It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

"indestructible" harness...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

"indestructible" harness... Empty
PostSubject: "indestructible" harness...   "indestructible" harness... EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 5:04 pm

Yes, I know, ANOTHER question! Razz Razz Razz

I want to be able to tye Rio out in the backyard, even if just for 30 minutes, so that she can play with the other dogs while I am busy doing something. The problem I am having is that Rio is an escape artist.

I live in a pier and beam house. For those that don't know what that is, it's a house that does not have a concrete foundation. It has piers that house sits on. This means that the dogs can AND DO dig under the house and chill out under there. This has never been a big deal bc Kya is too big to fit inbetween the front beams and she has NO interest at all of digging out of the fences bc she likes under the house.

Rio on the other hand, ha ha. She will dig under and out of ANYTHING. She also likes to chew on harnesses, leashes, ropes, collars, etc.

I know that I can use a thick cable tie out that she can't chew through, but the harness is the issue I'm running into. I WILL NOT put a tie out on my dogs collar (my niece/sister's dog panicked once and hung itself, leaving my neice to find her tiny grey hound hanging from the tie out bc it started raining and she panicked) but I have tied them out using harnesses.

Has anyone found a harness that is durable, or does/did anyone have this issue and found a way to stop it.

My fear is that if Rio gets out bc I left her alone, Kya will figure out how to follow and neither dog will be safe.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: "indestructible" harness...   "indestructible" harness... EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 10:27 pm

Good luck, Cali has broke out of her puppia harness twice.
first time she did it and it was intact- even still snapped by the buckle, how i dunno. the 2nd time she broke the back strap that goes around the chest behind the front legs
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: "indestructible" harness...   "indestructible" harness... EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 1:10 am

I would say ruff wear but thats $$$ you don't want to be out if she does eat it! I just am not a fan of tie outs unless used camping when we have an eye on them at all times.

Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: "indestructible" harness...   "indestructible" harness... EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 11:03 am

I am not normally a fan either, but I dont know what else to do to let her be outside without fear of her escaping lol.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: "indestructible" harness...   "indestructible" harness... EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 2:40 pm

too bad your far away. We offer a service to husky proof your yard. We put bricks around the house. It has worked for Maggie. and other northern breeds.

http://www.huskycamp.com/security.htm is what I do for the fences and gates. Most people are not comfortable with hot wire so I do the rolling pin method.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: "indestructible" harness...   "indestructible" harness... EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 2:48 pm

norbreedslove wrote:
too bad your far away. We offer a service to husky proof your yard. We put bricks around the house. It has worked for Maggie. and other northern breeds.

We have bricks around the fence where Blaze has tried digging out..

If we keep it up our entire fence are will be bricked. LOL
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: "indestructible" harness...   "indestructible" harness... EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 2:58 pm

I should show you one of my clients house!! we have some in the major holes in the dog yard. Maggie isn't allowed to dig but there! The rolling pin works well for jumping, I prefer hot wire but not many people are okay with that.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: "indestructible" harness...   "indestructible" harness... EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 3:13 pm

norbreedslove wrote:

We have paving stones, bricks, wire into the underground, etc and Kya has moved or dug UNDER all of them. I have tried everything I can think of. lol.

The wire she pushed until it is bent enough for her to dig it out. She can do this in a matter of minutes, so I don't even want to test out what Rio can do.
Back to top Go down
Ant&Lisa
Newborn
Newborn
Ant&Lisa

Male Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: "indestructible" harness...   "indestructible" harness... EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 3:55 pm

Hi folks..
As far as harnesses go, nanook since being a pup has gone through four, well he's on his forth.
He just pulled them apart at the seams, so we got a ezy dog harness..
http://www.ezydog.com/
"indestructible" harness... Ezydog_harness_green__35323_zoom

He's go the matching collar too.. Very Happy

But so far for everyday use and not a load of money its fine..very well made, and really strong catches.
and you also get a seat belt attachment for in the car...

we have the shock absorbing lead (or leash for you lot over the pond) pirat

and another thing is it has a decent padded chest plate, so not to hurt them..

hope this helps...
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: "indestructible" harness...   "indestructible" harness... EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 9:01 pm

No such thing as indestructible, however, if you find a dog that can slip this harness I'll be most impressed. It's designed for rapelling and other various rock-climbing needs. I've looked in to it in case the Appadog does some slot canyons/arches with us later this year. The back two loops go over the back legs, there's no way to back out of this harness. I don't know how comfortable it would be for all day use though...

Ruffwear Doubleback Harness
"indestructible" harness... DBHarness_RgtLegL_Zoom

(but just imagine Appa going down this ...)
"indestructible" harness... Corona-Arch-Rappel-794091

Last edited by rileyflorence on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: "indestructible" harness...   "indestructible" harness... EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 11:25 pm

Riley, you're making me want to go back to Arches with those pictures. We did the Delicate Arch hike in June, and Aaron has said if he'd had the ring on him (it was tucked away in the car) he would have proposed there.

That's a hell of a harness though, and if we ever get a chance to do that kind of stuff I'd definitely look into getting it.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

"indestructible" harness... 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: "indestructible" harness...   "indestructible" harness... EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 1:16 pm

Im going to look into the ruff wear.

I know this could be a dumb question but....is rhis something I may never break her of doing?
Back to top Go down
gladahmae
Teenager
Teenager
gladahmae

Female Join date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: "indestructible" harness...   "indestructible" harness... EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 1:54 pm

I'd say that yes, this is something she may not grow out of, unless you can provide a more appleaing option. (Yes, I'm sure it IS possible to train her out of it, but I'm thinking realisticaly, she'll probably continue.) Our 9yo lab, to this day, LOVES to dig and lay/hide under porches. He would dig out 1ft diameter rocks at my brother in law's house to get under their porch. Here, we have a set of temporary steps going out our patio door to the fenced part of the yard, and he's already started digging under those. Of course, we jokingly call him our "cave dog" since he will lie under the foot rest of a recliner if it's up, or behind the recliner in the corner, or under the stairs, or behind the curtains. He just likes dark places.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "indestructible" harness...   "indestructible" harness... Empty

Back to top Go down

"indestructible" harness...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1