It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is this a common issue??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

Is this a common issue?? Empty
PostSubject: Is this a common issue??   Is this a common issue?? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 4:01 pm

Guys, i have no idea what its called, i think its called "burr" but you know that stuff round your eye when you wake up? yeh, well, Luka gets a lot of it, I've started wiping his eyes/face 3-4times a day - i thought it was just something to get when he has had a nights sleep?

Is this common? Is it normal?
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Is this a common issue??   Is this a common issue?? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 4:09 pm

yep. I do it everyday with maggie! it actually was more when she was a puppy but now its just when she wakes up. Now if it is causing the dog not see than that is a problem,
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Is this a common issue??   Is this a common issue?? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 4:11 pm

its clear that it isn't causing him discomfort or affecting his vision, its just there a lot more than i thought it should be so thought id ask Smile

thanks for the input, its so relieving to know that its normal Smile
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Is this a common issue??   Is this a common issue?? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 5:24 pm

Is this a relatively new development? My dogs never have this issue but I know some individuals do. When we adopted our third dog, Glory, she came to use with her eyes tearing quite a bit. We took her to the vet for a check up not thinking anything was wrong and found out it was because of an eye infection that she was tearing more than normal. After being on antibiotic eye drops for a week she cleared up and was back to normal.

Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

Female Join date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Is this a common issue??   Is this a common issue?? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 5:41 pm

river gets it aswell and I have to wipe his eyes too
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Is this a common issue??   Is this a common issue?? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 5:46 pm

Both Mya and Kody get it also. Mya more than Kody though. Especially in the morning or when we get home from work since she was sleeping. It does happen throughout the day sometimes also.
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Is this a common issue??   Is this a common issue?? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 6:56 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Is this a relatively new development? My dogs never have this issue but I know some individuals do. When we adopted our third dog, Glory, she came to use with her eyes tearing quite a bit. We took her to the vet for a check up not thinking anything was wrong and found out it was because of an eye infection that she was tearing more than normal. After being on antibiotic eye drops for a week she cleared up and was back to normal.

i think he is tearing more than before, but i could be mistaken - it seems I'm not alone on this which makes me feel a whole lot better...

maybe ill bring it up next time I'm at the vet!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Is this a common issue??   Is this a common issue?? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 7:56 pm

BTW, Mya used to tear A LOT on her left eye. I took her to the vet and they gave us an antibiotic ointment to apply which didn't do much honestly. Once we changed her diet the tearing reduced A LOT. Now, this tearing and doggie eye buggers is totally different. The eye buggies are dry and hard, not wet. Those are normal I think. Now, the tearing shouldn't be (I don't think).
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Is this a common issue??   Is this a common issue?? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 7:59 pm

Hayden gets this a lot too! Some days worse than others, but I find I have to wipe his eyes a couple times a day. I was wondering about it too, but I suppose it's pretty common. Smile
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Is this a common issue??   Is this a common issue?? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 8:19 pm

luka's aren't wet they wipe off pretty easy too - maybe its because they sleep so much? lol
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Female Join date : 2011-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Is this a common issue??   Is this a common issue?? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 8:54 pm

Indy's eyes don't tear as much as they used to, but he does get eye buggers. Gross! Lol I have to wipe his eyes every day as well.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Is this a common issue??   Is this a common issue?? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 10:21 pm

If his eyes seem to run a lot also during the day and start getting what is called angel tears give him a Probiotic once a day with one of the meals. Adobo had the angel tears and crusties pretty bad for the longest time. Probiotics took care of the problem but it will be a long process, took her at least 6 months before I started seeing a difference and about 9 months by the time I felt the problem was gone. She still get one a day with her morning meal, no harm to her by feeding daily.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Is this a common issue??   Is this a common issue?? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 2:42 am

All of my dogs get it. My pom Drama is bad, like Vals dog was, but it is because her cornia was scratched at the BYB and she now has issues with it tearing and the eye "caca" as us texans call it, several times a day. Kya gets it every morning, but our siamese cat bathes her face every morning, so they take care of it lol.
Back to top Go down
bott6654
Puppy
Puppy
bott6654

Male Join date : 2012-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Is this a common issue??   Is this a common issue?? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 3:10 am

Everyone has a differnt name for it. I usually call it eye boogers or sleepy sand. Dakota gets it often and I just wipe it away just in case it's got any bacteria that could stain under his eyes or bother him. I don't think it's a big deal. Dogs simply get sleepy sand (or eye boogers, whatever you prefer) often. No need to worry unless it becomes a lot of tearing! Smile
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Is this a common issue??   Is this a common issue?? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 8:31 am

thanks guys for all the input Smile ill just stick to wiping them daily and if it starts getting worse, supplement his food with a probiotic!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is this a common issue??   Is this a common issue?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is this a common issue??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1