It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Alaskan Klee Kai's

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 8:06 am

Not all of them look retarded. I don't like the Chi look on them either but that's more prevalent in the smallest size. The midsized AKK has an in-between look, some look decent and others look funky. The standard size (biggest) tend to look the most 'normal'.

I have considered getting an AKK in the future (way in the future, like when my current pack is no longer here), that or a small female Sibe. I think I would prefer a small female Sibe over an AKK but I am still open to either. I have met an AKK in the flesh, it was the middle size (I think that's what they call a 'Miniature'), and it was absolutely adorable. It didn't have that Chihuahua look to it and it didn't quite look like a mini husky but it wasn't at all freaky looking like some AKK's I've seen pics of.

Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 10:04 am

It's really weird how different they look. The "Toy" size looks nothing like the "miniature" and "standard" and I do see where the chi comparison comes from in the toy size. I do prefer standards to any other and they really do look more normal. The big difference is they don't seem as fluffy? as huskies. Maybe fluffy isn't the right word but from the klee kai's I've seen their either really furry or have really short coats. Honestly, after looking into them so much, they resemble foxes to me more than they do huskies. Or like a fox/coyote mix. Maybe it's the ears. Maybe I just need more sleep?

Megan, I don't know if you were asking me, but I have researched breeders. I've actually contacted one of the breeders here in New York that are one of the original breeders for more information and hopefully a chance to meet them. I definitely want to know what they're like in person before deciding whether I want one or not.

EDIT: For anyone considering a Klee Kai, here is a list of breeders that have proven to not be scams. You should still do your research and compare the different breeders but this will give you a good place to start. http://www.alaskankleekaiscam.com/buying-an-alaskan-klee-kai-2/breeder-list/
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 11:16 am

I forgot to mention the skittishness issue. With a good breeder and lots of socialization you can definitely have an AKK without the trait. The one I met was not skittish at all, it was very friendly and outgoing. It was scared of my sibe when they met but in all fairness my sibe is considerably larger and was jumping and carrying on like he'd never seen another dog before in his life. Any normal dog its size without a Napoleon complex would have been afraid of my insane husky too.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 1:48 pm

In the breed standard, AKK's are not supposed to be overly shy. There are A LOT of crappy breeders so please do your research and ask around Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
MrsCody09
Newborn
Newborn
MrsCody09

Female Join date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: agreed   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
Just my Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 2144500265 but I think the head never seems to be attached to the proper body. Looked like a chi head attached to a shrunken Sibe

I agree as well, look a little 'off' to me Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 9:26 pm

This little girl is going to be retiring soon, I really want her I love you Ughhhh just need to convince Keaton, which won't happen until our current pack is gone, or much much older.
Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 133
Back to top Go down
Wolfbandit
Puppy
Puppy
Wolfbandit

Female Join date : 2012-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 1:02 pm

I've encountered one AKK one time at the dog park. Let me tell you, that thing looked EXACTLY like a husky, just smaller. I thought it was a puppy until I saw it's paw size. And that thing had SPUNK. It literally looked like a husky, just smaller. No deformed head. No strange body length. I mean, Steele and it looked the same (aside from height, of course)!

Then again, that AKK also came from a breeder in michigan, and they spent a hefty 2500$ on the dog. I don't know exactly which breeder, but that dog was, imo, perfect for what it was supposed to be. Spunky, brave, SMART, and looked like a husky. The AKK was probably the miniature version. It wasn't super tiny, but it couldn't have weighed more than fifteen pounds.

/useless information over.
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 1:37 pm

Last year I was looking for a small spitz type dog like my favorite childhood dog, Lady and came across Alaskan Klee Kai's. I was dead set on having one and even contacted several breeders but ultimately decided they are way too expensive and it's a gamble because you never know if your cute puppy is going to turn into a normal looking adult. The breed is so new are there are still so many variables.

Anywho, there are some top breeders out there. My favorite stud, Ozzy is from AliAk Kennels

Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 424737_237549802995765_2012421965_n

His last litter was gorgeous!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 1:55 pm

The first time I saw a Klee Kai, I was 17, working at a kennel as a tech. It came in the previous day, after I left, so I didn't expect to see a tiny husky in one of the kennels when I started flipping lights on.

When my manager got to work, I was immediatly inquisitive about what kind of dog that was, and where to get a couple hundred of them for the house.

Then I met the lady who owns Fourpaw Sports, and she has 6 AKKs, either mini or toy, and one of them is a duel title champ in toy agility. I'm trying to get in with her to get me a Klee-Kai or two....dozen..
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 2:13 pm

K9_eric wrote:
I'm trying to get in with her to get me a Klee-Kai or two....dozen..

