It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Drama from another owner...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

Drama from another owner... Empty
PostSubject: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 1:25 pm

affraid affraid
affraid affraid

So I met this owner, here is the conversation.

Her: My friend has a private Dog park next month we will be shutting it down for HUSKY owners only.
Me: I own a malamute is it okay if we come? They are close enough anyway. She is petite enough she can pass as a male husky.
Her: Well you can come (pointing at the other husky owners) You can't (pointing to me) malamutes are not friendly like huskies, and VERY aggressive.

At this point maggie was laying there and letting everyone pet her.

Me: Obviously you never did research malamute have a lot of the same characteristics as a husky. Other than I noticed they are a lot more calm.

Her: No I am a trainer, I know dogs that is how malamutes are

Me: confused other than me that is a spokes person for our malamute rescue and member of the malamute club and a member of the malamute assistance league. As well as a owner, that has a malamute with her CGC. hmmmm.

I seriously had to leave, I was going to hit someone.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 1:35 pm

Ok this "trainer" chic is a total moron! You should have told her that all of the meet up groups are for Huskies and MALS! Never heard of one that separates them. Hellllooo!!! Ugh! You did the right thing though. Just let it gooooo. Stupid people are not worth your energy!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Yea ive given up talking to other owners at dog parks, even northern breed owners; they are all idiots. The last northern breed owner asked me how I got Kale's coat so full and shine, I said fish oil caps, and she said that I was hurting him by giving him human fish oil... yet they just complimented his coat...? scratch O yes... I'm "harming" him. She also claimed to be a "husky expert" as well Drama from another owner... 1625187496 ... LOL I laughed in her face and walked away.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 2:15 pm

I've never had anyone say it to me but apparenlty when my mom would mention I had a husky, she was told on multiple occassions how aggressive they were and he should never be allowed around kids. Nevermind that Dakota and Colton grew up together.
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 2:24 pm

Luka was playing in the park the other day with another pup and we were told that we had "killer dogs" and we were irresponsible for "fighting" them. He mentioned that he was going to report us to the parks police and the council LOL - at least he is a man of his word... Today was a lovely day and we were all sitting around in the park, laughing about it WITH the parks police lol! Drama from another owner... 1625187496
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 2:32 pm

I never had that, it is usually the pits get the police called.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 2:48 pm

Ghost and her pit mix "boyfriend" Caesar got the cops called at the base park by some flipping idiot who was there with her "Newfoundland" puppy. I put that in quotes because she claimed it was a Newfoundland, but it looked an awful lot like a Border Collie. Like, when we drove up Aaron and I were both like "oh cool a Border Collie". Ghost came in and she and Caesar tend to play a little rough especially at first, and this lady started freaking out, screamed at us, screamed at the dog, RAISED A HAND TO STRIKE GHOST after she leashed her pup in the park, and then bitched to the base cops on the way out. The cops came to the park, were a little confrontational at first (base cops have NOTHING to do on weekends, they get really bored), realized that the dogs were fine and we had a laugh and they left. Then a bunch of our other friends started showing up saying that the cops were warning people about the "aggressive" pit bull in the park Drama from another owner... 1625187496 Yeah, the aggressive pit bull that is so submissive he usually hides under the benches at the park. Oh, and Ghost and Caesar are both CGC...

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Drama from another owner... 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 3:03 pm

That's incredibly rude of her! There are several Malamute's that come to our dog park and they've never once displayed aggression in any way! They are big gentle giants, so I would really take what that lady said with a grain of salt, because she obviously doesn't know what she is talking about. I sure wouldn't bring my dog to her for training!
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 5:33 pm

hypers987 wrote:
Yea ive given up talking to other owners at dog parks, even northern breed owners; they are all idiots. The last northern breed owner asked me how I got Kale's coat so full and shine, I said fish oil caps, and she said that I was hurting him by giving him human fish oil... yet they just complimented his coat...? scratch O yes... I'm "harming" him. She also claimed to be a "husky expert" as well Drama from another owner... 1625187496 ... LOL I laughed in her face and walked away.

