It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Limited AKC Registration

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kaya
Newborn
Newborn
Kaya

Female Join date : 2011-12-24

Limited AKC Registration Empty
PostSubject: Limited AKC Registration   Limited AKC Registration EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 6:09 pm

Hi all...

I'm sorry If i've missed it here somewhere already but does anyone have advice on Limited Registration with the AKC. My breeder issued one of those and I read up online the only way to change it is if the breeder does. Basically it means any puppies Kaya will ever produce in the future won't be AKC certified and I already know I'd like to keep any future puppies of hers and she wouldn't be eligible for competition in conformation shows. I haven't called the breeder to ask to have it changed yet, I guess I'm just gathering all the facts on it but I'm super upset now since I didn't even know that at the time I bought Kaya. I wouldn't change Kaya or take her back ever since I love her so much but I really do want to change her to a full registration....

Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Limited AKC Registration   Limited AKC Registration EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 6:29 pm

If you bought her as a "pet" quality puppy from your breeder the breeder will most likely not change the registration. You probably also signed a contract that said she had to be spayed before X amount of time passes also.

Breeders who place puppies with families as "pets" feel that they have some fault or another that doesn't meet the breed standard and wouldn't benefit or better the breed by breeding that dog. And they don't want anymore unnecessary puppies out there and they certainly don't want any of their dogs producing puppies that aren't health tested (OFA, CERF, Heart etc) and proven.

The breeder probably won't change her to full registration. If you wanted a foundation bitch (if you're staring your own conformation kennel or something) you would have bought a show quality puppy. (probably under co-ownership. Hopefully Sara will chime in as she's more knowledgeable on this stuff)

Limited AKC Registration Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Limited AKC Registration   Limited AKC Registration EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 6:39 pm

It means she sold her to you as a pet. You don't have the rights to breed her or show her.

Did you sign a contract? You should probably check to see if it had you agree to spay her.

Our Zoey has a limited registration, and the papers we signed said she'd be spayed by 6 months old..
Back to top Go down
Kaya
Newborn
Newborn
Kaya

PostSubject: Re: Limited AKC Registration   Limited AKC Registration EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 6:55 pm

I didn't sign a contract to spay her... Just a purchase contract...

So I can't show Kaya as a husky at all?

I talked to some of the other families with puppies from this breeder and they've all been placed as pets. Wouldn't that mean that none of the dogs meet the breed standard? I can understand the unnecessary puppies and health requirements. There are a lot of other people out there who want to run puppy mills and abuse their dogs and people who really don't want their puppies or understand or have the patience... etc.... but Kaya is a really lovely dog and coming along wonderfully in her classes as well...

I don't know... I guess I'm just looking for advice...

thanks everyone...
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Limited AKC Registration   Limited AKC Registration EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 7:02 pm

Yes, in your purchase contract one of the conditions to you purchasing Kaya would have probably been that by X amount of months old or by X amount of time you had to get her spayed. It wouldn't have been a separate contract. It would just be part of the purchase contract. If you read it it probably says.

Everyone thinks their dog is lovely and amazing and beautiful and they also think that their dog is an excellent representative of that breed Smile. But sometimes that's not the case. Just because the breeder placed them as "pets" doesn't mean that they aren't bred to standard. It just means that they have faults (qualities) that aren't within the standard. The breed standard is interpreted differently by each individual but it is supposed to represent what the "perfect" dog of each breed would be.

Showing a dog is a lot of time and money.

Back to top Go down
Kaya
Newborn
Newborn
Kaya

PostSubject: Re: Limited AKC Registration   Limited AKC Registration EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 7:27 pm

Time and money aren't an issue for me really. I'm lucky and blessed enough for this to be true. Lucky Kaya gets lots of trips to the park and beach!

I've read the purchase contract top to bottom several times (it's not even a page long). The only thing on it is that I agree to obtain from the seller a Siberian Husky, the price I paid and a health guarantee.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Limited AKC Registration   Limited AKC Registration EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 7:36 pm

Does the breeder you purchased her from regularly show their Siberians? Is he/she a member of the Siberian Husky Club of America? (there's only two in Hawaii that's why I ask since I see you're in Honolulu).

