It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

First litter questions...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
myprettylily1
Newborn
Newborn
myprettylily1

Female Join date : 2012-02-27

First litter questions... Empty
PostSubject: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 6:10 pm

My sibe is about to come into heat here in about a month or so and I am planning on breeding her with a red husky. I have a few questions about breeding her and would like a few ANSWERS not reasons why I shouldn't breed her Smile

Since she is my first dog to actually breed what are some things to know before I do it and what I should expect?

How much should I feed her before, during, and after breeding?

What is the best time to breed her with the male while she is in heat?

Umm if you have anymore useful info help me out here Smile
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 6:16 pm

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t1043-so-you-want-to-be-a-breeder

read this PLEASE! other then that i have nothing to add

Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 6:24 pm

My info is to not breed her. Period.

Since it's her first heat you have NO health testing done - haven't done her eyes and her hips can't be done until she's 2 years old.

First litter questions... Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 6:26 pm

RESPONSIBLE BREEDING -Preparing to breed your female Siberian Husky:A step-by-step checklist to help you prepare for the responsibility of breeding your female Siberian Husky.

Step 1. Study & research ALL the materials you can find about the breed, including the breeds different lines.

Step 2. Attend dog shows and talk to Siberian Husky owners. Enter your female and see how she stacks up against other Siberians.

Step 3. While you study the breed, work in Siberian Husky rescue. Ifyou don't have the time, money and facilities to provide a foster home to abandoned Siberians, then you don't have the time, the resources or the room to breed a litter. Fostering abandoned dogs and working to find them loving, permanent homes will help you understand the responsibility of bringing more puppies into the world.

Step 4. When your female reaches age two, assess her qualifications as a breeding animal. First evaluate her temperament. If it is PERFECT, she’ll be happy and well-adjusted and not shy or aggressive.

Step 5. Have your female evaluated by a few knowledgeable breeders of top-quality show Siberians. Add this to the information you received if you tried showing her. If she is a good, sound example of the breed, then go to Step 6.

Step 6. Check her health and verify that she does not show evidence of inherited disorders that she could pass to her puppies. As a minimum:* have her hips x-rayed and evaluated by OFA (or use PennHIP testing)* have her eyes tested by a Veterinary Ophthalmologist* have your vet check her thyroid function* have her tested for brucellosisMake sure she has a hip rating of good or excellent, perfect eyes, and normal thyroid function. Her brucellosis test should be negative. Also be sure she is absolutely free from seizures and blood clotting disorders and that she does not suffer from excessive allergic conditions. Get her shots up to date, and check her for worms and other parasites.

Step 7. Research her pedigree. What were the results of genetic health screenings performed on her parents? Grandparents? Littermates? Did they all have good temperaments? Were they all good representatives of the breed, and did they conform to the breed standard? Is there evidence that the preponderance of dogs in the pedigree carry the genes for desirable traits?

Step 8. Seek a stud that has passed Steps 4, 5, 6 and 7 and be sure to get copies of:* his pedigree* his OFA certificate or PennHip results* his CERF or SHOR eye certificate. CERF and SHOR certificates are only valid for 12 months. If the certificate is out of date, insist that he be re-certified.* his thyroid test resultsInform the stud's owner that you expect the stud be tested for Brucellosis prior to being bred to your female. Agree in advance on a stud fee.

Step 9. Research and prepare your sales contracts. Only the finest and healthiest dogs should be used for breeding, and not all puppies are destined to grow up to be breeding quality. Hence, you will want to sell your puppies with limited registrations. Your sales contract should include a provision that states if the home does not work out, the puppy will be returned to you-no matter how old it is. This is a good time to invest in extra dog pens/crates, so that you always have a place for the pups to return home, even years later.

Step 10. Establish a waiting list of homes for the puppies. Visit the potential homes in advance, and pay special attention to the fences and facilities. (Siberian Huskies are wonderful escape artists! Make sure that the potential new homes are properly equipped & educated.) Take monetary deposits to ensure that the puppy buyers are seriously committed and willing to wait to get a puppy. This is because often the promise of a good home disappears after the puppies are born. And no puppy should be born without a loving home waiting.

Step 11. Set aside about $250 for vet bills, and an extra $500 in case your female should require a C-section. You will also need to pay for 2-3 sets of shots and worming for the litter, which will probably run around $50-$75 per puppy (more in certain areas).

STEP 12. Make arrangements in advance to take time off from work or school should the pups require handfeeding (Required if your female should fail to produce milk, or worse, if she should die from whelping.) Handfeeding occurs every 2 hours, day and night, for about the first 2 weeks, then every 4 hours until the pups are about 5 weeks old. After that, they can probably handle specially-prepared soft foods, and will need to be fed about 4 times a day. Factor in the cost of milk replacement products.