Psssht, tell me about it. There is an all white WOOLY female husky that comes to our local dog park all the time, and her owner was telling me they plan to shave her in the summer. I nearly died. I told her, very nicely and not arrogantly, that shaving huskies actually can really harm them, that they need their coats for protection for heat and UV rays. She was like, "no it's fine. I know all about huskies."

REALLY?? You obviously haven't read crap!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
amcooke
Newborn
Newborn
amcooke

Female Join date : 2012-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 7:07 pm

Because Malamutes look so much like wolves, wolf breeders used them to cross breed, which made a dangerous dog. One with both wild and domestic blood, and a very emotionally unstable animal which bit many people. In the 90's they were banned to even be owned, so the breeders and owners of these animals went and licensed them as Malamutes. Since they have a habit to bite, and many of them do, it rose the bite statistics and they're now are being labeled as a biting breed. The Malamute actually has the same friendliness to strangers, children, and family compaired to the Husky.

So sadly this wonderful dog has a bad label for unjust reason. The next person who tells you that they're known to biting, you offically know why they're saying that, but they might not know the whole back story, so maybe just fill them in on that ;p
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 8:22 pm

Ugh. People are such idiots. I just met a husky owner today that has been "breeding and raising" huskies, mals and eskimo dogs for 10 years and that I should be wrapped in 3 fur coats and then thrown out in the heat for what I am doing to my dogs by not shaving them. I realize that as a first time owner, you might be confused, but if she has been "raising" these dogs for 10 years, then she should have a clue.

I'm so glad this forum isn't full of idiots! lol!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 9:15 pm

Cough *BYB* cough cough

Lol some idiot on YouTube responded to a comment I made on the it's me or the dog episode with Diesel the Husky saying how he's been raising huskies for so long and blah blah blah what I'm saying is wrong blah blah. This is my comment:

Quote :
@VilleValo235 Dominating the dog has nothing to do with it. A Husky or Mal WILL take a mile if you give them an inch. This guy was living in lala land and the girl had no idea how to control the dog. Throw in the fact that the dog isn't neutered and now you've got one pain in the ass Sibe. Victoria didn't "dominate" the dog to get him to stop the behavior she just took away the positive reinforcement his bad behavior was giving him. They aren't a dumb breed.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 10:38 pm

That's a good comment, Kristina.

I don't understand why people think it's a good idea to shave their dogs. That fur is there for a reason! I agree Tiffany, it's one of the great things about this forum - people are knowledgeable about their dogs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Lainaloo
Teenager
Teenager
Lainaloo

Female Join date : 2011-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 1:09 am

Just like with my son, DO NOT tell me how to raise my dog (also my son... lol). When people are so blatantly idiotic when it comes to this I can't even keep myself from saying "well, you're an idiot". Luckily no one has crossed paths with me on the subject of Atka.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/laina.dotson
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

Female Join date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 1:24 am

Quote :
@VilleValo235 Dominating the dog has nothing to do with it. A Husky or Mal WILL take a mile if you give them an inch. This guy was living in lala land and the girl had no idea how to control the dog. Throw in the fact that the dog isn't neutered and now you've got one pain in the ass Sibe. Victoria didn't "dominate" the dog to get him to stop the behavior she just took away the positive reinforcement his bad behavior was giving him. They aren't a dumb breed.
[/quote
I read some wher that most trainers wont train sibes or mals because they just dont listen. But if you asked a non northernbreed dog to jump off a bridge he would jump but ask a sibe and hell look at you and tell you to jump first, now you cant tell me thats a dumb animal. and my guy is so loving towards people its a same they get a bad name because of stupid people
Back to top Go down
henielsen
Teenager
Teenager
henielsen

Female Join date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 2:02 am

My trainer explains the differences between their dogs and huskies LOL.....

Huskies were breed to run.....

Huskies are vocal.....

Huskies are overly friendly.....

Huskies are breed to pull....

And no, he isn't a wolf.
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 10:05 am

It's stories like this that make me VERY glad that we met a great trainer right off the bat who had husky experience, believed any dog breed could be trained, and always made us feel welcome, even when Isis was being a complete brat.

