It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Who wants to talk about poop?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

Female Join date : 2012-01-19

Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who wants to talk about poop?!   Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 12:28 pm

River

2years of age
39lbs is when we first got him (right before christmas) and i think hes gained 5-10 lbs
1.5-2 cups kibble 1 raw egg once a day
poops once a day

Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Who wants to talk about poop?!   Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 12:38 pm

Dakota - 3 years old
- ~40 lbs (it fluctuates a couple either way)
- 2 cups TOTW/day
- 2 or 3 times per day

Demon - 3 years old
- ~ 60 lbs (been trying to get him to gain about 5 lbs....no luck)
- 2 to 21/4 cups TOTW/day
- 2 or 3 times per day
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Who wants to talk about poop?!   Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 1:38 pm

Sierra- 9yrs
46lbs
1.5 cups a day (mix of low cal welness, TOTW, and Nature domain)
my guess is 2x's a day

Jack-4yrs
56lbs
2 cups a day (mix of TOTW and Nature domain)
my guess is 2x's a day

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Who wants to talk about poop?!   Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

SabakaMom wrote:
Interesting topic and interesting dogs, these huskies.
I did a little web search and found statement to be made (or close to it) in 4-5 different places:

"Dogs, on average, need about 25 calories per pound of body weight per day to maintain their current weight. Small active dogs, less than 20 lbs. in weight, can use up to 40 calories per pound per day. Large dogs, over 100 lbs., can use as little as 15 calories per pound per day. "

Assuming our huskies have not reached the 100 lb mark and they require less than most dogs their size, we might assume we should be feeding 20 calories per pound. For Sabaka's 50 lbs, that's 1000 calories per day! Our 2.5 cups would be very close to 1000 calories. But he is still very young and active.

Val and Claudia are feeding food with a much higher caloric content per cup than I am....GL has nearly 500 cal per cup. I'm guessing this 20 cal per lb works for a younger husky and then could be reduced with age and / or less activity?

Honestly, I don't even look at calories because of how many factors will affect how many an individual dog will need or be able to utilize from a given food. Some of the things that will affect it include age, activity level, metabolism, health, as well as one that a lot of people overlook which is food quality and digestibility. Feeding 500 calories worth of one food such as TOTW can be totally different from feeding 500 calories of another food like Ziwipeak. The quality of the food and digestibility are totally different and the average dog will be able to much better and more efficiently utilize the calories in ZP versus those in TOTW, just as an example...so of those 500 calories fed, do you really know how many the dog uses versus sends right back out the opposite end?

cmanding wrote:
THK Zeal = 437 cal/cup
Orijen 6 Fish = 480 cal/cup
Orijen Senior = 390 cal/cup

That would mean Storm, almost 7 years old, 74 lbs, consumes only 621 cal in food a day, plus a couple of treats.

Ginger consumtes 508 cal in food a day plus a couple of treats - she's 51 lbs, about 5 years old.

Even if i rounded up to compensate for treats, the calories per pound for Ginger and Storm, Storm gets less than 9 calories per lb!

Wait, I thought Ginger ate the same amount as Dakota only substitute THK for GL? So how do you figure she consuming more calories? confused

Grandma Lucy's Artisan Chicken = 468 cal/cup
Orijen Adult = 460 cal/cup

Dakota eats 3/4 cup of GL (which equals 351 cal) + 1/4 cup of Orijen Adult (which equals 115 cal) so that comes out to 466 calories a day. A quick glance at all the treats he gets in a given day is another approximately 130 calories. So with treats that bumps up his average caloric intake to 596 cal/day, we'll round it up to 600 cal/day. And just for kicks that calculates out to 12 cal/lb for Dakota.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Who wants to talk about poop?!   Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 1:58 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
cmanding wrote:
THK Zeal = 437 cal/cup
Orijen 6 Fish = 480 cal/cup
Orijen Senior = 390 cal/cup

That would mean Storm, almost 7 years old, 74 lbs, consumes only 621 cal in food a day, plus a couple of treats.

Ginger consumtes 508 cal in food a day plus a couple of treats - she's 51 lbs, about 5 years old.

Even if i rounded up to compensate for treats, the calories per pound for Ginger and Storm, Storm gets less than 9 calories per lb!

Wait, I thought Ginger ate the same amount as Dakota only substitute THK for GL? So how do you figure she consuming more calories? confused

Dakota eats 3/4 cup of GL (which equals 351 cal) + 1/4 cup of Orijen Adult (which equals 115 cal) so that comes out to 466 calories a day. A quick glance at all the treats he gets in a given day is another approximately 130 calories. So with treats that bumps up his average caloric intake to 596 cal/day, we'll round it up to 600 cal/day. And just for kicks that calculates out to 12 cal/lb for Dakota.

Ginger actually gets 3/8c of Orijen - so slightly more than Dakota.

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Who wants to talk about poop?!   Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 2:01 pm

cmanding wrote:
Ginger actually gets 3/8c of Orijen - so slightly more than Dakota.

Okay, thanks for the clarification!