Step 13. Take a good look at where you will raise the puppies. Puppies can escape through tiny spaces. Reinforce your fences and prepare a safe, temperature-controlled place for the puppies to be born. Buy several cases of paper towels, because puppies poop and pee dozens of times a day. Figure you will clean up 10-20 piles and puddles per puppy every day from the time they are old enough to move around until they are ready to go to new homes. (Miami residents: according to city code, every dog bred in the City MUST be microchipped & registered or you will get a fine.)

Congratulations!After successfully completing ALL of these steps . . . you are now ready to breed your female Siberian Husky.

Not many people on this forum have bred their huskies before and if you don't show/work your dog, have checked her eyes and hips, if she's not older than 2yrs old, and if you don't have a really good reason for breeding her, you're not going to get much help here. If you seriously want to breed her, join your local kennel club and learn about breeding dogs there.

First litter questions... Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 6:34 pm

If you don't know what part of estrus she needs to be in to breed, then you should do some more research and wait. It's not something to be taken lightly. Get some books and talk to other breeders in your area. Have you ever been present for a whelping? If you haven't, I suggest that you watch a female whelp first. The thread that Jenn provided is a perfect starting place. There's more that goes into breeding than puppies, and the possible complications can be extremely severe. Just last week we had a female in the middle of her whelp and a puppy got stuck in the uterine canal, the Dr couldn't do anything externally and wanted to do a c-section. The owners couldn't afford the emergency surgery and had to put their dog down. It was extremely sad and unnecessary. I realize you asked to not get this info but you're gonna get it on a forum, we're here to give you facts. Please research and make sure your ready.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
myprettylily1
Newborn
Newborn
myprettylily1

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 6:36 pm

Ok look I have said this before that I don't want an arguement just simple answers.

it is not her first heat and i how do you know if I haven't already done the tests and she's good to go.

Please don't start hounding me on this stuff if you don't know what's been done already.

I will breed her if I want to and I have many people already waiting for her be bred.

Thank you sara for your comment Smile
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 6:41 pm

myprettylily1 wrote:
Ok look I have said this before that I don't want an arguement just simple answers.
it is not her first heat and i how do you know if I haven't already done the tests and she's good to go.
Please don't start hounding me on this stuff if you don't know what's been done already.
I will breed her if I want to and I have many people already waiting for her be bred.
Thank you sara for your comment Smile

well all i will say is that YOU should list EVERYTHING you have done to prep for this breeding. we don't know what you have done and will start from the beginning.

we are not huge supporters of people breeding their huskies if not to show, or work and are part of a kennel that is out to better the breed, not to make a few bucks from the puppies.

Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 6:41 pm

If you had the testing done and knew anything about breeding - you wouldn't be on an internet forum looking for advice about what to feed how much and when you should do the breeding.

You'd have a mentor and you'd be proving your bitch in some way to show that she is worthy of breeding. Having a cute dog and having people that want puppies doesn't mean shes breed worthy and certainly doesn't mean that she is even a credit to the breed.

Grats on creating more puppies in the world that will most likely end up in shelters.

that being said - I hope for the sake of your dog nothing happens to her during whelp.

I won't be commenting more in this thread.

First litter questions... Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 6:48 pm

Pretty sure no one was "hounding" you, just giving "facts" and "warnings" which ARE answers.
Back to top Go down
myprettylily1
Newborn
Newborn
myprettylily1

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 6:52 pm

Already know the facts and warnings. All I wanted were answers not facts and warnings thank you
Back to top Go down
capblossoms
Teenager
Teenager
capblossoms

Female Join date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 7:05 pm

Don't you think maybe you should do a LITTLE more research before you just DECIDE to breed your poor dog for the hell of it? You obviously don't have the knowledge required to do this. If your friends want husky puppies, let them go to a RESPONSIBLE breeder that knows what they are doing. sorry, but I see results of breeders like you EVERY DAY in the shelter because they just thought it would be nice to have puppies and gave them to their friends or whoever else will pay for them, who most of the time know NOTHING about the dog they are getting and it ends up being too much to handle, so they dump it in a shelter. Unless that dog is "lucky" enough to go to a rescue do you know what happens to most of them? It's given a week or so, depending on how full the shelter is, and if it isn't adopted by then, its dragged to the back room and killed. So good job, way to contribute to the problem.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 7:08 pm

Well then you need to let us know what you know; we know nothing about you or your furbaby. Stop being so defensive. Shocked

There are four stages to Estrous in female dogs: Proestrus, Estrus, Diestrus, and Anestrus. Females are receptive to males during estrus. This site may help http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/breedingheat.htm

As for feeding, most bags of puppy food will have a section for how much to feed a pregnant female, since females need to be feed an all-life stages or puppy food during pregnancy.

And for the record... you did ask what to expect, as to why some of us told you.

Hope the link helps, sometimes pictures are better than reading it.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 7:25 pm

This forum is happy to help you with any other husky-related questions and is quite welcoming. Many of us have rescued huskies who were victims of uneducated individuals choosing to breed their dogs indiscriminately. Many end up with available ailments caused by breeding dogs with poor genes - leading to eye issues, hip and joint issues, etc.