Also, thanks to her (training us to train them), both of our huskies get complimented on their behavior whenever we go out (even if there's the occasional "...for a husky" thrown in Razz).
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 12:41 pm

It really floors me that people act like this, because I have never seen a misbehaving husky (or mal).
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 4:47 pm

Tiff&Kya wrote:
It really floors me that people act like this, because I have never seen a misbehaving husky (or mal).

Kale has to announce himself when we go to the vet, and he has to put his paws on the counter and say hi quickly (as I'm pulling him off) but other than that he's a gem when we go out. Me and my mom have a weekly Starbucks meet and Kale sits with us quietly the whole time. The only thing that gets him riled up are kids on skateboards lol Rolling Eyes I've seen some pretty unruly Huskies, and boy can they be rambunctious when untrained. But they are never "aggressive" or "bad", just untrained, which is the owners faults not the dogs. No So yea people acting like northern breeds are aggressive irritate me, but it's only because they don't know the breeds and don't want to know. You try to tell'em different and it's in one ear out the other lol
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 4:53 pm

hypers987 wrote:
Tiff&Kya wrote:

Kale has to announce himself when we go to the vet, and he has to put his paws on the counter and say hi quickly (as I'm pulling him off) but other than that he's a gem when we go out. Me and my mom have a weekly Starbucks meet and Kale sits with us quietly the whole time. The only thing that gets him riled up are kids on skateboards lol Rolling Eyes I've seen some pretty unruly Huskies, and boy can they be rambunctious when untrained. But they are never "aggressive" or "bad", just untrained, which is the owners faults not the dogs. No So yea people acting like northern breeds are aggressive irritate me, but it's only because they don't know the breeds and don't want to know. You try to tell'em different and it's in one ear out the other lol

I take Blaze into the Bank about 3 times a week I tell him to be on best behavior he walks in looks around wanting to tell them he is here. There are a couple of the bank employees that kind of give him permission to speak he reads that from them and then proceeds to announce that he is here.. He also put his feet on the counter and says hello to the tellers.

The girls at the bank love him and seem to love it when we go in.
Back to top Go down
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

Female Join date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 5:57 pm

river went into round table pizza (cuz hes intraining to be a service dog) and the guy didnt believe my husband so he showed him his tag and the guy put his face right infront of rivers and he roorooed him and the guy got all freaked out, but seriously who puts thier face in a unknown dogs face, but thats the only time i have ever has some what of an issue with him
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 6:57 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Cough *BYB* cough cough

Lol some idiot on YouTube responded to a comment I made on the it's me or the dog episode with Diesel the Husky saying how he's been raising huskies for so long and blah blah blah what I'm saying is wrong blah blah. This is my comment:

Quote :

I seen that episode twice
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 7:09 pm

I have never encountered anyone that had anything bad to say about a husky. Thor is my 3rd husky. I had 2 at once when I lived in Ohio Lady and Two Boy. I lived in a small town everyone knew I had them. I walked them every day through town and people would come up and pet them and kids would love them. Two Boy was my escape artist and he would get the back gate open and he and Lady would go to the dairy queen...lol A friend of my moms would see them over there and call me at work and I would walk down and get them. I would get there and some body would be feeding them ice cream...lol
I kinda miss those days in a way I love you
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 2:10 pm

cbhart wrote:
river went into round table pizza (cuz hes intraining to be a service dog) and the guy didnt believe my husband so he showed him his tag and the guy put his face right infront of rivers and he roorooed him and the guy got all freaked out, but seriously who puts thier face in a unknown dogs face, but thats the only time i have ever has some what of an issue with him

that is just an idiot IMO..
Back to top Go down
Zephyr&Titan
Newborn
Newborn
Zephyr&Titan

Female Join date : 2012-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 2:20 pm

I'm sorry but I do not, for a second, believe the person saying that the huskies bred with wolves are dangerous dogs. I've had hybrids for years and the only negative thing about them is that they're extremely skittish.
We've dealt with lots of judgement from owning them. People have threatened to poison and shoot them.
There are bad dogs in every breed, but no bad breeds.
Back to top Go down
http://hybridhearts.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drama from another owner...   Drama from another owner... Empty

Back to top Go down

Drama from another owner...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next