It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Stubborn dog refuse to walk

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
smurfzzz
Newborn
Newborn

Stubborn dog refuse to walk Empty
PostSubject: Stubborn dog refuse to walk   Stubborn dog refuse to walk EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 4:54 am

What to do when the husky refuse to walk if you do not go her way, meaning froze on the ground no matter how you tug at the collar unless you agree to the direction she wants to go?

This is a new problem that happens recently, and it is getting worse. Last time, just have to tug her hard and she will bug, but not now, getting more stubborn
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn dog refuse to walk   Stubborn dog refuse to walk EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 9:24 am

How old is she?
Back to top Go down
Fenrir
Puppy
Puppy
Fenrir

Male Join date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn dog refuse to walk   Stubborn dog refuse to walk EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 9:49 am

Don't budge. If I had to, I'd pick her up and carry her my way.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn dog refuse to walk   Stubborn dog refuse to walk EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:57 am

I read your other post in regards to the weight problem and didn't realize she was refusing to walk at all. What is her weight I forgot to ask in my previous post.

First question then is have you taken her to the vet for a complete exam? For a Husky to refuse to walk is rare and to me I'd say she is in obvious distress/pain.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn dog refuse to walk   Stubborn dog refuse to walk EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 2:25 pm

You seem to be having a few problems since like Len said, I read on your other thread that the dog is overweight and has an artificial bone due to a previous fracture, and also that the choke chain broke. Are these all the same husky, or do you have several dogs?

I agree with Len, it sounds like she is in pain so you should take her to the vet and see what can be done to help her. Also, if she is overweight it will be adding extra stress to her joints, and getting on top of the weight issue might help with the walking (just as walking will help with the weight ... kind of like a positive circle).

What with the tugging referred to in the OP on this thread, and the broken choke chain mentioned in another thread, it sounds like your walks are rather combative. As well as going to the vet, I would suggest a positive training regimen in which as far as possible you set the dog up for success and ignore failures. You might like to look into NILIF (nothing in life is free) which involves the dog doing something (like come, sit, stay etc) to get rewards such as food. If you are going to use treats as a reward, obviously you will have to reduce the amount of food at mealtimes so as not to overfeed, but affection, toys and games can all be rewards as well.

If you had a puppy or new dog I would say it is testing its boundaries and seeing if it can make you go the other way. In which case I would suggest either waiting patiently and rewarding the dog when it finally moves in your direction, or else making yourself more interesting to the dog (jumping about and waving arms about if necessary) to make it want to go with you. But it sounds like there is a lot more going on here, and I think a trip to the vet and dealing with the weight problem are both important.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
smurfzzz
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn dog refuse to walk   Stubborn dog refuse to walk EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:57 pm

Sorry, my bad for posting so many issues at a time.

I have 3 huskies, 1 of them is a new foster dog that came in last weekend.

The dog mention in this case is 8 or 9 years old senior dog, with joints issue. Yes, that is the overweight husky that I also mention in another thread. If I wasnt walking 2 - 3 dogs at a time and if she wasnt close to 30kg, I would have carry her. So now, I end up walking her separately with the other 2 dogs so that I can handle her, it's a temporary alternative.

She loves to walk, but sometimes she froze on the ground because she insist on going up the grass patch or walk another direction. If i losen the leash, she will move in her own directions, but she definitely not the puller because of her weight and injury.

Vet has given her a clean bill of health. Other than needing to loose weight, she generally fine.

As for the choker, it was the other dog that broke it, not this old lady Smile
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn dog refuse to walk   Stubborn dog refuse to walk EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 1:48 am

That makes more sense then. Glad she got a clean bill of health from the vet. So I'm assuming she's not moving because something else is interesting to her, and not because she's in pain. There are several options:
- give her more leeway to stop and sniff or explore if you have the time since she'll enjoy the walks more then.
- teach a 'let's go' command by saying it and setting off to walk in the direction you want to go; reward her when she comes with you (with praise, affection, a toy, or part of her daily food allowance, whatever works). 'Let's go' means that she has to set off with you right away, but in the beginning (while teaching it) you might have to allow a bit more time, and then gradually reduce the time allowed
- try to make yourself and that direction more interesting to her by jumping, hopping, waving your arms about or running. You look like an idiot doing this but it works really well for some dogs.
- running in general might help (if she's able) as it can be more fun than walking
- stand and wait calmly until she agrees to go your way. Ignore her until she begins to move with you. Over time she'll learn that she doesn't get to go the other way.
- try a longer leash that allows her to get up the grass patch without you having to leave the path.

It sounds like this is a new behaviour so the other thing is to ask yourself what has changed or what was the start of it, as that might give you more ideas.

Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
gladahmae
Teenager
Teenager
gladahmae

Female Join date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn dog refuse to walk   Stubborn dog refuse to walk EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 9:37 am

Our older lab (he's almost 9) does this when we are leaving and he doesn't want to go out to the kennel. I have found that if I pull on his collar a bit with one hand, and poke at his hips with my other hand, he'll move, and once I get him moving it's not hard to keep him going.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn dog refuse to walk   Stubborn dog refuse to walk Empty

Back to top Go down

Stubborn dog refuse to walk

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1