_2053349785444_1595520224_31954767_1630846477_n

2.5years
Husky Markings? 577417_3037953159913_1595520224_44333924_1645850331_n
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptyTue May 01, 2012 11:18 am

artoaky wrote:
mya looks halarious in that last picture! haha

She's like gimme the hose, gimme, gimme, gimme!!! Razz
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptyTue May 01, 2012 11:26 am

Love the changes in Mya over the years --- Months.....

She is a beautiful.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptyTue May 01, 2012 12:39 pm

Yeah I knew they would change and fade but Mya just blew my mind Razz

Thanks Melissa!

~Chris~

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptyTue May 01, 2012 9:37 pm

ljelgin wrote:
Love the changes in Mya over the years --- Months.....

She is a beautiful.

Thanks Very Happy Honestly, her changes kinda freaked me out too when I started pulling up pics. My baby is all grown up Sad
Back to top Go down
cmcelroy
Newborn
Newborn
cmcelroy

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptyThu May 03, 2012 12:24 pm

you can see its her though still she has that little line that keeps her four head marking from being a straight line that goes down !

shes gorgeous.

now im kina concerned my mya will change,
ill still love her so much.

but i just look at her and im facinated
i might be biased
but i think i have the cutest baby in the world !
Smile
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptyThu May 03, 2012 12:47 pm

WOW, Melissa, Mya's went away completely!!!

I got both of mine over 6 months old, so I couldn't tell you about masks. Kya's has changed A LITTLE, but nothing drastic. I really hope Rio doesn't loose hers. I love her "eye linger" as my niece calls it.
Back to top Go down
garcia81
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2012-05-05

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptySat May 05, 2012 4:07 pm

is there anyway i can tell if my puppy is a full husky. he has a black face with a white patch above his nose and now he has a white mask forming on his face and he has a curly tail. i was thinking he wasnt a full breed husky help
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptySat May 05, 2012 4:26 pm

Do you have a picture to share with us ? Smile
Back to top Go down
garcia81
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2012-05-05

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? EmptySat May 05, 2012 4:37 pm

i am having trouble uploading picture. how do you get it onto the profile lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Husky Markings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Markings?   Husky Markings? Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky Markings?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next