It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* Empty
PostSubject: Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*   Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Neo, all I have to say is I got your number buddy....... I hope, one sec for pics of the fine fencing job .....

Last edited by i<3neo on Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

PostSubject: Re: Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*   Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 1:46 pm

I did the gate too cause he looked like he had been digging there.

Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* Fence210

Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* Fence310

Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* Fence110
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

PostSubject: Re: Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*   Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 1:48 pm

Next project..... Holes!!!!!

Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* Holes10

The boys having fun while I am hard at work

Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* Noe_an10
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*   Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 1:49 pm

hey if the redneck way works, Use it. HAHA
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

PostSubject: Re: Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*   Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 1:51 pm

Aint that the truth! It would cost too much to redo the whole fence the way I want it. So I have to make do with what I can afford. Chicken Wire = 9$, Wire Cutters = 6$ Stakes = 10$, safety of having your dog not weaving in and out of cars = priceless!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*   Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 1:54 pm

i<3neo wrote:
Chicken Wire = 9$, Wire Cutters = 6$ Stakes = 10$, safety of having your dog not weaving in and out of cars = priceless!

lol! i love it!

hey if it works use it! i have chicken wire all over the back yard trying to keep them out of my garden, now they just hop over it, i might take it down in the summer and see if they kill all my plants....

Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

PostSubject: Re: Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*   Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 3:55 pm

Neo kills my plants by peeing on them. I really need to get h fixed. Its been crazy here and I keep putting it off.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*   Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 4:14 pm

If that doesn't work, Jill - trench down a few inches, put the chicken wire in there, and then fill with quickcrete. Stops them from digging up the chicken wire! They have thicker chicken wire, too - the stuff with the squares. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

PostSubject: Re: Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*   Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 4:49 pm

Ill try that next. We rent s its hard to do it right. Hopefully this holds for a bit. He was sitting by one of the spots I fixed just staring at it. I can only imagine what was going through his head lol!
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*   Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 6:28 pm

i<3neo wrote:
He was sitting by one of the spots I fixed just staring at it. I can only imagine what was going through his head lol!

Now how can I get around that.... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*   Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 7:02 pm

Jill, that's impressive. I'm going to have to rig something up here. Our back fence is like 3.5' picket, and it's a bit flimsy. One of these years Ghost is going to figure out she can jump it...

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*   Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 7:26 pm

Oh gosh. You should see what I did to block gaps in the fence. I mainly used old logs I had in a pile in my backyard and the divider from one of my crates. lol.

Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*   Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 7:52 pm

Our back fence is 6 ft high, but out problem isn't the dogs jumping over....it's them going THROUGH and under. Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* 1625187496 It's a patchwork of plywood, new pickets and original fencing as well as rocks and bricks to try and fill in the holes. We're slowly acquiring the pieces to replace one side of the fence...bring on the concrete and chicken wire!! lol
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

PostSubject: Re: Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*   Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 8:20 pm

Meredith, our fence is only 4 foot, he is to smart to go over, he'd rather go under , I'm thinking about running hot wire on the top just in case
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*   Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 8:28 pm

I might have to run hot wire if she gets bad about it. Hell, that might even help with the cat problem... Ghost hasn't tried to dig under the fence yet, but we are getting quite the collection of holes in the yard. I think it's time to get a sandbox for her to dig in. The rest of our fence is the nice 6' wood panel, but the back sucks. I asked about putting the 6' stuff back there, but the landlord wasn't too cool about that.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*   Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 9:41 pm

Demon&amp;Dakota wrote:
Our back fence is 6 ft high, but out problem isn't the dogs jumping over....it's them going THROUGH and under.

At my first house, Dakota learned within the first week of putting up my fence that he could break the boards at the bottom. I was so mad! I had this huge back yard and spent all this money on this wood privacy fence and couldn't use it! It was my fault though....I should have done the research first. All I worried about was him jumping it, not breaking it!
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

PostSubject: Re: Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*   Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 11:28 pm

Ok well, neo tore a hole through the chicken wire . I am open to cost effective methods of keeping him in the fence!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*   Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 6:34 am

30ft. steel cable lead works really well.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*   Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 10:24 am

neo wrote:
Ok well, neo tore a hole through the chicken wire . I am open to cost effective methods of keeping him in the fence!

Remember when you were watching him stare at the patch and wondering what he was thinking...

My guess is "How many foot-pounds of energy must be applied to that chicken wire as opposed to the more sturdy wire? And what points on this fencing appear most vulnerable?" And probably some mathematical equation he could use to aid in his escape....

I'm thinking within a few minutes he had his answer! I tell you, these guys are SMART...

Did you use stakes? We do not leave Sabaka outside unsupervised, but our entire fence is made of welded wire fencing (the rolls with little rectangles) that we stretched over a pre-existed split-rail fence. My husband pounded steel stakes in the ground in a few areas where there are gaps or where the dog is messing with the fence or the ground. If you get (or make...I don't know what he did...can you saw rebar?) rebar or metal tomato stakes that are about a foot tall and space them a few inches apart, Neo should not be able to dig or "squiggle" out. I'm assuming that you don't need to do this all the way around the fencing, that could get expensive!

These pups... Good luck!
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

PostSubject: Re: Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*   Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 12:21 pm

Len, I actually did tie him out with a steel cable, and he kept running to the end of it and jerking himself back. If I do that again I'm hoping he will stop before he hurts himself. I used metal stakes, but he actually tore a hole through where the hole in the original fence was. He didn't even touch the stakes lol. Damn dog is going to give me a heart attack. He escaped in the time it took me to wash a few dishes lol. I'm just going to have to find a good book to read while I sit on the back porch so I can watch him.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*   Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 1:38 pm

Jill - check out the thicker "chicken wire" that they use to set concrete. You can't bend it easily. Like I said, dig a trench that's deep enough to put quickcrete in - but leave the last inch empty so you can put dirt and grass seed on top. If you move, you can always break it up with a sledgehammer and remove.

Or do hot wire. Supplies should be $60-150 depending on how long you need it and where you get it. Try a farm supply store. We used the Parmak one for horses. For anyone that objects to it - better a dog that knows it's boundaries than a dead dog.
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

PostSubject: Re: Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*   Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 3:07 pm

I'm def going to hotwire the top and the bottom, but it will be after xmas. I'm trying to quick fix it till then. I had some landscape timbers I attached to the fence. I couldn't budge them, and I pit 4 layers of the chicken wire on the inside of the timbers . I thought about getting privacy slats that go through the chain link, and trenchant those. Ill have to talk to the landlord to see if tats something he will allow us to do
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*   Redneck engineering at its finest!  * or not* Empty

Back to top Go down

Redneck engineering at its finest! * or not*

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1