It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Zoey is eating her tail?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Zoey is eating her tail?! Empty
PostSubject: Zoey is eating her tail?!   Zoey is eating her tail?! EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 5:07 am

She has given herself quite the haircut Shocked She has chomped off the tip of her tail, I found all the fur behind her kennel! It's a lot and it looks horrible! Why is she doing this?!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Zoey is eating her tail?!   Zoey is eating her tail?! EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 5:51 am

A few possibilities,

allergy (Fleas?)

boredom (weird I know)

injury (bit by Embry? or maybe caught in door while closing)

Stroke her tail to see if it hurts her if it does I'd lean toward injury, if not the I'd consider the 1st two possibilities.

Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Zoey is eating her tail?!   Zoey is eating her tail?! EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 8:00 am

Our first husky did that ALL the time. It was embarrassing, for sure! You have this beautiful husky with a weird, crazy haircut on her tail. We looked into it for years and assumed it was boredom or pent up energy while in her crate. She would occasionally do it after she was allowed free roam in the house. She never did it when we were home (that would rule out skin itches of any sort - allergies, fleas,... - if it were those, she would have been gnawing more).

I would check for that lone flea or flea bite and watch to see if she nibbles when you are home.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Zoey is eating her tail?!   Zoey is eating her tail?! EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 10:08 am

Kody took it off too! But that's because he's psycho and chases his tail. When he finally catches it he holds on for dear life and goes around for circles for a while..lol.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Zoey is eating her tail?!   Zoey is eating her tail?! EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 11:19 am

Melissa that is hilarious! Willow is always trying to shave Dakota's tail. He will be laying down minding his own business and she starts grabbing his tail and try to rip out the hair and eat it. Luckily I am always right there and make her stop. Brat!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Zoey is eating her tail?!   Zoey is eating her tail?! EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 2:28 pm

She has a huge thing for Embrys tail, when they're playing she just chomps down.

She's so weird, I think it might just be out of boredom, or she's telling me she needs a new crate or she'll keep doing it, her's is getting way to small for her...
Back to top Go down
KoopaKrazy
Puppy
Puppy
KoopaKrazy

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Zoey is eating her tail?!   Zoey is eating her tail?! EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 11:32 am

Haha. Koopa eats his tail also. But he does it when we're home too. He chases his tail a lot but sometimes he'll be chewing on a toy and next thing we know he's holding his tail down with his paws ripping the hair out! Haha. But we just tell him no & he goes back to getting his toy.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Zoey is eating her tail?!   Zoey is eating her tail?! EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 12:05 pm

Bode did this too. He used to have a big white tip to his tail, now he just has a little bit with a tiny little clump of long white hairs. Once he got to that point though, he's never done it again. I guess he just didn't like how it looked before... Smile
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Zoey is eating her tail?!   Zoey is eating her tail?! EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 3:20 pm

I know this is an older thread, but my dog at home had terrible allergies when she was younger and ended up chewing off most of the hair on her tail. It was horrible. It also turned into an anxiety thing at some point and she started doing it when we left her alone or boarded her.

This may not be an issue anymore, but I'd keep a close watch on her. They can do some damage pretty quickly!
Back to top Go down
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

Male Join date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Zoey is eating her tail?!   Zoey is eating her tail?! EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 3:59 am

know this is old but didnt wanna make a new post.. my zoe is doing the same thing and im positive its boredom/ separation anxiety also. Does anyone know how to make it stop? she has literally eaten her hair down to the actual tail!
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Zoey is eating her tail?!   Zoey is eating her tail?! EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 10:01 am

I would try giving her something to occupy/stimulate her mind when you are separated. Perhaps a stuffed kong or a puzzle toy w/treats in it.

If that doesn't work, maybe hire a dog walker while you're at work.

Doggie daycare is also an option. That way she is around other dog's and people.

If none of those are an option, perhaps you could talk to you're vet and maybe get some medication to help calm her down while she has to be left alone. Express that she is being self destructive and I'm sure they will prescribe something.

I hope some of this helps.

Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Zoey is eating her tail?!   Zoey is eating her tail?! EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 8:30 pm

Zoey stopped when I started giving her Nylabones to chew on while we were gone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Zoey is eating her tail?!   Zoey is eating her tail?! Empty

Back to top Go down

Zoey is eating her tail?!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1