Once you've seen a 7 month old husky suffering and need a hip replacement, you'll understand why we are so passionate about stopping backyard breeding.

If you did your research, you would know that you're not qualified to breed a dog. Especially if you're coming on a public forum asking how to do it.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 7:33 pm

I think the best thing would be to not breed her this cycle, but to wait for the next cycle and in the meantime you have time to do your research and decide how and whether you want to go ahead with this. I think it's unlikely you can do enough in the next month, since you really need to find a mentor and help them with whelping before trying it on your own. There are lots of things that can go wrong for both mother and puppies, and they can be fatal, so you need to know what you are doing.

If you haven't already had the hip and eye checks, please take on board what other people have said about this. These tests are recommended for a reason - hip and eye problems are very common in dogs and cause a lot of distress to the dogs, and of course to their owners (who also have the expense of dealing with it). Hip dysplasia is an awful thing and it is very common. Unfortunately this means that some dogs should not be bred from, because the offspring will have genetic problems; that's why the tests are necessary.

Dog overpopulation is a real problem and the number of dogs that are put down each year simply because their owners no longer want them is staggering. That's the other reason people are suggesting you think again. You say you have potential owners already lined up; that's a good thing, and if they are good homes they will be prepared to wait while you do your research and do things properly.

Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 8:04 pm

So since you have an attitude I'll return the favor and suggest community service in the euthanasia room at your local shelter.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 9:03 pm

So have you had her hips and eyes checked?

Check out the Siberian Husky Club of America's website. They tell about what you are checking for in hips and eyes: http://www.shca.org/shcahp4d.htm
and also their guidelines for ethical breeding: http://www.shca.org/shcahp4b.htm
and ethical sales: http://www.shca.org/shcahp4c.htm

First litter questions... Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 9:15 pm

I'm sorry, but in the dog community breeding just to breed is not looked upon kindly as there are currently thousands of Siberians in shelters dying as we hash this out. I just cannot see why anyone would want to potentially add to that amount nor why they would want to breed their dog without it's parents being the healthiest and best representation of the breed possible.

You have provided zero information about yourself, any testing on your female, where she's from, how old she is, or how you're prepared to handle this. In turn we are trying to prevent more puppies from being born who have a higher chance of ending up in shelters and/or having medical problems later in life.

If that isn't what you want to hear, dog community message boards are not the place to find the information you seek. You need to find a breed mentor and go about it the responsible way.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 9:23 pm

And to add- most of us here have rescues with abnormalities and/or physical problems from irresponsible breeders, including myself; which is why we are all so passionate about responsible breeding and acquiring knowledge about every aspect of what it takes and what goes into breeding a sound show quality Siberian, like Kristina already mentioned. Watching and hearing about what other member here were/are going through and what I've gone through with Kale, I would never wish that upon anyone.
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 9:24 pm

Your Husky doesn't look like she would better the breed, ill pitch in a few bucks if everyone else will for gas money for you tor bring her to me.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 9:29 pm

i<3neo wrote:
Your Husky doesn't look like she would better the breed, ill pitch in a few bucks if everyone else will for gas money for you tor bring her to me.
better yet a spay

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 9:42 pm

The fact that you are posting here to get more information means you are nowhere near ready to breed. The fact that you presented yourself the way that you did and still expected us to respond in the manner that you requested shows that you know nothing about the dog world.

Do yourself and your dog a favor. Educate yourself. No one is telling you not to breed. We're telling you that if you ARE going to do it... do it responsibly and for the right reasons. As of yet, you haven't provided us with a SINGLE reason or indication that you know what you are doing and that tells us that you are nowhere NEAR the type of breeder that we would be willing to support or endorse.

Breeding is so much more than bringing puppies into the world and having homes for them. Stop making yourself look so stupid and either rethink your decision or start presenting yourself as a serious and responsible breeder.

First litter questions... Hailey10
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 9:50 pm

jbealer wrote:
i<3neo wrote:
better yet a spay

Ill take care of that lol
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 10:31 pm

myprettylily1 wrote:
Already know the facts and warnings. All I wanted were answers not facts and warnings thank you

If you already knew the facts you wouldn't be looking for answers. First litter questions... 1625187496
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:38 pm

+1 Len.
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Female Join date : 2011-12-01

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:53 pm

+2 Len, I was thinking the exact same thing. They sound like they know everything about the tests and health regulations and "know the facts" yet they're asking for a lot of help.....

My advice, hold off on breeding her till you do your research and try showing her. If she doesn't make the cut then get her altered. We don't need any more puppies that risk the chance of ending up in our already over-crowded shelters and rescues. We definitely don't need any more irresponsibly bred dogs either. Not trying to be rude or hammer down on you, just please look at what you're asking and what you're saying. It's in your dog's absolute best interest to just have her spayed now and never breed her.

Look up puppy mills and BYB and read about and look at what they do/have done to the dogs just for profit or "the love of their pet."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First litter questions...   First litter questions... Empty

Back to top Go down

First litter questions...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next