I honestly wouldn't request a change from limited to full registration. Do you know if Kaya's parents and grandparents have OFA and CERF scores or if any kind of testing was done for their heart? So you can at least see what possible problems she might have (and reputable/good breeder will do all these tests [and probably more] to ensure the health of their dogs)

If you want to get into conformation contact one of the breeders that are a member of the SHCA and tell them of your interest to handle and that you're seeking a mentor. They might let you learn to work with one of their dogs. Start going to shows and learning all you can.

I'd get Kaya spayed and just have a good life with her (especially!!! if her parents and grandparents have no testing done. Then there is no good reason to want to breed her as her health background would be unknown). If money is no option - work under one of the SHCA breeders to see if you really are willing to put in all of the time, money and effort to handle (and more importantly to learn if you actually really enjoy doing it) and when you're ready get on a list for one of their puppies (or import).

Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Limited AKC Registration   Limited AKC Registration EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 11:42 pm

Haha, Ceara, all your info looks right!

Kim, this is something you'd need to talk to the breeder about. You cannot show her in conformation with a limited registration, but you can show in Obedience, Agility, Rally, etc. If you honestly want to breed, find a mentor who breeds and shows siberians. Look on the Siberian Husky Club of America's site and read all of their info about health problems, conformation, ethical breeding practices, etc. There are just too many huskies in shelters and rescues to breed with no purpose other than you like your dog and want puppies. Only dogs who fit the breed standard as best possible, have excelent temperment, and good health should be bred and there's a whole lot that goes into finding a good stud too.

I was in the same boat as you when I got my first husky Siku. We love her to death and would love to bred her to have more baby Siku's running around, but after studying the breed standard and knowing that none of her relatives (except for a few one her mother's side) had been tested for hip and eye problems (she came from a BYB) we decided it would be best to get her spayed. I did want to try showing, so I found a nice show kennel and bought my show puppy Elara. I've been showing Elara and plan on trying agility with both girls.

So think long and hard about breeding and know that there is a dog overpopulation problem in this country that you don't want to add to. Reputable breeders will have it in their contracts to take the dog back if ever need be so they don't end up in shelters or bad homes. Are you prepared to take on a puppy that's returned 4 yrs later?

Limited AKC Registration Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Limited AKC Registration   Limited AKC Registration EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 12:06 am

Kaya wrote:
I've read the purchase contract top to bottom several times (it's not even a page long). The only thing on it is that I agree to obtain from the seller a Siberian Husky, the price I paid and a health guarantee.
Going just by this information here, I'm going to wager a guess that the breeder you bought Kaya from is not going to be one who's line would be reputable enough to continue. For all the reasons why this is, Sarah and Ceara have listed all the important points.

The bottom line is this: if Kaya was breeding stock, she would have been sold with a full registration. A limited registration means one of two things: a) there are particular attributes of her that do not make her a good candidate for breeding OR b) you did not express interest in breeding your dog and the breeder sold you a dog on the assumption that it would only be for a pet. If your breeder didn't ask you any questions regarding your intentions to breed or be a pet owner, then I'm going to bet that your breeder isn't one that is selling a breeding stock puppy.

No matter which is the case, the answer truly is the same: get her spayed. The truth is that if you were ready or serious about breeding, you would not be asking us this question before you purchased Kaya. However, if you are serious about breeding, follow Sara's and Ceara's advice. Good puppies and starting a reputable kennel are worth waiting for and an education is the best place to start. Smile

Limited AKC Registration Hailey10
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Limited AKC Registration   Limited AKC Registration EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 12:31 am

Also to add- There's a lot more than just getting a stud to mate with your female; you need to know what time in estrus she is in when she is in heat and when to bring in the male, not to mention all the complications that may arise during pregnancy, during labor, or afterward. Breeding is not something to be taken lightly. Plus, you would need to get Kaya hip and eye tested at 2 years old and have the results sent to a board of veterinarians for review before breeding.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Limited AKC Registration   Limited AKC Registration Empty

Back to top Go down

Limited AKC Registration

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1