It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

spaying and possible complication??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sierra's owners
Newborn
Newborn
Sierra's owners

Female Join date : 2012-03-21

spaying  and possible complication?? Empty
PostSubject: spaying and possible complication??   spaying  and possible complication?? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 4:02 pm

Hey gang,

So I found the thread about what to expect post-op. I have been cautioned as to be very particular about who spays my girl. I was told that a vet could really mess up a girl with this surgery....causing incontinence issues.

We asked our vet about this and she stated that girls can have incontinence issues but it is more due to a lack of hormones as they get older and therefore less control of the sphincter.

1. Has anyone heard of this?

2. Anyone had any issues with this?

3. What age did you get your girl spayed?

Thanks for all of your help. She is our little girl and we are being extra cautious with everything (1st time parents) Smile

Thanks,
Sonora
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: spaying and possible complication??   spaying  and possible complication?? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 4:11 pm

I got my girl spayed when she was around 5 months old (this was 7 years ago). We had zero complications with it and healed very nicely. There are risk's with every surgery, but they are minimal. There are a lot more terrible things that could happen to you're girl if you don't get her spayed. I had my male pup neutered 3 weeks ago and they also did a GI surgery on him (which they told me was like a female spay, because they opened him up the same way) and he did absolutely wonderful! The stitches are the dissolving kind and it healed beautifully. He has a scar from it, but over time it is hardly noticeable (the fur grows over it anyway). Good luck with getting you're girl spayed, I'm sure she will be just fine! Smile
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: spaying and possible complication??   spaying  and possible complication?? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 4:27 pm

Spay incontinence from my understanding is more common in dogs that get spayed earlier in their lives.

I don't have a problem with it because Bella is still intact. She will be getting spayed within the next year. She was just cleared to be able to be spayed but she has to have special monitoring because she has a heart problem.

Most (all?) vets advocate spaying before the first season (around 6 months for the spay).

spaying  and possible complication?? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: spaying and possible complication??   spaying  and possible complication?? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 4:35 pm

I'd agree with Ceara. Before the first heat and around 5-6 months is about right to me. You decrease the risk of cancer in your dog by spaying before or as close to the first heat as possible.

spaying  and possible complication?? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: spaying and possible complication??   spaying  and possible complication?? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 5:06 pm

I got Kya fixed right after her first heat. I agree with the two previous posts. I have normally gotten ALL dogs (and cats) spayed or neutered at or around 6 months. Kya was late because we got her at 6 months and she needed all of her shots first. Rio will be late as well because she is already 8 months old.

I have HEARD of the incontinience issue, but I have never experienced it. Kya was great after the surgery. She was kinda mad at me and ignored me for the first few days, but she healed nicely and can't even tell that she has a scar. Smile
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: spaying and possible complication??   spaying  and possible complication?? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 5:32 pm

Niraya wrote:
Spay incontinence from my understanding is more common in dogs that get spayed earlier in their lives.

I had never heard of the incontinence in female dogs after being spayed.

Our previous dog was female we had her spayed very early at about 5-6 months old.

She did great until she was about 13 years then she started have incontinence problems until she passed away at a out 16 years of age.

Buster( know the name doesn 't fit a femaie) was a large dog half boxer and half GSD.

Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: spaying and possible complication??   spaying  and possible complication?? EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 6:29 pm

Spay incontinence is usually found/most common in dogs that are spayed at like 8-10 weeks old. Shelters who get litters of puppies use this practice and will spay/neuter as soon/early as possible. I forget the proper term.

I also found this while trying to locate the proper term:

Myth #4: It will make a bitch incontinent and she will have more problems with her vulva than normal.

Fact: Spay incontinence is another multifactorial problem like obesity. No one is really certain why some bitches develop incontinence. It is probably related to decreasing estrogen levels and their influence on urethral sphincter tone. Some bitches develop it very soon after surgery, others may take years to develop the problem, some never have it whether they are spayed early or late. It occurs in bitches spayed early and late. Bitches spayed early on do have a more infantile vulva than bitches spayed at an older age. Occasionally, this can present a problem in an obese bitch where a fold of skin and fat drops over the vulva and causes dermatitis. Usually this condition can be resolved with weight loss. In instances where weight loss isn’t enough or isn’t feasible, the fold can be removed surgically. The procedure is similar to the removal of excessive facial or nasal folds in Pekingese when the folds are so large that they rub on the dog’s corneas.

From the Newfoundland club of America

http://www.ncanewfs.org/newfs/pages/earlysn.html

spaying  and possible complication?? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: spaying and possible complication??   spaying  and possible complication?? EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 12:05 am

Violet my Doxie has incontinence issues. We adopted her when she was a year to a year and a half from a local shelter. She was spayed before we could bring her home, so she was and adult when she was spayed. She only dribbles when she is sleeping really heavy, but now that she is on medication (Proin) there have been zero accidents. I'd rather have incontinence issues that are easily treatable than mammary cancer.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Sierra's owners
Newborn
Newborn
Sierra's owners

Female Join date : 2012-03-21

PostSubject: Re: spaying and possible complication??   spaying  and possible complication?? EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 5:16 am

Thanks to everyone. I had never heard of spaying incontinence but both my husband and I had male dogs as kids...so that obviously didn't apply to our childhood dogs. All of the information is very helpful.

I know we will get her spayed....just a matter of getting all of the facts and doing our research! Wink
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: spaying and possible complication??   spaying  and possible complication?? EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 12:14 am

Our girl Kitty has spay incontinence. She was completely normal before the spay, but started dribbling urine about 2 or 3 weeks after the spay. Its doesn't happen all the time, it usually occurs about 10 minutes after she has gone to the bathroom. She was spayed at 6 months, however, she also underwent jaw surgery at the same time. She needed a second surgery to fix her upper jaw after a dog attack that occured prior to me getting her, and I didn't want to have her put under twice, so I had both surgeries done at the same time. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I know the jaw surgery took a while, and maybe due to the time she was under, the vet moved quickly for the spay and caused some sort of damage. The vet I went to was one of the vets I worked for as a vet assistant for three years, and he is a great guy. But things can go wrong, even for great vets. He felt really bad, and ran a whole bunch of tests for us free of charge, just to rule anything else out. He came to the conclusion that it was truly was spay related incontinence. We now have her on some natural incontinence medicine, and she hardly ever leaks. There is persription options if she would ever get worse. One of the dogs I had growing up was incontinent, not spay related, but having a "leaking dog" wasn't a big deal to me because I had grown up caring for one.

To make a long story short, yes it can occur, and while picking a good vet will help, mistakes can always occur. The benifits of the spay for me will always outweigh the risk of incontinence.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: spaying and possible complication??   spaying  and possible complication?? Empty

Back to top Go down

spaying and possible complication??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1