It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Residue on hands after petting??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

Female Join date : 2012-01-05

Residue on hands after petting?? Empty
PostSubject: Residue on hands after petting??   Residue on hands after petting?? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 1:19 am

Hey guys, the past few days I have been working on petting Drake. He doesn't like it too much, but sometimes he'll let me do it. Tonight I stroked his coat about 10 minutes and when I was finished, I had this shiny white/silver residue on my hands. I've noticed it before, is this oil?? I have a picture, it didn't turn out that well but you can see it the best on my fingertips.

Residue on hands after petting?? Hand10
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Residue on hands after petting??   Residue on hands after petting?? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 1:23 am

Maybe when your petting him you can have a baby wipe or warm wash cloth to clean him off with; no idea what it could be tho scratch Very interesting!
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Residue on hands after petting??   Residue on hands after petting?? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 1:25 am

Oh, and I forgot to add. It's not dirt, it makes my fingers very smooth..but it doesn't feel greasy, if that makes any sense at all?
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Residue on hands after petting??   Residue on hands after petting?? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 1:27 am

I know jbealer has had this problem. I think it's buildup of dirt and oils which means it's probably time for grooming/bath but I know that might be an issue right now with Drake if you're still working towards gaining his trust. Sad Brooke has a good idea about the baby wipe or wash cloth.
Back to top Go down
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Residue on hands after petting??   Residue on hands after petting?? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 1:30 am

Yes....I've been putting off the whole bath thing. Luckily we have a dog-washing station at my apartment complex, that just HAPPENS to be right next to my building. They have a wooden table with a bar to tie the leash to and a hose. This eliminates the issue of trying to fight with him in the bathtub or shower, but considering I can't even get him to walk to the other side of my building, I'm pretty sure we'd have to carry him...Should we just do it anyway since he probably hasn't had a bath since he was initially picked up???
Back to top Go down
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Residue on hands after petting??   Residue on hands after petting?? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 1:32 am

Oh, and I did buy this pet wipes from Petco last time I was there. They smell like coconut, lol. I pet him so rarely that I usually don't have one handy.
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Residue on hands after petting??   Residue on hands after petting?? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 1:39 am

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with rescues so I don't know what to tell you. Hopefully, someone who knows more will chime in.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Residue on hands after petting??   Residue on hands after petting?? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 1:56 am

Its dandruff on the skin. Sierra gets it when its a bit past bath time. You should have seen me covered in white stuff after using claudias blower on Sunday. Its not a huge deal and I have used the wipes in the past but if u can get him a bath it would be best.

PostSubject: Re: Residue on hands after petting??   Residue on hands after petting?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Residue on hands after petting??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1