It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How often do you bathe...?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

Male Join date : 2011-11-16

How often do you bathe...? Empty
PostSubject: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 1:13 am

err....how often do you bathe your husky?!
I've heard different opinions on this. I have heard several say that sibes keep them selves clean and only need bathing a couple times a year to help quicken the shed cycle. I have found that Jasmine keeps herself relatively clean but not as clean as I would like. I would like to think it would be ok to bath her at least once a month. Some, however have said that bathing too often can cause skin problems. Is this true with quality shampoo and food and fish oil capsels?
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 1:29 am

Most of the time I bathe to remove some nasty, foul crud that Sabaka has gotten into. ...or some other dog's spit after a visit with one of his friends (however that is often just a "spot bath" with real water and shampoo but not scrubbing deep to the skin.)

When our first husky got old and less likely to get into things, she got less baths and she would leave oily, yellow residue on the places where she slept alot. She had a favorite spot in the living room that really got gross looking between carpet cleanings. I guess she could have had more baths...Laughing
Back to top Go down
Legend_of_Faolan
Teenager
Teenager
Legend_of_Faolan

Female Join date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 11:26 am

I have only bathes Faolan 3 times since I got him in July. He goes to the dog park and regularly gets muddy and gross, but I swear just an hour later he is back to being pure white and spotless. The first two times I bathed him were the first week I got him and he pooped in his kennel and got it all over himself. The third time was a flea bath because he picked up fleas from the dog park. Occasionally I wipe him down with a wet paper towel if he got something nasty on him, but I will only bathe him if its something really bad!
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 11:33 am

Ive only bathed neo four times since getting him this summer . Once for shedding , twice for a flea problem, and last weekend due to the amount of rain and mud we have had. Only once was he bathed for being dirty. Huskys are pretty clean dogs.
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 12:38 pm

We haven't bathed Isis yet, but we've only had her for ~3 months.

She got pretty icky in the 10 days with her cone on (after her spay), but the day after it came off, she was back to spotless.

So far she's always cleaned herself quickly, even after digging in the mud. I have noticed that if you sniff the top of her head it "smells like dog," but, I don't make a point to do that often.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 12:39 pm

Appa gets a bath about once a month.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 2:15 pm

i think were on a 3-4 times a yr bath. i just gave them a bath in Nov. before family pictures and i can't remember the last time i gave them a bath before that.... i know it was still warm out as i did it at home in the back yard. i think sierra gets more dirty then jack but she is always laying in the dirt. they never smell, i tend to wash them if they get into something gross on a hike or i notice i have a film of dirt on my hand after a good long deep rub down, petting session. i would say to not do it more then once a month.

Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 3:21 pm

yup every 3-4 Months for my Girls . Now i Noticed baby puppy has dry skin.. He got like 3 cuz he kept gettin really Dirtybut none in last 3 wks hes startin to stay clean
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 3:25 pm

I wash mine about once a week or everyother week. Mainly cause of the dog parks I bring them to on the weekends (one has a pond and my two can find mud anywhere!) and we've started letting them sleep on our bed with us, so we want them really clean! Plus I need to keep Elara's white markings white for shows.

I personally don't think it is an issue with how often you bathe a dog as long as you find a good shampoo that doesn't strip the oils from their skin. The ones that are safe to use with flea and tick meds are fine I think, cause the fles and tick meds use the body oils to spread out. So if it's not removing the meds then it's not removing the oils.

How often do you bathe...? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 4:58 pm

Hmm...the last bath my sibe got was 1 yr and 3 months ago. Very Happy He looks fantastic, has no odor, his coat is quite clean and his white parts are totally white (like they'd be if he'd just had a bath). My secret? My high velocity dryer. I only bathe my sibe as needed, since I got my HV dryer I hardly ever find it necessary. Mud, dirt, water, a shedding coat, dandruff, etc...no match for my dryer. Wink

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 5:10 pm

We take them to the groomer every 2 months for a bath Smile
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 6:41 pm

How do you guys dry them after the bath? My main concern is causing problems because she doesn't dry quickly enough, or is that not as much of an issue as I've seen other places online?
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 6:44 pm

I bathe kale every 4-5 months at the self dog wash at Pet Extreme, I dry him with the provided high-power blow dryer. Only takes about 5-8 mins to dry him almost completely.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 7:03 pm

Domingo wrote:
How do you guys dry them after the bath? My main concern is causing problems because she doesn't dry quickly enough, or is that not as much of an issue as I've seen other places online?
in the summer i take them on a long walk and use a ton of towels to dry them but they stay damp till the next day. or in the winter we take them to a self wash place and use the dryers. thats really the best option if you have the $ and time. i found a place for $10 a dog but its a drive.

Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 7:19 pm

jbealer wrote:
i found a place for $10 a dog but its a drive.

Where? What is this place?? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 7:43 pm

http://www.citybark.com/lodo_pricing.htm

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 8:42 pm

I bath my 2 about once every 4 to 6 weeks.

I have a HV dryer so during the summer, we just bathe them in the back yard. The dryer takes about 10-15 minutes to get them dry.

During the winter, we will go to Chewy's maybe 2x to give them a bath because I like their tubs a lot better than most self-wash places. It's a little more, but they have a punch card which brings the cost down to $13, and they're only 5 minutes from my house.

The HV dryer also doubles to blow out the garage instead of sweeping it out...Oh! And it also blow out their coat when it's their shed cycle Smile Get them nice and fluffy!

I must say, buying the HV dryer was worth it!

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 8:45 pm

I saw an HV dryer at Petsmart on clearance for $99, so tempting..
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 9:18 pm

Usually wash the kidz if were expecting guests or for special occasions like getting their Santa picture taken. Last Friday took them to Pet Supplies Plus and the dog wash they have there.*
Two days later Adobo made another great escape from the play ground. Got her back 3+ hrs later filthy as all get out. A burdock clump the size of a softball in her tail, black muddy legs, and blood on her face (gut pile?). I removed the briar clump she took care of the rest but probably will get another bath this weekend.

(* Note to Pet Supplies Plus, you've lost me as a customer to your dog wash, don't be so cheap that no shampoo gets dispensed when it should come out.)
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 11:07 pm

Ghost has been to the groomer's once in the last seven months, and that was only in order that he keep our other dog company while there. Somehow the dirt just seems to fall off him.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 11:15 pm

Here4thePics wrote:

Two days later Adobo made another great escape from the play ground. Got her back 3+ hrs later filthy as all get out. A burdock clump the size of a softball in her tail, black muddy legs, and blood on her face (gut pile?). I removed the briar clump she took care of the rest but probably will get another bath this weekend.
Shocked Abodo got out?!!! How? I would have been dying!!!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 11:36 pm

Once a year. I don't know if Piper will be different but Dakota and Willow always stayed super clean and never smell! I never take mine to dog parks though, so maybe it would be different if I did. Mine stay inside except for our daily walks so that probably plays a huge part. I do walk mine even when it rains but I wipe them down as soon as we get home and I never notice any lingering smell or dirt. Usually a bath happens because one of them is sick and had diarrhea.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 6:31 am

MelissaI wrote:
Here4thePics wrote:

Shocked Abodo got out?!!! How? I would have been dying!!!

Well Beth says she has a bigger sigh of relief when Adobo makes it back home, just so she can see me finally relax. I don't do escapes well but I do get a lot of exercise in looking for her. (8+ miles this time)
Back to top Go down
desi
Puppy
Puppy
desi

Male Join date : 2011-10-17

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 11:00 am

Bob absolutely loves bathing, having a shower - strange isn't he - he somehow knows its the weekend - probably cos I am home and jumps into the bath himself and waits for someone to see him there. So he gets bathed whenever he wants which could be about two or three times a month in summer - in winter I do not bathe him at all.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 4:06 pm

Here4thePics wrote:

Well Beth says she has a bigger sigh of relief when Adobo makes it back home, just so she can see me finally relax. I don't do escapes well but I do get a lot of exercise in looking for her. (8+ miles this time)

Woah, Adobo got a long way!
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How often do you bathe...?   How often do you bathe...? Empty

Back to top Go down

How often do you bathe...?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next