This had me literally laughing out loud... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 2:45 pm

If they turn out looking normal, they are actually pretty cute. But I've seen some pics of seriously funny looking ones. Never seen one in person though. Hubby said he seen someone walking what looked like a miniature husky. Could have been a Klee Kai, or a.....ugh......pomskie. I've never seen it.
Back to top Go down
makav3li
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 7:21 pm

we wanted a husky but our place isnt big enough to accommodate one so we ended up getting this 4 pound 8 week old terror

Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 30730112
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 7:37 pm

Oh man...Ohhhh man.. Cute puppy I love you
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 8:50 pm

cute. Which kennel did you get him from?
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 8:57 pm

What a cutie!! I met my first AKK the other day at the dog park and he was hilarious! He was just this little Jack Russel sized dog running around chasing the big dogs like he was the boss of the park! And he's so quick! His housemate was a border collie and those to played rough together but the Klee Kai certainly held his own. In fact, he started most of the wrestling matches. It made me want one even more. Just as soon as I have my house.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Super cute! I would like to know which kennel he comes from as well. What size is he expected to be full grown?

I am positive my next dog will be a Klee Kai. If you stick around I would love to watch him grow!

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 12:45 am

thanks for the kind words, he flew in from kansas. we got him from a farm called dakota ridge from a nice lady named bonnie. bonnie expects that he should be 25 pounds or so fully grown.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 12:49 am

Uhhh...when I googled Dakota Ridge the VERY first thing that came up was the fact that she has done business under 6 different names and people are very adamant about not buying from her...

How exactly did you find this lady?

Edit*-Someone who bought a "pup from her died from Parvo. Has your pup been to the vet yet?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 12:55 am

I don't know anything about Dakota Ridge, so I will not pass judgement. I know only a few ethical AKK breeders, and they are hard to come by and have a very limited gene pool. The breed is known for less than solid temperament, so try very hard work on socialization with both humans and dogs.

I wouldn't be scared off by parvo. Any dog can get parvo and it doesn't necessarily come from the kennel. Even a pet parent can being in parvo from being at a pet store. It just happens.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 12:56 am

I was just letting them know in case they hadn't been to the vet yet. All that I found from searching for 2 minutes were all negative. I hope everything works out for you and your puppy.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 3:38 am

Usually because only people who have had a bad experience, will review a breeder Wink

But I've done a lot of research on AKKs because I was considering getting one, but like Megan said, a good breeder that is helping to improve this new breed is VERY hard to come by, and it's hard to get a puppy from them. You usually need to, even if the dog is altered, get all health testing done.
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 3:46 am

I've looked into AKKs a lot and Dakota Ridge is not a name I'm familiar with so I'm not too sure about this breeder.

Either way, what's done is done. Now's just your time to enjoy your puppy! Because of the potential of poor breeding, I would keep a close eye out on some of the health issues that are common with AKK. You're going to want to familiarize yourself with Factor VII. As with all little dogs, patella luxation & hypoglycemia are possible. I'd also have your vet check thyroid every so often, maybe make it a part of your annual exam. **I amend this statement. These are things to look out for regardless of how good the breeder is.

Along with what Jennet said, did your breeder ask you to keep her updated? As a new breed, the breeders are trying to keep tabs on what they produce. That way they know that if any health issues come up, they should not continue breeding the parents.

Again, what's done is done, but just for future reference and fyi. I love learning this kind of stuff but I know it's not up everyone's alley.
Back to top Go down
makav3li
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 2:24 pm

she told she still keep tabs on her past puppies. we were going to get a different one but we asked if we could get this one instead. she didnt want to send us the other one since he was going to be second choice and wanted a good home for him. there were already people trying to get him. she sent me all his shot records and we are waiting for a few more weeks to get his other one. he already went to the vet and he checked out fine. thanks for all the tips. he came with a paws 1 year warranty.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 2:33 pm

I'd just be careful because AKK are notorius for heart murmurs and other health problems. Do you know if the parents had health testing?
Back to top Go down
makav3li
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 2:59 pm

that was something i did not ask, but i will call her later today to find out the health conditions of the parents. i was just so excited to get him and i never purchased a dog before. thanks for letting me know.

does anyone recommend any good health insurance out there? at petsmart they are hard selling me their plan but i dont think its that great. it covers visits, vaccinations and health test but does not cover surgeries or anything like that to my knowledge. the neuter part i get but they have a discount program for the city which is less than 50 bucks. heck if i get a rabbit they would pay me to fix them. the vet told me its not health insurance its just preventive maintenance. i can get discount vaccinations from a few vets down the street from me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alaskan Klee Kai's   Alaskan Klee Kai's - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Alaskan Klee Kai's

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next