It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Alaskan Klee Kai's

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 3:33 pm

You're very welcome.

I'd check out this thread regarding Pet Insurance, a lot of great reviews.
https://www.itsahuskything.com/t4739-pet-insurance?highlight=insurance
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 9:02 pm

I use trupanion. My female comes from a questionable background so I wanted something that covers a lot. I have a 0 deductible and 90% coverage on both of my dogs for a total of 83.00
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Kymcole25
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 4:53 pm

Hi all!
I literally just registered a few minutes ago looking forward to getting to know more Sibe people and then saw this post and couldn't help but respond...

As someone who is familiar with the breed and several other breeders, I really hope that you purchased that puppy with a contact, have proof of payment, and saw the Sire & Dam's registration papers. Bonnie is VERY well known in the Klee Kai world and not for good reasons. In fact, just last night a new "case" was brought to our attention regarding her and her dogs.

For those of you interested in the breed, or finding reputable breeders near you feel free to ask!

Kim
Serenity Cove AKK
Back to top Go down
http://serenitycovekleekai.blogspot.com/
Kymcole25
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 12:42 am

calliegirl08 wrote:
Just for the sheer amusement, here's a toy AKK compared to a cat. I feel like this is "Honey, I Shrunk the Huskies!"
https://youtu.be/bkW5iFRD3Rw

Miki is a Serenity kid. Very Happy
He was the last pup out of our Kassia & Luka.
Back to top Go down
http://serenitycovekleekai.blogspot.com/
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 9:38 am

Okay, so I went to my first obedience class last night with Dizzy and there was an AKK the same age as him, just a few days apart. I'm not sure which kennel he came from, but I'm thinking it was one of the less reputable ones. First of all, he was the exact same size as Dizzy at 5 months, he weighed 27 lbs! When Dizzy was at the vet on 7/1 he was 28. So, I pretty much think she got ripped off. Secondly, this lady was totally unequipped for a husky type. His name was Loki and he was totally crazy, pretty much barked and jumped around through the entire class and she kept letting him sniff and instigate play with the dogs on either side of him. Dizzy was really chill because he had gone to doggie daycare and played all day. He had a couple moments where he lost control of his impulses, and tried to play, but mostly was very good. There was one dog between Dizzy and Loki, and throughout the class, even when the teacher was talking, the lady kept trying to ask me questions about Dizzy. I felt bad ignoring her, but was annoyed by the fact she was so disrespectful of the teacher. Even when we split off to work on things, she just sat in her chair with Loki going nuts and didn't get up to do anything. I think she was kinda overwhelmed and embarrassed, but wasn't handling it very well. The teacher is great, she also teaches the breed handling class I'm in, but she is deaf. She has a cochlear implant so she can hear and speak, but she speaks very softly and is hard to hear in a room full of dogs and other people. Anyway, I guess I'm wondering if there are many differences between temperament between the AKK and the husky. I'd like to give her some resources to check out, and ideas to help her and Loki, but I'm not sure how closely related they are. Smile Any ideas? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 12:44 pm

AKK's are quite different from huskies in a lot of ways, not just size. However, from a good breeder they can have great temperaments. Sounds like her AKK is lacking discipline and possibly not getting enough mental and physical exercise/stimulation. The size does sound a bit big for such a young Klee Kai. I have researched the breed quite a bit as I plan to get a Klee Kai myself when Dakota is no longer around. I have met a well bred mid size Klee Kai from a breeder that I would consider getting one from for myself when the time comes that had an excellent temperament, wasn't crazy hyper and didn't possess a Napoleon complex/small dog syndrome.

On another note, smaller dogs do tend to reach their growth potential sooner than larger dogs and therefore stop growing sooner which could possibly be the case with her Klee Kai. Not saying that is the case but it's entirely possible that her pup may not grow much more than it already has. For example, Chihuahuas tend to be done growing around 6 months but may continue to fill in until 12-18 months. We have to be mindful of the fact that AKK's are the product of mixing huskies with smaller dogs who do reach their growth potential sooner such as the Schipperke, etc.

Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 1:06 pm

Very interesting! I didn't know that about small dogs. Smile So, I should guide her to similar resources that I would point a husky owner to in terms of getting him under control? Also what would you consider mid size for a Klee Kai?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 1:09 pm

Ask her what kennel they came from, that can give you some insight about temperament issues.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 1:13 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
On another note, smaller dogs do tend to reach their growth potential sooner than larger dogs and therefore stop growing sooner which could possibly be the case with her Klee Kai. Not saying that is the case but it's entirely possible that her pup may not grow much more than it already has. For example, Chihuahuas tend to be done growing around 6 months but may continue to fill in until 12-18 months. We have to be mindful of the fact that AKK's are the product of mixing huskies with smaller dogs who do reach their growth potential sooner such as the Schipperke, etc.

Yes definitely agree with that, Cloud was pretty much full grown at 6 months.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 1:24 pm

That's interesting about Cloud. I'll find out next week what kennel he is from and look into it. Smile Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 2:21 pm

The one I met was a 'Miniature' (i.e. fell within the size range for the mid size Klee Kais). I think it was 14 lbs full grown, but this was 3 years ago so I am not positive on the weight anymore.

Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 2:34 pm

Oh wow! That dog had to be absolutely adorable! I just found the standard and it said up to 17" is allowed, so I could have been jumping to conclusions. Smile I'll have to ask her next week which kennel she got him from when I see her. Also, from the AAKAOA breeder's directory, it looks like there is a pretty reputable breeder in NJ, so it's possible I was way off the mark. Thanks for all the info! An AKK would be adorable with Prince!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Alaskan Klee Kai's

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3