It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Human Foods to avoid...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

Human Foods to avoid... Empty
PostSubject: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 9:33 pm

I am reading "Siberian Husky smart owners guide" and came across this page and thought to share.

Human Foods to avoid... 33786f6f

I know there has been mentions of what foods are bad for dogs but I didn't know if there was a thread dedicated for it. Feel free to add more foods to the list, I know apple seeds are bad, pretty much want to avoid any seeds I think.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 9:40 pm

That list is wrong, or at the very least, misleading. We HAVE had this discussion before. I'll try and dig up the thread, but to recap:

Eggs, raw: HEALTHY TO FEED-- While eggwhites contain an enzyme that suppresses biotin, egg YOLKS contain enough biotin to counteract this effect. Thus, feeding WHOLE raw egg is a perfectly healthy supplement to your pet's diet.

Meat, raw: HEALTHY-- As almost anyone here will tell you, raw meat is perfectly safe to feed your dog. Their bodies are equipped to digest and process much larger amounts of salmonella and ecoli than ours. Thus, unless it's rotting or putrid meat, human-grade raw meat or even fat trimmings are healthy and safe to feed.

I'm sure Val will be along soon to help me here.

ETA: Here's the raw egg thread: Raw Egg: To Feed or Not To Feed?

Human Foods to avoid... Hailey10
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 9:57 pm

Ya not sure why meat is on there. Humans arent supose to eat raw eggs... But I do anyway lol
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 1:28 am

There was a lot of feelings about raw eggs in there lol
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 2:08 am

Koda wrote:
I'm sure Val will be along soon to help me here.

Help? Looks like you've got it covered.

I don't like that baby food is on the list, again it's misleading. Lots of different baby foods are safe for dogs and a number of homemade dog treat recipes include baby food. As with anything, it's important to read the label to know exactly what's in it but baby food in general I wouldn't put on a 'bad foods for dog's list.

Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

Female Join date : 2012-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 8:00 am

No wonder the average Joe looks at me like I've grown a second head when I mention I'm starting my dog on a raw diet. Look at all the misleading information there is out there in actual books!
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 8:13 am

Yea, well considering all that on tv is terrible foods and people think pedigree, Iams, science diet are all great foods... Is there any actual good dog foods advertised?
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 10:08 am

brady.law wrote:
LOL. That thread was fun. I don't like drama and I don't like people who don't see reason. Reason doesn't mean agreeing with me. It means recognizing the validity of another person's argument. The OP in that thread had a real issue doing that.

And as for advertising good foods.... personally, I don't think any of the high-quality foods advertise. I find that odd, but they seem to do well enough as companies without the need to advertise... so good for them!

Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 10:33 am

Looks like I'm good to go with my cut up pizza bits and string cheese for them.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 am

brady.law wrote:

How did I miss that egg discussion last year???? Human Foods to avoid... 1347041234
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 10:52 am

LOL. That thread made me want to strangle someone.

Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 11:55 am

I have never heard that avocados are bad for them. Mine get a sliver every now and then. I think that guide was foolishly written.
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 12:29 pm

Koda wrote:

And as for advertising good foods.... personally, I don't think any of the high-quality foods advertise. I find that odd, but they seem to do well enough as companies without the need to advertise... so good for them!

Maybe the companies who produce the high-quality food spend their money on the ingredients and production of said food instead of advertising and rely on word of mouth by their customers?
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 12:35 pm

I think some foods are more theory/personal preference.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 1:19 pm

brady.law wrote:
. Humans arent supose to eat raw eggs... But I do anyway lol

Yummmmm cookie dough....... only time you catch me eating a raw egg

and i think we do have a thread somewhere here on food to feed/not feed

Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 1:56 pm

I mean everyone is always like "oh you will get salmonilla!!" I'm like do you even know what it is or does...? "...no..." I had to google it, I don't even remember what happens is you get salmonilla... I haven't even heard of anyone I know ever getting it, but everyone always talks about it...
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 1:57 pm

Ps- I'm into fitness and know people who drink 20 raw eggs a day for years and have never had an issue.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 2:02 pm

salmonilla, you get severe diarrhea, fever, or abdominal cramps. It takes 5-7 days to go away. It usually doesn't need treatment, the more severe cases do. almonella are usually transmitted to humans by eating foods contaminated with animal feces. Cooking mostly gets rid of the bacteria. I am going to school for xray tech but have worked in the ER. I can't even tell you how many cases are from people eating raw eggs. Mostly it is kids eating cookie dough, I kid you not!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 2:04 pm

I used to be an athlete as well. Tri athlete. I rather boil my egg to be on the safe side. lol

for dogs it is fine!

Last edited by norbreedslove on Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 2:06 pm

I guess I have a salmonilla angel watching after me. Lol
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 2:07 pm

I only drink pasturized egg whites now though
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 2:11 pm

norbreedslove wrote:
Mostly it is kids eating cookie dough, I kid you not!

i don't care i can't give it up!!! lol!
good thing i dont bake much!!!!

Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 2:17 pm

Cookie dough is actually worth explosive diarreah and a possible hospital visit. Haha
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 2:18 pm

dude I love cookie dough too, It sucks. I never have been sick off it. Though the facts are out there! lol
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 2:18 pm

brady.law wrote:
Cookie dough is actually worth explosive diarreah and a possible hospital visit. Haha

agreed lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Human Foods to avoid...   Human Foods to avoid... Empty

Back to top Go down

Human Foods to avoid...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next