It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Crate Size

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HuskyCowgirl08
Newborn
Newborn
HuskyCowgirl08

Female Join date : 2012-02-02

Crate Size Empty
PostSubject: Crate Size   Crate Size EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 12:47 am

Does anyone know the measurement of their crate for a full-grown husky? Sky is still a puppy and I've been borrowing a medium-sized crate so that she didn't use a large one for the restroom, but I want to go ahead and order one online (since it is cheaper). I am just not sure which size. Also, what is your opinion on wire crates vs. plastic petmate ones?? I've always used the ones with covered sides, but I'm thinking that a wire fold-down one would be easier to travel with in my car. What do y'all think?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Crate Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Size   Crate Size EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 1:09 am

This is the crate I used for my 50-lb female husky:
http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-iCrate-Double-Door-Folding-Inches/dp/B000QFT1RC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1329019669&sr=8-3

42x28x30"

Newborn
Newborn
HuskyCowgirl08

Female Join date : 2012-02-02

Crate Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Size   Crate Size EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 1:26 am

Thanks! Do you crate-train your huskies? My little girl is already crate trained... but I'm just afraid that switching to a wire one will make her whine a lot more since she'll be able to see out of the sides. Right now most light is blocked when she is in her kennel, so she falls asleep really easily. Sorry if this is a silly question lol
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Crate Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Size   Crate Size EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 10:54 am

Actually not a silly question at all. She just might whine even less being able to see out from all 4 sides as to the limited viability of the solid side models. Less claustrophobic.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

Crate Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Size   Crate Size EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 11:07 am

I personally like the wire crates better.They are much easier to clean, look better, easy to assemble and disassemble, and travel with.

I made the mistake with my female Dalmatian when she was a puppy of buying one too big too soon and she CONSTANTLY had accidents in it! I wouldn't upgrade you're pup to the bigger one until you absolutely had to.

Right now I have two crates for Hayden.
This one I use when I leave the house and crate him with. It's a medium size.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4205612&lmdn=Crate+Style

And I also have this crate in my bedroom in a large for sleeping at night and he can grow into. The great thing about buying the larger crates is they should come with a divider in it, so you can block off portions of the crate, so it's not as big to the pup.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3512172&lmdn=Crate+Style
Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

Crate Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Size   Crate Size EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 11:28 am

I like wire crates better because they allow for greater airflow, although I do use a plastic airline type crate when we are traveling in the car. I buy the largest size available and have never had any problems with them using it in the crate. I have the Kennelaire Professional series wire crates which have 1 inch square mesh sides. I have seen dogs get their jaws stuck in the larger mesh crates. They fold up and are fairly easy to transport. Pretty much a Husky proof crate.
Back to top Go down
Kiyonai
Teenager
Teenager
Kiyonai

Female Join date : 2012-02-01

Crate Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Size   Crate Size EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 11:28 am

I use the 36" for Diesel and I had a 60lbs (at least) husky at one point and he fit in it fine as well (Diesel is only 42-46lbs). I get mine on ebay. So much cheaper than in store, trust me, I got mine for $40.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Crate Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Size   Crate Size EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 12:05 pm

My girls fit in 36" crates just fine, but I also got them 42" crates so they would have plenty of room. I take the 36" one with me to dog events and the 42" ones stay at home for them to sleep in (though they usually like to share just one of them. lol. it's so cute.).

Not sure how big your pup is going to end up though. I would say big since she has lab in her, but she's so small right now! lol.

Crate Size Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Crate Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Size   Crate Size EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 1:30 pm

We have one 36" wire crate with a cover for the crate - plus a crate "bumper" set to soften the sides (from wag.com) and one 36" airline crate - since Miss Houdini was at risk of getting out of the wire crate. For our 52 lb husky, both crates are huuuuge. For our 69 lb husky, the 36" is just big enough for him to relax.
Back to top Go down
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

Female Join date : 2012-01-19

Crate Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Size   Crate Size EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 1:41 pm

I also use a 36" gives him just enough room to turn around and lay down
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Crate Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Size   Crate Size EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 9:11 pm

cmanding wrote:
This is the crate I used for my 50-lb female husky:
http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-iCrate-Double-Door-Folding-Inches/dp/B000QFT1RC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1329019669&sr=8-3

42x28x30"

Claudia, is this crate sturdy for you? I just ordered two of these off the link you provided and I just got one delivered. It seems so floppy! I can't even get one side to snap closed. I'm gonna have to get the plyers out and bend it back in shape. I'm not feeling very confident in it. I think if your dog has no issues with a crate it will be fine but for those dogs that will try to get out, won't have to try very hard. My second one hasn't been delivered yet and I'm thinking about sending it right back.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Crate Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Size   Crate Size EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 11:17 pm

Mindy - you have to get in exactly the right position or it seems floppy. The top wire thing snaps a bit lower than the sides and makes it sturdy. Sorry...hard to explain and still at work. Wink
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Crate Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Size   Crate Size EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 11:18 pm

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Mindy - you have to get in exactly the right position or it seems floppy. The top wire thing snaps a bit lower than the sides and makes it sturdy. Sorry...hard to explain and still at work. Wink

Hmm...now you have me wondering. Let me go look it over again.
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

Crate Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Size   Crate Size EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 11:32 pm

HuskyCowgirl08 wrote:
Thanks! Do you crate-train your huskies? My little girl is already crate trained... but I'm just afraid that switching to a wire one will make her whine a lot more since she'll be able to see out of the sides. Right now most light is blocked when she is in her kennel, so she falls asleep really easily. Sorry if this is a silly question lol

Our pups LOVE their crate. We call it their "house" and we only use it for sleepy time, when we are gone, and such. Not for discipline.

get at least the 42"
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Crate Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Size   Crate Size EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 12:19 am

hollywoodhuskies wrote:

I read the instructions again and the left side of the top wire should be inside the left wall but the right top wire should be on the outside of the wall. It doesn't snap into place at all... and there is one wall that will not close properly.

This is how it should look, but I have to hold it closed
Crate Size 2012-02-17203004

and this is what it can do if the dogs decide to push on it.
Crate Size 2012-02-17202955
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

Crate Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Size   Crate Size EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 2:41 am

Ava's is a 36" one too and its perfect for her. I definitely prefer wire crates to petmate ones, but Ava does seem to like when her crate is dark, so I cover it with something. Her crate is an Elitefield one from ebay and I really like it. Very sturdy and easy to set up, plus the price was great. And it came in pink Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Crate Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Size   Crate Size EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 3:58 am

Mine both have 42"L x 28"W x 31"H crates

I just got a new one for Zoey.. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063MQMG/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details It should be here tomorrow, I hope it's a good one!
Back to top Go down
krisdean.flynn
Newborn
Newborn
krisdean.flynn

Male Join date : 2012-01-27

Crate Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Size   Crate Size EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 3:39 am

Niko currently has a 30L but we are considering getting him a 42 or 48 for when hes bigger. the only draw back to us is that he 30" is as tall as the bed and about 20"H and the 42 and 48 are about 10" taller!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Crate Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Size   Crate Size EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 3:52 am

Jennet&Embry wrote:
Mine both have 42"L x 28"W x 31"H crates

I just got a new one for Zoey.. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063MQMG/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details It should be here tomorrow, I hope it's a good one!

Got it in the mail this afternoon, it's a great kennel! especially for the price! just as great as Embrys, which was originally $160 but we got it off CL for $50
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Crate Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Size   Crate Size Empty

Back to top Go down

Crate Size

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1