Huskyluv wrote:

I just realized the bag I'm feeding right now is GL Artisan pork which is 473 cal/cup. So at the moment he's getting 355 cal GL + 115 cal Orijen + 130 cal treats = 600 cal/day total intake...pretty close to the Chicken formula which we alternate with.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Who wants to talk about poop?!   Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 2:59 pm

Koda
A) 60 lbs
B) ~2cups/day TOTW + sprinkle of frozen green beans
C) 2x daily

Hailey
A) 45 lbs
B) 1 cup/day (maybe slightly over) TOTW+ sprinkle of frozen green beans
C) 2x daily

Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 Hailey10

Last edited by Koda on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Who wants to talk about poop?!   Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 3:15 pm

Ghost
A) 62 lbs
2) 2 cups a day, Orijen (though sometimes he only eats 1)
3 2 - 3 times
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Who wants to talk about poop?!   Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 3:53 pm

Kale (22 months)

a) 58.8 Ibs
b) (as of right now) 1 3/4 cup TOTW dry and 1/4 can Wellness Lamb and sweet potato; 1 1/2 scoop Nupro Silver, 2 fish oil caps.
c) 2 1/2 poops ( I consider the tiny ball turds midday half a poop Razz )
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Who wants to talk about poop?!   Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 4:07 pm

i wonder if going 2x's a day goes with most of us feeding 2x's a day...

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Who wants to talk about poop?!   Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 4:08 pm

jbealer wrote:
Generally... yes Smile

Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Who wants to talk about poop?!   Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 4:09 pm

jbealer wrote:

Maybe ... but when I first got Blaze he only ate once a day after his evening walk. but he still Pooped twice a day with each walk.

You know he seems to only poop when I walk him.. I have not be able to walk him since yesterday morning because of the heavy rain and he has not pooped since then.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Who wants to talk about poop?!   Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 4:16 pm

jbealer wrote:

This is what initially piqued my curiosity. Appa used to eat 3 times a day but poop consistently twice a day. He's recently started to only want to eat 2 times a day and he's pooping once or twice a day now. It's been like this for over a month now so I think it's his new routine.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Who wants to talk about poop?!   Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 4:17 pm

Tika
11 Months
1) 42 lbs
2) 1.75 cups/day
3) 2 (One on Morning walk, One on Evening walk. Both are right before she gets feed)

Like Adobo mine tends to self regulate and even if I tried to over feed her she just walks away. We've gone 2 days with her eating only a quater of a cup before too...

I hate it when she doesn't eat.

~Chris~

Last edited by Tika on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

PostSubject: Re: Who wants to talk about poop?!   Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 4:51 pm

Tika wrote:

I hate it when she doesn't eat.

~Chris~

Yup. Dakota will do this to me in the summer months. She's been notorious in the past for looking at food, looking at me then walking away. This will be the first summer on TOTW which they go crazy for, so we'll see if she's different this time.

Looking at what everyone's feeding their dogs (about the same weight as my Dakota) it feels like I'm over feeding her, but she's not in the least overweight. lol Go figure.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Who wants to talk about poop?!   Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 4:58 pm

Demon&Dakota wrote:
Looking at what everyone's feeding their dogs (about the same weight as my Dakota) it feels like I'm over feeding her, but she's not in the least overweight. lol Go figure.

wish i had that problem!

Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

PostSubject: Re: Who wants to talk about poop?!   Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 5:06 pm

Well she is still young... Smile
Back to top Go down
ArkansMom
Newborn
Newborn
ArkansMom

Female Join date : 2011-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Who wants to talk about poop?!   Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 4:16 pm

Arkan (1 year, 1 month)

a) 73 lbs
b) Whatevers on the raw menu for today and about 1 cup of Orijin
c)Twice a day like clockwork
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Who wants to talk about poop?!   Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 10:05 pm

Luka, 4 years

a) 43lbs
b) 16-20oz daily (raw food), I feed dry maybe once every 2 weeks, for that its 2 cups daily
c) Twice daily

Kitty, 2 years

a) 35lbs
b) 16-20oz daily (raw food) 2c daily if dry food
c) Twice daily
Back to top Go down
HuskyLuvver
Puppy
Puppy
HuskyLuvver

PostSubject: Re: Who wants to talk about poop?!   Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 11:07 am

Amber:
48lbs
1 can of blue buffalo wet per day
1-2 times per day
Back to top Go down
Fenrir
Puppy
Puppy
Fenrir

Male Join date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Who wants to talk about poop?!   Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 4:01 pm

Fenrir:
7 months old
42 lbs
Between 2-4 cups of food a day, depending on how much exercise he gets
2-3 times per day
Back to top Go down
Ksibe
Newborn
Newborn
Ksibe

Female Join date : 2012-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Who wants to talk about poop?!   Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 4:22 pm

Chloe (17 months)
50 lbs
1.5-2 cups per day
2 times a day
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Who wants to talk about poop?!   Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 EmptyThu May 03, 2012 10:25 pm

Balon 11 weeks

12.70 lbs
3 cups daily
4-5 times a day YIKES Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who wants to talk about poop?!   Who wants to talk about poop?! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Who wants to talk about poop?!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2